DoobieDucks' Hummingbirds

• Thread starter DoobieDuck
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DoobieDuck

DoobieDuck

Premium Member
Supporter
Medusa yes they all migrate around my neck of the woods. To friggin cold for them. Fushia you say, red right? Here is a self-potrait of one bugging the shit out of me trying to check out my bandanna.it was quite distracting so I set up my other camera and a remote release. .cheers..DD

3592-hummer-n-me-k-c-w-jpg.403642

3592 hummer n me K C W
Don Peppy

Don Peppy

I love my hummers.. They just returned last weekend.. Mine always go up to my plants and take one wiff or two.. I think its the aroma that they enjoy.. or a bug or two also.. Really love my bird watching.. Thanks for sharing.. Wish I had better photo skills..
DSC01094
Turkey strut

Last edited by a moderator:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Gobble gobble! I heard some gobblers the other day.

Medusa yes they all migrate around my neck of the woods. To friggin cold for them. Fushia you say, red right? Here is a self-potrait of one bugging the shit out of me trying to check out my bandanna.it was quite distracting so I set up my other camera and a remote release. .cheers..DD

3592-hummer-n-me-k-c-w-jpg.403642

I love that shot! The last time a hummer got that close to me I didn't realize what it was, thought it was a fat hornet and ran away. It chased me, musta been hilarious to watch.

I've spent *years* birdwatching, mostly in SoCal. The hummers there don't migrate for the most part, there are some species that tend to stay in the Mexico/Arizona regions (and I'm drawing a blank... Calliope? meh, anyway) and will fly back and forth depending on the season. When I moved up north I was pleasantly surprised to see we've got plenty of ruby throats out here in the Sierra, not happy to see the vacationer neighbors putting out feeders (I have strong opinions about that sort of thing, won't digress), but the bird population hasn't really changed when they do come and put out the feeders. But what's REALLY tripped me out is seeing hummers when there's snow and very cold weather. They seem to never leave, and I swear, how on earth do they find enough to eat? Trips me out every year. I do miss seeing all the other birds I used to see, like orioles and western tanagers and.. well, a lot of birds, but we've got plenty up here that I never saw down there, like western bluebirds.

Don Peppy

Don Peppy

I like to remove my humming bird feeders in early fall.. Let them get on there way back to the warm weather.. Where I should be.. And always keep them clean.. Plenty of orioles up north Seamaiden.. Having a indoor garden & watching birds is so soothing.. Keep watching sister.. DP.. Sorry about the messed up post earlier DD..
DSC04956

DoobieDuck

DoobieDuck

Premium Member
Supporter
I like to remove my humming bird feeders in early fall....

Don I too did remove mine, until I heard on TV one night that one does not have too. They claim the birds migration is controlled by sunlight or daylight hours; My guess is much like cannabis is. I did some research on it and after visiting some prominent hummer sites I found the same belief most everywhere. I still remove mine from about November thru the end of February as they freeze solid.

I have a diary I keep at home on which I note when they arrive each year. They have been showing back up every year for the past 12 years in the same week. One place I hang one feeder at is right outside a window where I can see it, 8 feet from my PC. There is nothing there to attract them what-so-ever if the feeder is not there. One showed up this spring and flew up to the window searching for the feeder that was there in the fall. I'm convinced he was here before.

Many thanks as always for your appreciation of my art. Here are some other images I have not shared with you from my Deep Chunk collection, some of these earlier in the grow..puff, puff, pass..DD

IMG 6879 hummer deep chunk C W
IMG 6920 hummer deep chunk C W
IMG 7183 hummer deep chunk C W
IMG 7189 hummer deep chunk C W

Last edited:
Don Peppy

Don Peppy

Awesome brother.. I heard that if you don't see one feeding at your feeder for about 5 to 7 days, then remove them.. Thats what I been doing.. Yes sometimes the late ones need a little sugar boost to make it down south.. Mine too arrive on or around the same time each year.. I log that stuff too..lol.. Mine show up the 1st week in may, and boogy out of town around the 1st week of oct. The end of sept. its like star wars out there.. I can have up to 15 of them zooming all over the place.. And there fat like little golf balls!..lol.. Thanks for sharing.. Amazing little creatures.. Best DP

urbanfog

urbanfog

saw my first of the year yesterday :D Let me get about 3 ft from it, almost wonder if its the same lil one from last yr, Ill have to go back through my pics and see if colors match. I said it before, but man you have some great pictures. Thank you for sharing

UF

neverbreak

neverbreak

some of those photos are frame worthy. u must have quick reflexes to snap those shots. respect bro.

neverbreak

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
saw my first of the year yesterday :D Let me get about 3 ft from it, almost wonder if its the same lil one from last yr, Ill have to go back through my pics and see if colors match. I said it before, but man you have some great pictures. Thank you for sharing

UF
Wow, really? Ours have never left so that seems so odd to me, that they'd stick around at some elevation but not down in the valley.

Doobie, I keep forgetting to ask you, do you photograph any other wildlife as regularly as the hummingbirds? Have you ever thought about making a trip down to one of the migration hot-spots, like down in Arizona? I bet you'd be a great underwater photog, too.

urbanfog

urbanfog

Wow, really? Ours have never left so that seems so odd to me, that they'd stick around at some elevation but not down in the valley.

I did not know that, always just figured they go away in winter because I dont see them like I do the rest of the year. Once the back yard is done I have a bunch of stuff to plant that will draw them and beneficial insects to the yard :D

"My flower brings the birds to the yard........" :headphone: lol

DoobieDuck

DoobieDuck

Premium Member
Supporter
Geeze guys, you humble me, all those replies are wonderful therapy for me in my state of health. Those really help make my day. Thank you!

..Doobie, I keep forgetting to ask you, do you photograph any other wildlife as regularly as the hummingbirds? Have you ever thought about making a trip down to one of the migration hot-spots, like down in Arizona? I bet you'd be a great underwater photog, too.

Seamaiden thanks for asking, yes, I've done wildlife imagery for 35 years. I'm just developing that page at my site, you can see some there. Hummers are not the only birds I capture either.
Making a trip, yes I've looked and dreamed for years. Mostly the Costa Rica type area, they have some spectacular hummers. Arizona might be do-able too, but my health does not allow me to go far from home and not for too along when I do, bummer dude.

From my collection, Bald Eagle, Lake Shasta 2011..DD

IMG 5662 Bald Eagle C K W
IMG 5666 Bald Eagle C K W

SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze

DD,

I had to show your pics to a few family members b/c I mentioned them when a hummingbird buzzed by us as we sat outside visiting. what are they attracted to and are they feeding or drinking or just admiring your beautiful girls?

thanks for sharing your work

OLDproLg

OLDproLg

DOOB FANTASTIC MAN hahaha!!!!!

Never knew ya had that shot of your face n the bird?
SO COOL n CLOSE TOO!!!

You have inspired me to try n take a few pix myself..
ive got a few florida hummingbird native bushes!!
They have long tubular red flowers an bloom summers,
so i always see them as im sitting smokin on my couch so i will try a zoom maybe an get some shots hopefully but they moove so FAST!
AS they go from 1 flower to the next,than gone!
Love seeing them always in my yard...
Peace,do it up old friend!!!
Lou

SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze

Lou,

the ones here come by like clockwork, ~2:30 pm and then gone in a flash. if your are the same set up and be ready for them.

Top Bottom