Double potting Smart Pots?

• Thread starter Texas Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I've tryed 2 transplant a 1 gal smart pot in2 a 3 gal smart pot & it seemed 2 work juss fine.. But next time I think I might juss plant the 1 gal pot 1/2 way in2 the coco 2 give them more room 2 grow.. But I did notice the roots do grow a Lil bit better if u take the smaller smart pot off. Its also 2 many pots 2 buy so now I juss pull the plant out of the 1 gal smart pot so I can use it again.. I don't have lots of money 2 by lots of smart pots.. I can't afford 2 buy 2 pots 4 every plant.. If u reuse ur smart pots it's a lot harder 2 get that 1gal smart pot back b'cuz of all the root growth threw the 1 gal pot..

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

i did it with success in roots pots but i did actually take a razor and cut the bottom into an X. geopots make transferable pots with velcro so its much easier to transplant. if you try it i hope to track it so we can all see.

tweedy

tweedy

I know that without pictures it doesn't seem to be true but I have a friend who I would consider to be a very good gardener with very respectable yields do exactly this. It eventually goes from about a 3 gallon smart pot, into a 5, into a 20 for flower. Originally a 10g, he found the 20 yielded better. Ends up looking like a little pagoda, very cute, ha. I don't know if he has found that he prefers to just plant in 20's but I know this way he could still deal with coco and his bad back.

Skummy

Skummy

Yes TK is right ive doubled up pots and have had great success.... Reason was I hate repotting plants outta the smaller,smart pots due to how much root damage I do while doing so!
I honestly think both ways slow growth somewhat so maybe smart pots be used for final stages and use cups or small 1 gall pots!

Biggest problem with doubled pots is the second pot doesnt get used 100% like it woyld if it was repotted....

Ive pulled half pounds per plant this way before if that helps any!

Dro

nangonug

nangonug

Premium Member
Supporter
im doin it to one of my outdoor plants, im using square root aeration containers and i read somewhere that they arnt supposed to be transplanted instead they are supposed to be doubled potted so im givin it a shot, i went from a 3 gallon into a 30
Bliss I use 30 gallon pots indoors you need to step up to the big ones for outside. think 65 gallon or bigger. Hell go with a 200. There were some on craigs list the other day for 20 bucks. Your yealds would be more in line with outdoor growing. Hell I got a couple 65's I could loan you for the season. I did this once. I put one in the pot and ripped one out and planted it with out the pot. Went from 3 gallon to 25 gallon smart pots. This is antidotial but the one that I ripped out of the pot seamed to root out a bit quicker. The roots grew right through the lower part of the smaller pot but seamed to not root the upper portion so well. My advice unless there are a lot of roots growing through your bag just peel it off and transplant. Most plants won't even hiccup

420bliss

420bliss

Bliss I use 30 gallon pots indoors you need to step up to the big ones for outside. think 65 gallon or bigger. Hell go with a 200. There were some on craigs list the other day for 20 bucks. Your yealds would be more in line with outdoor growing. Hell I got a couple 65's I could loan you for the season. I did this once. I put one in the pot and ripped one out and planted it with out the pot. Went from 3 gallon to 25 gallon smart pots. This is antidotial but the one that I ripped out of the pot seamed to root out a bit quicker. The roots grew right through the lower part of the smaller pot but seamed to not root the upper portion so well. My advice unless there are a lot of roots growing through your bag just peel it off and transplant. Most plants won't even hiccup

ya i know the bigger the better, the 30 were the biggest i had :(, about how much soil or coco would it take to fill a 65 or 100? cu/ft?

their gettin pretty big for being in 30's one is in a 20 (or maybe smaller) and it is taller and wider than me already though im only 5'9 140 , and they still have like 2 more months veg, you think they will get root bound? even if the roots are going into the ground below?

xrob415x

xrob415x

I tried it didnt notice and negative effects. It is almost impossible to transplant out of regular smartpots without cutting them. They now have ones with velcrow down the side specifically for transplanting

xrob415x

xrob415x

O yea pm jackmayoffer about this I seen him do it in his grow diaries

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
They would still air prune at the outter edge of each pot but I don't kniw if after you totally enclose them in soil again if the roots take off to the next airpot and then air prune again at the outter skin of the next one.....

I'll know before long in a side by side
yo tex they have smary's that the side is held together with velcro so its easy to transplant they are the transplantable smart pots

Chobble

Chobble

FWIW - I just called smart pot. They said no.

outwest

I dont think Smart pots would be the best think for this, I would say a cheaper fabric pot, if not one made to bio-degrade

Does anybody have experience double potting or up potting in Smart Pots?

I want to go from a 1 or 3 gallon Smart Pot to a 5 or 7 gallon Smart Pot without trying to remove the smaller Smart pot from the rootmass. I just want to transplant the entire pot into the next size up...

I've seen my brutha Coloradro do it I think but not sure of the success..

Tex

The Smart pot fabric takes a while to break down under most conditions. so yet again I would look for a cheaper fabric pot that is made for one season.

They would still air prune at the outter edge of each pot but I don't kniw if after you totally enclose them in soil again if the roots take off to the next airpot and then air prune again at the outter skin of the next one.....

I'll know before long in a side by side

With no air to prune the roots I would assume so.

Good luck TK, I've been reading a bunch of uni studies on smart pots. Very Sure I will be switching to them for 100% of my pots when I get the money. Please keep us posted on this :0

Chobble

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

I dont think Smart pots would be the best think for this, I would say a cheaper fabric pot, if not one made to bio-degrade

The Smart pot fabric takes a while to break down under most conditions. so yet again I would look for a cheaper fabric pot that is made for one season.

With no air to prune the roots I would assume so.

Good luck TK, I've been reading a bunch of uni studies on smart pots. Very Sure I will be switching to them for 100% of my pots when I get the money. Please keep us posted on this :0

Chobble

ROOTS pots are made from recycled material and break down much faster then smart pots. i double potted a ROOTS pot and it worked fine, especially cuz i took and cut the bottom into an X.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I don't see how smart pots- especially ones designed to break down- are less expensive/ more desirable than a good plastic airpruning style pot? I've seen some good ones, some that even unfold for no hassle potting up.

Chobble

Chobble

I don't see how smart pots- especially ones designed to break down- are less expensive/ more desirable than a good plastic airpruning style pot? I've seen some good ones, some that even unfold for no hassle potting up.

I have not seen those >.< I have only seen ones that you cut off and throw away. Smart pots last many seasons not just one though and they're a little more "eco friendly" then plastic. They have also been proven to be more breathable and produce better root systems then plastic nursery bags. This was all in tomato plants but the point is still the point.

Another thing they found is that you can do almost all organic material in the fabric one (Cutting back on perlite). Just food for thought.

Chobble

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

I have not seen those >.< I have only seen ones that you cut off and throw away. Smart pots last many seasons not just one though and they're a little more "eco friendly" then plastic. They have also been proven to be more breathable and produce better root systems then plastic nursery bags. This was all in tomato plants but the point is still the point.

Another thing they found is that you can do almost all organic material in the fabric one (Cutting back on perlite). Just food for thought.

Chobble
image019.jpg

plastic pots for the most part are made from recycled HDPE plastic and can be recycled again. i have actually taken abunch of old cracked and broken pots to the recycler and got paid $1.10 per pound.

BirdDog1

BirdDog1

I'd do it. I flood and drain soil and in veg the smartpots touch eachother. The roots grow straight into the next bag no problem, not to mention the large amount of roots that grow through 3 foot long and drink straight from the crevases in my flood table during flower. I doubt they would miss a beat.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
i have done this but by examining the root mass after harvesting i don not think i would do it again, i was told but a professor in one of my botany classes to go around the outside of the rootball on the edge of the smart pot and drive the shovel in around and along the edge of ur smartpot then peel it down like peeling a banana. i tend to do this when root mass has dried out a bit so the mass stays together then after tp i water the hell out of them with soluble kelp and dyna grow silica amendment so as to reduce shock, ive also used house and gardens root excelurator for a week after tp, so as to boost root production. i have put a smartpot in another smartpot but then you have 2 smartpots in use as opposed to one, as i run perpetually this is a bad idea because 2x's increases overhead cost and thus reduces profit margiin. dont get me wrong it will work just not sure of the benefits. i should also mention since i switched to air pots i will never go back to smarties!! i run smarts up to the final tp then they go in the big airpots and i freekin love em!! twice the plant out of half the soil.

I agree bout the airpots!! Fuck everything else! Granted, I have never used cloth bags, but reading all the downfalls of them simply to achieve air pruning ( including all the things that have been metioned in this thread alone) makes airports much better choices! Include the fact that they are easy to store when not using them, the are rigid and last time after time, easy to clean, easy to transplant, air prune awesomely, in chow mix they dry out nice and even . Only down fall is u have to feed slowly or it drips out the side of the pots. Great thread btw.
Confu...

I'll take some pix and post em if no one else does.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Duhh, Chobble posted a pix of it already.
Confu...

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Mean bigcheese did, dam I'm high
Confu...

Latest posts

Top Bottom