Double potting Smart Pots?

• Thread starter Texas Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Ohh, wait I forget one huge downfall of air pots, root aphids LOVE them and I lost a battle while growing in them. I fought and won in other containers but with air pots an the holes on the side, the flyers can access root mass so easily and colonize from below not jus the surface.

Confu...

M

manicinmaine

I agree bout the airpots!! Fuck everything else! Granted, I have never used cloth bags, but reading all the downfalls of them simply to achieve air pruning ( including all the things that have been metioned in this thread alone) makes airports much better choices! Include the fact that they are easy to store when not using them, the are rigid and last time after time, easy to clean, easy to transplant, air prune awesomely, in chow mix they dry out nice and even . Only down fall is u have to feed slowly or it drips out the side of the pots. Great thread btw.
Confu...

I'll take some pix and post em if no one else does.
yeah bruh, i make a well in top of mine and plant in that u know build walls up with soil then keep middle low so u can plant in there, thn when u water it slowly absorbs and u dont loose any

ttystikk

ttystikk

There are airpots and now there are ez roots aeration frames. Anyone know which is best? If I'm going to be using them in 5 gallon buckets (for darkness and runoff) is one gonna be better than the other? I'm assuming the advantages of both stand whether you're using soil, coco, or chow mix? Still learning about these...

Billygoat

Billygoat

Some of the guys in Humboldt are using Airpots. Since the bottom of the airpots have a grill mesh. They just take the smaller one and plant it into the bigger one. It's as easy as that. No restriction and the bottom roots sense the new soil and go to town. The mesh size is pretty large and it's easy for them to grow through. You can also pop out the bottom. I'm doing a run now in the 7.5 litter container now.
Good luck TK
BG

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
There are airpots and now there are ez roots aeration frames. Anyone know which is best? If I'm going to be using them in 5 gallon buckets (for darkness and runoff) is one gonna be better than the other? I'm assuming the advantages of both stand whether you're using soil, coco, or chow mix? Still learning about these...

I think the Ez roots r the knockoffs. i think there made by GH, I have one and if cheap thin plastic that isnt built to last, other than that prolly work jus the same. I never used the one I have, seems to flimsly.

Confu...

ttystikk

ttystikk

I think the Ez roots r the knockoffs. i think there made by GH, I have one and if cheap thin plastic that isnt built to last, other than that prolly work jus the same. I never used the one I have, seems to flimsly.

Confu...

Cheap and flimsy, huh? haven't examined one in the flesh as yet, just going by the pics online. I also discovered that Sunlight Supply wants you to buy fabric pots to put in them. I suppose that's to keep dirt from falling through the slots, but for those of us using larger chunks in our chow mix, it should be okay. My main interest is finding something along these lines that sits right on the rim of a 5 gallon bucket and doesn't rest on the bottom, where it would be much more susceptible to drowning or root rot.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
^^^ mabe jus a 5 gal net pot??
Confu...

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
The EZ roots use that liner which kind of just make it a smart pot in a basket. Not sure if that's comparable to the air pot. I'm giving air pots a try next run.

outwest

dankworth

dankworth

The EZ roots use that liner which kind of just make it a smart pot in a basket. Not sure if that's comparable to the air pot. I'm giving air pots a try next run.

outwest
Liner is unnecessary.
They are not as strong as a 5 gal bucket, but good enough for government work.
Had been unable to find a suitable netpot-type deal, so I went with these.
img_1712-jpg.222828

img_1710-jpg.222833

C

CaliDrewski

Im also going to have to put my smart pots on top of some planter boxes im going to make. I was told to fill up another smart pot/planter box of bigger size about a 60 gal with soil to the top. Place the small smart pot on top of that and before you set it in cut around the bottom of the smart pot so the roots have a new area to grow into. This way you will not get root bound and will also get a healthier, larger plant.

Top Bottom