Drying And Curing Question

• Thread starter Snakeskins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Snakeskins

Snakeskins

I harvested a couple of my indoor plants yesterday and I'm going to use the brown paper bag method to cure the bud. What I mean is, I'll use paper bags instead of jars to cure my mystery strains.

What I did was cut up the big forearm-sized buds. I just cut into the buds cross-wise(making smaller disks)not giving any thought to leaving the whole stem intact. Now they're drying in beer boxes in my closet.
Note: I cut the bigger buds to prevent mold and to promote more even and consistent drying throughout the batch.

My question is: Would I had been better off leaving the stems inside the bigger buds intact considering that part of the plant still lives even after harvest?

20181010 192339
20181010 224905
20181010 224622
Reactions: Ina
Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Sorry moderators for reposting the same pics. They're just a visual point of reference for anyone that can answer my question.

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

I don't doubt your correct on that. I'll need to buy some close pins next time. But they do sell drying racks hence another method of drying your buds. Thats why I thought putting the buds in a box to be a viable method so long as I stir the batch every so often.

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

U dont need clothes pins to hang dry. U just leave a crotch for every branch
That wasn't an option as I wanted to leave the lower limbs under the canopy to finish the popcorn buds.

Ina

Ina

Jack ,you are right but I usually dry similar without any hanging.I just have to do it this way for security and other purposes so I can hide them fast:)The paper soaks moisture,yes,if you leave them in wet paper for too long they could get mold indeed. But the paper also prevents too much moisture if you change it,it gets the moisture from the buds,after that it gets dry really fast,it breaths(not like plastic bags).So you change it with dry paper bag/box,keep the wet buds open for aerating and change the paper bags regularly.It works for me....

WestbyGod

WestbyGod

I found a beat up wardrobe that I cut a hole in the back for exhaust. I use plastic bucket stuffed with carbon sheets, computer fan to draw air. Works good, I can hang bud on hangers to dry.

Madmax

Madmax

Ive done what your doing but had the fresh nugs on a big flyscreen off a window with an oil heater in room.nugs were really solid.id put more space between your buds so they are not touching ..

Mass Meds

Mass Meds

Hey if you can get string. And just run it from one wall to another, you have a place to hang them.

You don't need special clips. I tend to get twisty ties for attaching to the stems to hang dry. Just check on them daily, because the stems shrink as the plants continue to dry.

But that's an easy way to convert a room into a drying zone. And just monitor humidity in the room.

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

I use paper bags while I'm in trim jail. Never had an issue. I guess it depends on your area and the time of year. At this moment mold is rampant.
The weather stays very dry where I live. Do you let your trimmings dry out for a bit before putting them into the paper bags? Because I've read into two different methods of doing this. Either you let the nugs dry for a bit by hanging them before hand, or all of the drying and curing is done in a big paper bag.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The weather stays very dry where I live. Do you let your trimmings dry out for a bit before putting them into the paper bags? Because I've read into two different methods of doing this. Either you let the nugs dry for a bit by hanging them before hand, or all of the drying and curing is done in a big paper bag.

Hang your cut branches then do the fold test when they seem close to dry. Bend the branch and if it gives and folds it's not ready, if it pops and cracks it's dry enough for paper bags. I shake up my nugs in the paper bags 2-3 times a day. I hold the paper bag sideways to get the buds on the bottom to rotate to the top as I shake. Same movement as flipping eggs in a pan.

Organikz

Organikz

As much as I can. I have put wet buds in the bag to buy time. I am a 1 man trimmer so it can take a week or more to get things trimmed in my spare time. The bag usually slows things down enough to buy time

Top Bottom