Drying Help

• Thread starter Jordan Hawse
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jordan Hawse

Jordan Hawse

I've got 35 707 headband plants in week 7 of flower they probably have mad of 3 weeks left it's like my 5th grow I always seem to struggle on the drying what is the best way to dry the buds what humidity should I have in my room and I'm guessing I dry with the lights off ? I've pretty much mastered the growing side of things over the years

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Humidity should be about 50% in the room, but a range of 45-60% is still pretty safe. A major factor is keeping good air circulation around the buds. Do not overcrowd them, I like to ensure branches are never touching one another while they hang. A fan blowing around the room but not directly on the buds is also helpful. Lights off is best, but an absolute must.

I tend to trim my branches before I hang dry them, but others will insist you leave all sugar leaves on and remove only the large fan leaves. Either is fine, people are successful with both methods. Hang the branches until the stems snap rather than bend and the buds are just about crispy to the touch.

What comes after this initial drying is very important and pretty easy to screw up; that is the final cure. I like to go from drying the branches to getting the buds directly into a glass jar. After the buds have been in the jar for 24 hours they will feel rather moist again, this is the moisture from the interior coming out. At this point I begin to leave the jar open for an hour or two twice a day. This process is continued for approximately 4 weeks, at which point the buds should be dry to the touch and easy to break apart, but not falling apart.

This is just the process I have had success with. I am sure others have their own methods as well.

DismalDude

DismalDude

Great replies.I'm just a tent grower and the only thing I do different is after the hang I trim then put into grocery bags for a few days before continuing with the jar process.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Curing, after a dry trim I will turkey bag the buds with the proper sized bovita bags. I don’t zip shut the first turkey bag then place the first turkey bag full of bud into the second and zip shut. Place in an air tight container. Then I open every week and move buds around in the bag. This bud has been in the turkey bags for 8 months. The cure and density keeps improving every week. I’ll smoke some tonight and give you a turkey bag report!
B930D631 1E08 4EEA 93D9 75DA22CCE272

H

hawkman

Curing, after a dry trim I will turkey bag the buds with the proper sized bovita bags. I don’t zip shut the first turkey bag then place the first turkey bag full of bud into the second and zip shut. Place in an air tight container. Then I open every week and move buds around in the bag. This bud has been in the turkey bags for 8 months. The cure and density keeps improving every week. I’ll smoke some tonight and give you a turkey bag report!View attachment 825988
Boveda pack's tend to negativy effect taste and smell - Don't use them

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I will be in a similar boat (albeit a smaller boat), but our RH is only 10%..Indoor stuff is easy (smaller quantities), and I have plenty of humidifiers to help.

In Sept-Oct, our temps should range from the mid 70's to mid 40's at night. I want to dry in the Garage where there is no chance of bringing pests into my indoor environment. ANY ideas would be appreciate..(No I am not Moving..LMAO)

Not trying to hijack the thread, and a new thread wasn't really needed imo. Should be short and sweet.

H

hawkman

? All the smell ? I haven’t noticed it. When I opened the turkey bag I swear there was a skunk in the house. I put it away the smell lingered for 1/2 hour with the windows and doors open. I will taste test next!
glad things are out OK - have heard both pros and cons about them

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
When you did your test what size bovita packs did u use for testing?

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
BPA; read about that before u do a long term storage in them.
It’s fine for delivery and or short duration but long term the plastic taste is set into your bud. But to each their own. I don’t Store in anything other then vacuum pack that is verified BPA free.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

BPA; read about that before u do a long term storage in them.
It’s fine for delivery and or short duration but long term the plastic taste is set into your bud. But to each their own. I don’t Store in anything other then vacuum pack that is verified BPA free.
Brings up a question..Vac. Pack?
R U using something like a Foodsaver? I wanted to try that with mine, but I stopped after hearing that the vacuuming out of all the air (needed for curing) is not good..
I ask since it appears as though I will have a bunch or outdoor weed to store.

Leew421

Leew421

I usually dry whole plant. Humidity 50-65% 70-80 degrees depending on time of day. I'll be moving dry tent to a ac room soon. However I get a good 7 days out of it and always fire.

Top Bottom