Dwc Ph Adjustments And Bennies?

• Thread starter HazeDer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HazeDer

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to help me out?

I've been planning on converting from Coco to DWC with a PH controller constantly monitoring PH (I plan on adjusting PH through the controller for PH swings enabling max-diversity with nute uptake), which is great until I think about the amount of PH down/up will be getting injected in to sustain PH levels, which would surely impact bennie colonies, right? I mean you wouldn't really put PH down into a bennie tea after letting colonies establish, so shouldn't the logic transfer over?

I suppose adequate water temps and oxygenation could compensate for the depleted bennie levels considering they should be less necessary considering root development and uptake is increased in DWC and providing everything is done correctly the likelihood of root rot etc.. Is lower, making bennies still beneficial but less beneficial than other methods of growing?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Junk

Junk

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to help me out?

I've been planning on converting from Coco to DWC with a PH controller constantly monitoring PH (I plan on adjusting PH through the controller for PH swings enabling max-diversity with nute uptake), which is great until I think about the amount of PH down/up will be getting injected in to sustain PH levels, which would surely impact bennie colonies, right? I mean you wouldn't really put PH down into a bennie tea after letting colonies establish, so shouldn't the logic transfer over?

I suppose adequate water temps and oxygenation could compensate for the depleted bennie levels considering they should be less necessary considering root development and uptake is increased in DWC and providing everything is done correctly the likelihood of root rot etc.. Is lower, making bennies still beneficial but less beneficial than other methods of growing?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
I'm not saying this is the best way, but I don't mess with PH at all. Not in the way you are saying anyway.

When I mix it, in the rez, it's about 6.0. In the system, it's about 5.5-ish. If I want it to stay 5.5 or lower, I turn the valve on the rez off. When I want to up the PH again, I let the rez feed the system again. Brings it back up to 5.8-ish. I don't use the chemicals.

Root rot shouldn't be a problem if your water temp is 68-70-ish and plenty of o2. Bennies are always a good idea. But if you are developing root rot, there is a larger problem...most likely high water temps.

H

HazeDer

First off, thanks for taking the time to reply!

That does make sense and the simplicity of it means less room for error and considering I'm already factoring in negatives before I've started kind of suggests I should go with a tried and true method. I'll also be saving a considerable amount of money...

I've fully read into DWC, it was just the addition of a PH controller that was throwing me off in honesty. I knew it wasn't necessary but I wanted to give it a try, although it would seem to have far more negatives than positives.

Junk

Junk

That does make sense and the simplicity of it means less room for error and considering I'm already factoring in negatives before I've started kind of suggests I should go with a tried and true method. I'll also be saving a considerable amount of money...

I've fully read into DWC, it was just the addition of a PH controller that was throwing me off in honesty. I knew it wasn't necessary but I wanted to give it a try, although it would seem to have far more negatives than positives.

I've had plants hermie when using the PH buffers. I can't say for certain the buffers were the cause, but it's the only time I've ever had a hermie. It may have been user error, though I tested it a lot and it was always where I wanted it. But in DWC I don't notice the ph swinging a lot. Even the little dip that I get doing it the way I do currently is like a .6 swing...tops. And I use the rez method above to play with it.

For the sake of edification, people's water behaves differently. Mine just tends to be stable. But some people have water that swings wildly. If yours is stable...I might take advantage of that instead of ph adjusting. At least for your first DWC runs.

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

Are you going to run one air stone per bucket coming off the pump, which would be a standard dwc. Are you doing top feed? Is it ebb and flow, or recirculating?

Latest posts

Top Bottom