Dwc Water Smells Like Feet After 6 Days

• Thread starter LacesOutDan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

AzDidde

What can I say I kept hearing that I needed good bacteria so i thought it would help to just dip em in once a day.. lesson learned.

Ok so when you say "molasses" you mean the same molasses in my kitchen? My local hydro store has this compost tea made by humbolt county's own called Killer Tea, you know anything about it? Guy at the store said its awesome (of course) and the only medicinal grade tea on the market?? dunno can't find many reviews online. Im real small time and was trying to keep startup cost as low as possible (ill get into brewing as time goes by) and don't want to have to track down a shit ton of ingredients and also have to buy a lot more than i need for my scale. Im running 2 buckets right now but will more than likely flower only 1.

One other question and I think Ill be set for now-
So once i get a the tea dialed in, all i need to do is determine a nutrient schedule and go from there? I originally planned on using GH flora trio only.

Re nutrients:
You won't have to change your nutrients at all. Just follow the ratios recommended by the maker. however, keep them lower than they recommend. The best results I've seen from DWC has been with lower PPM. Ignore the people posting their 2000ppm pics, it stresses the plant. Many growers that have been using this system for years prefer PPM under 600. I run mine under 1000 (prefer the 700-900 range) and I run a couple more additives than them.

Also, I never drain my system anymore until the last week of flowering. In fact myself and many other growers that use compost tea in their deep water system save a lot of money in the long run because we never empty our our systems until we are doing the last week of flush. I just stay at 800-1000 ppm and top off until that the last week of flush. More importantly we get RESULTS. Great taste, yield, healthier plants..etc. You'll love compost tea too.

Seeding your compost tea:
I forgot to mention, you can actually save a lot of money by just SEEDING a compost tea bucket. Because you're just using the humus and castings to "seed" your compost tea and breed the beneficial bacteria that comes from them, if you have a dedicated compost tea bucket you just need to keep it aerated and add food (molases) every couple of days. So you really don't need to buy big bag of worm castings/ humus. You just need to seed your compost bucket once and keep that air pump running 24/7, top off with water, and feed your bacteria as if it was a fish tank. =) It's also cheap.

There is a local hydro store owner that sells her compost tea for over $12 a gallon. She just seeded her large 200 gallon brewer once, and now just adds some molasses and sea kelp twice a week and tops off with water.

Last edited:
40BRIX

40BRIX

Hey there, I didn't see where you're getting the water from? Is it RO, tap, bottled? My tap water is terrible bad with bacteria, I couldn't keep anything growing, killed the roots immediately and the plants drooped and died in a week and a half, pretty much soon after the roots extended down into the water from the net pot. Had to get a merlin RO system to clean it up, before that had to go to the water vending machines everyday, 10 gallons a day!

L

LacesOutDan

Hey there, I didn't see where you're getting the water from? Is it RO, tap, bottled? My tap water is terrible bad with bacteria, I couldn't keep anything growing, killed the roots immediately and the plants drooped and died in a week and a half, pretty much soon after the roots extended down into the water from the net pot. Had to get a merlin RO system to clean it up, before that had to go to the water vending machines everyday, 10 gallons a day!

Im using tap water, that I let sit overnight uncovered (i don't know if this even helps or not after further research) with the air stones running. I plan on calling the water dept today and asking if they can give me some details..

One other thing, about the water.
I can collect water from a natural spring on my property. The water is a really green blue in deep spots due to the limestone it runs through on the way there. Anyone got any info on similar water??
It tested 57ppm and 7.1ph

uns420

uns420

Not at all. There are various things added to tea, but in general the BASE things for a good compost tea mix is;

1.) Forest Humus
2.) Worm Castings
3.) molasses (don't go too heavy on this. Only a couple of teaspoons are needed per 5 gallon brew.)

Add an air-stone and brew 24-48 hours until there is a nice froth/foam that has formed on top of the bucket. You only need a couple of cups for every 5 gallon of tea. However, there is no such thing as too much compost tea if it's brewed properly.

Later you can add a little rock dust, Hydrolyzed fish oil, Sea Kelp and more. But those 3 ingredients are the most important. The rest is just a bonus.
This is good also i add 15ml of aqua shield and 1/4 tsp mycos per gallon and brew. i have not tried the rock dust or fish oil although its a fish liver derivative in aqua shield if im not mistaken. and have always made it personal policy to avoid kelp because it makes me sick to smell it

A

AzDidde

This is good also i add 15ml of aqua shield and 1/4 tsp mycos per gallon and brew. i have not tried the rock dust or fish oil although its a fish liver derivative in aqua shield if im not mistaken. and have always made it personal policy to avoid kelp because it makes me sick to smell it

Lol, ya the kelp stink so bad. I smell like a spoiled bag of cheesy Doritos every time I would use it as a foilage spray.

I was watching a video from the maker of Boogies Brew (Absolute best compost tea you can buy). He said the one thing you can get better results than with compost tea is Fish oil. I started using "Down to Earth Fish Powder" as a foliage spray and added to my reservoir. I noticed a slight increased in the yield but the biggest improvement I noticed was from the SMELL of the flower after drying and curing. No, it didn't smell like fish =), but the blue dream I grew had a blueberry smell that hit you in the face when you opened that jar, the first time I started using fish powder. It's also supposed to be amazing for the benies in the compost tea. Also, if you think Kelp smells bad wait until you try the fish oil as a foliage spray. TERRIBLE smell, great results. It's also cheap as an additive, because you only need a very little. A gallon goes a LONG way.

P.S. For anyone using General Hydroponics "FLorlicious Plus" It's a combination of Sea Kelp and Fish Oil. The stuff works wonderfully for both your reservoir and foliage spray and you only need 1ml per gallon, or you can be like me and make your own and fool around with your own ratios.

A

AzDidde

Hi everyone.

Some people messaged me about my compost tea formula and the science behind it so I wanted to pass down the knowledge I picked up along the way regarding compost tea and what formula I'm using and a video from a person that can better explain why.... I hope this will clear up any confusion and the millions of different formulas out there.

I've spent hours and hours and hours researching compost tea. I want to share with you a quick summary.

WHY COMPOST TEA?

Why does compost tea work so well? Yes because the beneficial bacteria and fungi, but the scientific community is really pretty clueless about the HOW. Yes, it's a frustrating answer but research into is very NEW and is being driven by the most recent demand for "Organic products" in the supermarket and ways to reduce the costs to grow them.

What we do know is that compost tea brewing is taking healthy fungi and bacteria, usually from earthworm castings and Humus, and creating a perfect environment to BREED more of these for your plants. We also know that after millions of year that these bacteria and fungi have survived by working in a symbiotic relationship with the plants they live off of. Simply, if the plant they live off of stays healthy, so doe these bacteria and fungi or they would have gone the way some human civilizations and gone extinct. In fact, the use of beneficial bacteria and fungi is also being heavily studied by pharmaceutical companies as medicine for humans.

So why use these bacteria and fungi? Because countless tests show that it works. NO till fields, for example, along with numerous research showing plants that are more drought resistant, healthier roots, producing HIGHER yield, Better taste, etc. etc. etc. The research supports the use of compost tea. Simply, it works.

However, if you have gone out and paid top dollar for that "super soil" you may not see any difference at all if compost tea is added. Why?? Because your soil may already be rich in these beneficial bacteria and fungi. The best thing to do is find out for yourself and follow what's successful for you.

COMPOST TEA FORMULA:
There are a million formulas out there, but the basic idea is to breed those beneficial bacteria and fungi. After weeks of research I finally came up with a compost tea formula and a couple of days later I found a company called boogie brew. They had nearly* the same formula and ratios I came up with, but boogie brews version was better. The major difference is that boogie brew uses a amino acid sourced from plants, while I use fish powder. They also add various forms of rock dust.

Here is a link to their website and video explaining their OPEN source compost tea. Open source= they detail all their ingredients used, which I love and respect when a company does this. Buying the stuff is probably the cheapest way to go, in my opinion. However, if it's a little pricey, stick with the basics; Sulfur free molasses+Humus+Earthworm castings. The other stuff is just a bonus.

http://www.boogiebrew.net/open-source-compost-tea/

Warm wishes and I hope this helps.

L

LacesOutDan

Hi everyone.

Some people messaged me about my compost tea formula and the science behind it so I wanted to pass down the knowledge I picked up along the way regarding compost tea and what formula I'm using and a video from a person that can better explain why.... I hope this will clear up any confusion and the millions of different formulas out there.

I've spent hours and hours and hours researching compost tea. I want to share with you a quick summary.

WHY COMPOST TEA?

Why does compost tea work so well? Yes because the beneficial bacteria and fungi, but the scientific community is really pretty clueless about the HOW. Yes, it's a frustrating answer but research into is very NEW and is being driven by the most recent demand for "Organic products" in the supermarket and ways to reduce the costs to grow them.

What we do know is that compost tea brewing is taking healthy fungi and bacteria, usually from earthworm castings and Humus, and creating a perfect environment to BREED more of these for your plants. We also know that after millions of year that these bacteria and fungi have survived by working in a symbiotic relationship with the plants they live off of. Simply, if the plant they live off of stays healthy, so doe these bacteria and fungi or they would have gone the way some human civilizations and gone extinct. In fact, the use of beneficial bacteria and fungi is also being heavily studied by pharmaceutical companies as medicine for humans.

So why use these bacteria and fungi? Because countless tests show that it works. NO till fields, for example, along with numerous research showing plants that are more drought resistant, healthier roots, producing HIGHER yield, Better taste, etc. etc. etc. The research supports the use of compost tea. Simply, it works.

However, if you have gone out and paid top dollar for that "super soil" you may not see any difference at all if compost tea is added. Why?? Because your soil may already be rich in these beneficial bacteria and fungi. The best thing to do is find out for yourself and follow what's successful for you.

COMPOST TEA FORMULA:
There are a million formulas out there, but the basic idea is to breed those beneficial bacteria and fungi. After weeks of research I finally came up with a compost tea formula and a couple of days later I found a company called boogie brew. They had nearly* the same formula and ratios I came up with, but boogie brews version was better. The major difference is that boogie brew uses a amino acid sourced from plants, while I use fish powder. They also add various forms of rock dust.

Here is a link to their website and video explaining their OPEN source compost tea. Open source= they detail all their ingredients used, which I love and respect when a company does this. Buying the stuff is probably the cheapest way to go, in my opinion. However, if it's a little pricey, stick with the basics; Sulfur free molasses+Humus+Earthworm castings. The other stuff is just a bonus.

http://www.boogiebrew.net/open-source-compost-tea/

Warm wishes and I hope this helps.

Dude you rock. Thanks a ton for all of this! You have saved me weeks of research, considering I'm completely oblivious to composting or brewing.

B

Badmf

Next time, clean with bleach... It is the best thing to clean with.
I wholehardly disagree with Bleach plastics can and will absorb some , its far better to use h2o2 Hydrogen peroxide as if there's any residue it simply converts to oxygen. It kills all living organisms.

L

LacesOutDan

A little update for you guys..

HYDROGUARD IS MY FRIEND!!!

Started using at full strength a week ago and the old brown roots are still around but not slimy or mushy, and new pearly whites are starting to take over. Topped for the second time and raised the ppm to 1000. Another 2 weeks or so then time to flower!

thanks again guys for your help.

A

AzDidde

A little update for you guys..

HYDROGUARD IS MY FRIEND!!!

Started using at full strength a week ago and the old brown roots are still around but not slimy or mushy, and new pearly whites are starting to take over. Topped for the second time and raised the ppm to 1000. Another 2 weeks or so then time to flower!

thanks again guys for your help.

Glad to hear the good news. Those beneficial bacteria are always damn awesome. Glad to hear things have turned around for you. Unfortunately the old damaged roots never really heal but you'll see new roots growing from them. If you're getting beautiful new roots, then it means your plant is in a healthy environment. Best wishes and good energy your way, and feel free to post some pics down the road.

M

MENACEx818

Re nutrients:
You won't have to change your nutrients at all. Just follow the ratios recommended by the maker. however, keep them lower than they recommend. The best results I've seen from DWC has been with lower PPM. Ignore the people posting their 2000ppm pics, it stresses the plant. Many growers that have been using this system for years prefer PPM under 600. I run mine under 1000 (prefer the 700-900 range) and I run a couple more additives than them.

Also, I never drain my system anymore until the last week of flowering. In fact myself and many other growers that use compost tea in their deep water system save a lot of money in the long run because we never empty our our systems until we are doing the last week of flush. I just stay at 800-1000 ppm and top off until that the last week of flush. More importantly we get RESULTS. Great taste, yield, healthier plants..etc. You'll love compost tea too.

Seeding your compost tea:
I forgot to mention, you can actually save a lot of money by just SEEDING a compost tea bucket. Because you're just using the humus and castings to "seed" your compost tea and breed the beneficial bacteria that comes from them, if you have a dedicated compost tea bucket you just need to keep it aerated and add food (molases) every couple of days. So you really don't need to buy big bag of worm castings/ humus. You just need to seed your compost bucket once and keep that air pump running 24/7, top off with water, and feed your bacteria as if it was a fish tank. =) It's also cheap.

There is a local hydro store owner that sells her compost tea for over $12 a gallon. She just seeded her large 200 gallon brewer once, and now just adds some molasses and sea kelp twice a week and tops off with water.
Wow! That's some crazy info that's opening my eyes. Can the jedi masters come out and chime in on this please?

FennarioMike

FennarioMike

I'm
Wow! That's some crazy info that's opening my eyes. Can the jedi masters come out and chime in on this please?
I'm running RDWC with a pretty big Under Current 6 module system by Current Culture - and I've learned some tough lessons along the way. When I was doing bubble buckets, I was new and following the Canna guide and mixing it for veg at like 1300ppm or something. It was one of the contributing factors to my root disease for sure.

After almost losing 8 large vegged plants to root disease, I went RDWC so I could better control all of the environmental factors. I vegged these plants in this system after I rehabbed the roots and the system came with a veg cycle's worth of Current Culture's Veg A + B and it was a huge difference from Canna. I have a high volume of water - really, 7, 8 gallon containers connected with 2"pipes - and a 60 gallon top off rez. It was literally probably 10 times less of the UC nutes.

But yeah, they recommend a much lower PPM that you hear all around. These guys put in the research with these systems and they are used in commercial grows all over. They get it right for sure. Here's the schedule that I follow - by week, right up until flush. I'm at week 2 of flower and it runs steady at 880.

When you start lower, you can also better read what the plant is up taking for nutes and water and adjust until you find the sweet spot where it's using nutes and water at the same time and your pH and PPM are stable. Then you're really giving the plant exactly what it's asking for.

Nutes

Top Bottom