Early Maturing

• Thread starter Wickerman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have been growing an old strain of Sativa (Matanuska Thunderfuck) that is def Sative, but it has a shoerter period than most Sativas. I don't know if the % of cloudiness applies as much to some Sativas, as mine went for between 9-11 weeks and were totally finished. The buds appeared to be ready but from experience I left them go while the fan leaves yellowed and eventually fell and the buds had a nice run of purple in some of them.
Some of the old African Sativas have long finishing periods, but they also tend to grow longer in Veg mode too before getting the typical Christmas Tree shape. The buds are not dense at all, but instead kind of lacy or fluffy. I have 1 left that is slated to come down tomorrow and started 12/12 on Oct 4. The pic is from about 2 weeks ago. The plants were about 7 ft tall despite being trained and pinched a few times. Nice colas. The tragedy is that it might have dried too quickly, destroying some of the taste.

Blood bud
W

Wickerman

I’m only growing eight plants at a time trying to get a rotating crop. I nurse these babies everyday and trim when I harvest so I know every bud. No pollination or hermie at all. I’ve noticed when I clean pots that the plants were somewhat root bound. Is it possible that could cause early maturity? Nonetheless, I’ve gone to 10 gallon pots and two of them are 25 days in flower.

W

Wickerman

E7890D8A 8A41 4F2A 823D E9F8CC79CD88
5D32F555 0BDD 48F6 B948 9C7217D4047F
18930239 C80F 4387 8F11 05250870FA4E
E7890D8A 8A41 4F2A 823D E9F8CC79CD88
5D32F555 0BDD 48F6 B948 9C7217D4047F
Well, when I checked my 24 day old flowers, I found one bud that’s already getting brown hairs. Unreal......I’ve posted an overall photo and two of bud with Microscope. What is going on....same problem...

Seraphine

Seraphine

Thanks for the pictures, it definitely helps. I can tell you that your plants have borderline nitrogen toxicity. Cut out the nitrogen ASAP. This could be what is stressing your plants, resulting in early harvest and small yields.

Those pistils don’t look too off for 4 weeks into flower for a sativa, maybe a little too soon but also not bad.

Sativas are naturally light in color compared to indica which tend to be a darker shade of green. Those plants are extremely dark green. Your leaves should be a light/medium green color.

Last edited:
W

Wickerman

I had no idea since these organic nutrients have such small amounts. I try to use the recommended dosage according to Fox Farm. I have read about many sativas that say easy on the nutrients because they don’t need them throughout growth. Is it too late to slow development of brown hairs and slow maturity? Should I rinse roots with just water or something else? Thx so much for your input.....

W

Wickerman

I forgot to ask. What did you observe that indicated nitrogen toxicity please?

Seraphine

Seraphine

Dark green leaves, shiny in appearance and the leaf tips are bent down slightly.

You don’t have lock out so you don’t need to flush.

Do you use fox farm trio, if so here is what I would do:

First I am assuming you are feeding once per week and giving plain pHed water between.

I would cut out anything with a lot of nitrogen except for the big bloom. Feed big bloom at general feeding strength. Do this for one week, maybe two weeks. Then I would add in the tiger bloom at half strength along with big bloom at general feed strength. Everything is based on how your plants respond.

I would completely eliminate grow big. Not really needed during this stage in flower.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Your plants flourished in veg because they are able to handle that amount of nitrogen but once they are 2 or 3 weeks into flower, they are done with vegatative growth and no longer need that amount of nitrogen.

W

Wickerman

You know, back in the day, the slogan was love, peace and brotherhood. Sadly, today we seem to have lost the brotherhood aspect which is sad, however, you haven’t lost that meaning and showing the willingness to help someone is greatly appreciated and is noticed....thx.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Well seems we have gotten to the root of the issue.
Yes it’s too green in flower.
I’d flush plants before flip.
Also pistils don’t mean anything.
I’ve had plants with dark pistils all the way through flower , go by calyx milky to slight amber .
And I’d also say some of it could be genetic.. but highly unprovable. I’d say more has to do with toxicity.
Do you take clone or is it always from seeds?
Add some carbs / Mollases to the regiment to help the beneficial break down the higher nutrient load faster in soil.
I always make my own soil to avoid commercially made over zealous additional crap.

Reactions: Ina
W

Wickerman

Thx for the additional input. I’ve read about using molasses but don’t know in what form or exactly what to buy. Do you mix with water?

Seraphine

Seraphine

Unsulphured molasses. Walmart for under $4. Mix 1 or 2 teaspoons per gallon of water the last few weeks before harvest. Supposed to work similar to bud candy. I tried this but honestly can’t tell if it makes a difference in the taste.

W

Wickerman

I started with seeds originally and now use clones. I finally found Blackstrap unsulphured molasses so will be using soon. I hope that will help this problem and I’m definitely cutting the nitrogen. I agree that the Fox Farm soil is loaded with nutrients . Thx again for everyone’s input....very much appreciated

W

Wickerman

I certainly will. By chance can this slow the development of maturity on current flowers?

Seraphine

Seraphine

I think since it was caught early in flower you will have much better yields than in your past grows. You can’t reverse the damage already done but you’ll see much better results.

Reactions: Ina
W

Wickerman

I certainly hope so....I have two other plants just in flower so hopefully non effected. Thx again....

Seraphine

Seraphine

I started with seeds originally and now use clones. I finally found Blackstrap unsulphured molasses so will be using soon. I hope that will help this problem and I’m definitely cutting the nitrogen. I agree that the Fox Farm soil is loaded with nutrients . Thx again for everyone’s input....very much appreciated
Some people on here will use fox farm ocean Forrest soil the whole grow (Repotting again using a new bag of FFOF just before flower) and not use any other nutrients, that’s how loaded some of Fox farm’s soils.

Seraphine

Seraphine

I certainly hope so....I have two other plants just in flower so hopefully non effected. Thx again....
You’re welcome! I think you’ll see things turn around quickly as long as you lay off the nitrogen :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom