Earthworm castings tea?

• Thread starter jediSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jediSD

anyone use this on there outdoor crops? anyone know a good recipe for veg?

justsomeguy

justsomeguy

just mixed one up an hour ago.
this is for a five gallon bucket with an air stone

4 gallons RO or dechlorinated water
3 cups worm castings
3 cups humus (gh ancient forest)
3 cups quality amendment (vermiblend)
60 ml molasses (earth juice hi brix)
15 ml humic acid (whatever brand at full strength)

bubble for 24 hours and then strain. mix one cup per gallon of water or nutrient solution and use immediately. all you really need in this recipe is either the castings, humus, or amendment along with the molasses, dechlorinated water, and air stone. basically the castings provide the bacteria, the molasses feeds the bacteria and the air stone ensures beneficial aerobic bacteria. any chlorine in the water will kill off bacteria. i add humus and amendment for the diversity of microbes and fungi they add. without them just use double the castings. adding fish hydrolosate is supposed to feed and promote more fungi. be careful not to buy fish emulsion by mistake like i did last week.

the same recipe works through veg and bloom because there really isn't much NPK in it. most of the nutrients in the castings aren't water soluble so they stay in the sludge that you strain. so the tea isn't a plant food so much as a super soil inoculate. it just seems like a food because the plants suddenly start utilizing all of the activated nutrients in the soil.

justsomeguy

justsomeguy

just checked on my brew and realized i forgot to add seaweed. it's not critical but it's great for feeding bacteria and has a lot of water soluble micro-nutrients. i add 8 mls algen extract to the bucket but just use whatever seaweed you have access to at full strength.

T

TruthBeSaid

Look up Activated compost teas. The recipe will change depending your plants needs an weather or not you use soil admendments or bottled nutrients as your nutrition source. Theres a book called "Teaming with microbes" about soil microbiology it'll help give you a better outlook on true organic growing an the soil food web. Grow organic.

Top Bottom