Edges Of Leaves Curling A Bit

• Thread starter winks00
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

winks00

I will try to be brief, but want to give information so I can get the correct help...I have 2 GG#4 plants at 22 days since the seeds popped... The seeds were germinated in paper towel and placed in rockwool once the tap root emerged... I kept them in a humidity dome in the dark until the sprouts appeared, then turned a LED light on but left in the humidity dome... Once the 3rd set of leaves appeared, I put the rockwool with seedlings into their final homes and started nurrients... They are both in 3.5 gallon DWC pots. I top watered some until the roots t u he' the water and since then have not needed to water...I am using GH Flora trio with a few drops of root boost...I started the nutrients at 100, and increased to 250 the 2nd water change ( it is creeping up to 285 so I will lower to 200 for the 3rd water change tomorrow). I added the recommed dose of Hydroguard yesterday... I have kept the ph at 5.8 to 6.0... The tent temperature has been as high as 82, but not for long.. I am trying to keep it 75, but it is a 2x4 tent and temp rises... The water temp is the same... I an trying to keep it at 75, but it has gotten up around 80 a couple of times... I am keeping the humidity up to 40 to 60% with the help of a very small humidifier. Since the roots hit the water, growth has been a.azing, but about 48 hours ago, I noticed a couple of leaves with a very slight curling on the edge... Then today it is a bit worse... I went through all the checks... water temp, humidity, air temp, ppm, and ph... Overall everything was fine besides a slightly elevated air temp (81 degrees f). Now I am hoping this is fixable and won't her progressively worse!! I have read so ma y possible issues, I don' want to pick wrong and add to the problem... Below are a few pics of the 2 plants... You can see the curling of the very edges... Please help!!!
Edges of leaves curling a bit
Edges of leaves curling a bit 2

Edges of leaves curling a bit 3

Edges of leaves curling a bit 4

Harp

Harp

What led light brand are you using?
Wattage?
Distance from the plant?

W

winks00

I will try to be brief, but want to give information so I can get the correct help...I have 2 GG#4 plants at 22 days since the seeds popped... The seeds were germinated in paper towel and placed in rockwool once the tap root emerged... I kept them in a humidity dome in the dark until the sprouts appeared, then turned a LED light on but left in the humidity dome... Once the 3rd set of leaves appeared, I put the rockwool with seedlings into their final homes and started nurrients... They are both in 3.5 gallon DWC pots. I top watered some until the roots t u he' the water and since then have not needed to water...I am using GH Flora trio with a few drops of root boost...I started the nutrients at 100, and increased to 250 the 2nd water change ( it is creeping up to 285 so I will lower to 200 for the 3rd water change tomorrow). I added the recommed dose of Hydroguard yesterday... I have kept the ph at 5.8 to 6.0... The tent temperature has been as high as 82, but not for long.. I am trying to keep it 75, but it is a 2x4 tent and temp rises... The water temp is the same... I an trying to keep it at 75, but it has gotten up around 80 a couple of times... I am keeping the humidity up to 40 to 60% with the help of a very small humidifier. Since the roots hit the water, growth has been a.azing, but about 48 hours ago, I noticed a couple of leaves with a very slight curling on the edge... Then today it is a bit worse... I went through all the checks... water temp, humidity, air temp, ppm, and ph... Overall everything was fine besides a slightly elevated air temp (81 degrees f). Now I am hoping this is fixable and won't her progressively worse!! I have read so ma y possible issues, I don' want to pick wrong and add to the problem... Below are a few pics of the 2 plants... You can see the curling of the very edges... Please help!!!
View attachment 785444 View attachment 785445
View attachment 785446
View attachment 785447
I do believe I over watered the rockwool initially because I am
What led light brand are you using?
Wattage?
Distance from the plant?

I figured there would be some information I for you to include... It is a viparspectra 600 watt LED () The Light is 38 inches from the top of the plant... I have the lights on a 20/4 schedule... I have 2 small fans circulating air and a 3" exhaust fan hooked up to a carbon filter... Below is a pic from a few days ago...
20180312 181837

Harp

Harp

All looks well with your setup and regiment.
Honestly I wouldn't be too worried about a little curl. Plant looks healthy overall.
If it continues to curl, only thing I may be able to suggest is to change the ph levels just a little higher. You may have a finicky one.
Also try raising your light just a little higher.
Just my 2 cents

Much respect

W

winks00

I did a water change today and the PPMs ended up higher than I expected, but I did everything perfect... I am using GH Flora trio and went with the following amounts per gallon of distilled water...
Micro - 2.5ml or 5.0ml total
Grow - 2.5ml or 5.0ml total
Bloom - 0.75ml or 1.25ml total
Cal-magic - 5ml or 10ml total
Hydroguard - 1.5ml or 3.0ml total
(To achieve the correct water level, it takes 2 Gallons of water...)
The pH was good without any adjustment... The ppm was approximately 700... I have read that this is fine for week 2 or 3 of veg... But a couple people said I should be at 250 to 300???

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

I did a water change today and the PPMs ended up higher than I expected, but I did everything perfect... I am using GH Flora trio and went with the following amounts per gallon of distilled water...
The pH was good without any adjustment... The ppm was approximately 700... I have read that this is fine for week 2 or 3 of veg... But a couple people said I should be at 250 to 300???
Are you using a heating pad and why?

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

7.5ml-grow, 3.5ml micro, 2.5ml bloom, 2.5ml of rhizotonic, 2.5ml silica- this is total for five gallons, approx 350 to 400 ppms. This is what I like to keep veg at on the GH line, this is at a 80ppm two water prior to adding

0D0EC5AE FA78 4802 A644 8306DD4630B3
MidwestToker

MidwestToker

It's really dependent on your grow environment. For me I rarely run my nutrient strength over 500 ppm (1.0 ec) in full flower, veg feeds 350-400 ppm .
DSCN0811

Here is some Glue's at day 6 since flip.

W

winks00

Are you using a heating pad and why?
Yes... Initially, I was having issues keeping up the water temperature... I added a pad to warm the water... I attached it to a guage and probe in the water that shuts the pad off when it is the right temperature... It rarely comes on anymore... Is it an issue?? I have been trying to keep the water at about 70 degrees...

W

winks00

sounds like I am feeding way too high based on the comments here... I believe I will cut back during the next water change... and in the mean time watch the ppm as the water evaporates... to make sure it doesn't get crazy high!

W

winks00

It's really dependent on your grow environment. For me I rarely run my nutrient strength over 500 ppm (1.0 ec) in full flower, veg feeds 350-400 ppm .
View attachment 785755
Here is some Glue's at day 6 since flip.
How are they so huge?? I am at about 23 days since the seed germinated and my plants are still only 4 to 6 inches tall... It looks like I would need to veg for 3 months to get that tall... Is there a trick?? I think I am maxing out my tent size...

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

How are they so huge?? I am at about 23 days since the seed germinated and my plants are still only 4 to 6 inches tall... It looks like I would need to veg for 3 months to get that tall... Is there a trick?? I think I am maxing out my tent size...
Those are from cuttings, not seed. They will grow pretty fast once the roots get established.

G

gnsplants

Lights. Created an account to answer this question. I had the exact same issue running a single Viparspectra 900w reflector series. Growing Gorilla auto's I searched the net to find an answer with little success and found through experimenting with light height that was the issue. Plants were very healthy, no sign of overwatering, temp and humidity were well within range no other sign of distress except the slight upcurling of the edges of leaves without any discolouration exactly as shown in OP's photo's. As the situation continued I was able to keep a close eye on the situation and noticed the slightly taller of the plants had the more pronounced upcurling while the shortest one had virtually none so put two and two together, adjusted the lights upwards and hey presto. As the plants mature they are more resilient to light intensity but not so resilient in the earlier stages of growth so just back off the light a couple of inches, see how it goes, if necessary back them off another couple see how it goes, rinse and repeat. I eventually raised the light some 6 inches or so over 2-3 days and the new leaves had no upcurling at all. Especially for growers like myself more used to growing under HPS lights, the intensity of LED's take a little getting used to. Old thread but posted this up as it's an issue that has a vast range of different answers posted across the net and this hands on experience of mine may help others. Happy growing.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Lights. Created an account to answer this question. I had the exact same issue running a single Viparspectra 900w reflector series. Growing Gorilla auto's I searched the net to find an answer with little success and found through experimenting with light height that was the issue. Plants were very healthy, no sign of overwatering, temp and humidity were well within range no other sign of distress except the slight upcurling of the edges of leaves without any discolouration exactly as shown in OP's photo's. As the situation continued I was able to keep a close eye on the situation and noticed the slightly taller of the plants had the more pronounced upcurling while the shortest one had virtually none so put two and two together, adjusted the lights upwards and hey presto. As the plants mature they are more resilient to light intensity but not so resilient in the earlier stages of growth so just back off the light a couple of inches, see how it goes, if necessary back them off another couple see how it goes, rinse and repeat. I eventually raised the light some 6 inches or so over 2-3 days and the new leaves had no upcurling at all. Especially for growers like myself more used to growing under HPS lights, the intensity of LED's take a little getting used to. Old thread but posted this up as it's an issue that has a vast range of different answers posted across the net and this hands on experience of mine may help others. Happy growing.

I will agree with part of what you are saying but I fixed mine by changing my nutrient profile for the original GG#4. So to me it's more of nutrient profile change adapting to the use of LEDs. My LED panels are only 270 actual wall watts of white LEDs.

Top Bottom