Electrical question, am I in for a shock ?

• Thread starter KGBudman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KGBudman

I"m just now dealing with this. I recently purchased a Titan Helios Light controller. I didn't open the acess panel , Ilooked in the instructions and it said to connect all 3 wires to the three screws and it came with 3 wire crimp connectors. So I figured ok, I need a 3 wire dryer cord and a 3 wire outlet along with some 6-2 w/ground. I get back from the store and start to put things together. When I opened the outlet cover I noticed there are 2 hots and a Neutral. WTF, I have 6-2 w/ground not 6-3. I open the acess panel on the Helios and see yep, 3 screws AND a grounding lug. FUCK, I just bought the wrong shit. A little further investigation(f that "warranty void if seal broken" sticker, I open the Helios box up)reveals the neutral is NOT connected to anything. Why would I need to use 6-3 w/ground if the neutral is not used? That means the current DOES flow back through ground. Correct? I decided to just connect the bare ground to the ground lug in the Helios and to the neutral location on the outlet. No difference than using a 4 wire where the neutral is not actually connected to anything right? Can someone help me out here? I'm not an electrician but have wired LOTS of shit w/no problems and do have some understanding.​

hiboy

hiboy

If ur conbtroler is not needed for any 120v equipment and ur equipment running is 240v then ur ok with the six two .
Most likely that controller is standard design and can be altered to run multiple operations
hb

K

KGBudman

Thank you much. You are correct about the standardized box/instructions. That controller is available with a built in timer as well. In that case you WOULD need a neutral because the timer is 120v. Kinda funny how the instructions are standardized like that for something as important as elec. No need to pay for 40ft of #6 COPPER conductor that's not connected to anything. ;)

hiboy

hiboy

Thank you much. You are correct about the standardized box/instructions. That controller is available with a built in timer as well. In that case you WOULD need a neutral because the timer is 120v. Kinda funny how the instructions are standardized like that for something as important as elec. No need to pay for 40ft of #6 COPPER conductor that's not connected to anything. ;)
No doubt copper wire is crazy prices right now.
hb

Top Bottom