Eriophyid mites-the hemp russet mite

• Thread starter altimood
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nightmarecreature

Ya exactly.... There are MUCH cheaper alternatives to spinosad

lol What Captain Jack's and Monterey? lol Those things don't work, I've used them lots of times. Conserve SC works as well as AVID. Keep spending money on stuff that don't work and tell me it's cheaper.Trust me and try it. Then we will talk.

There is nothing it won't kill, besides it's the concentration that really matters.

Those who use it know how well it works. I'm saving all these people time and trouble. I have a bug free garden year round for once and all thanks to the Conserve. I was a skeptic until my buddy gave me a sample, now I know. My buddy has schooled many growers. I can get at least 5 people to vouch for the stuff, that have tried everything else and have been growing for awhile.

I use it every 20 days. It can be mixed with your nutes. No bugs for the last year!

Last edited:
TSTEW313

TSTEW313

Conserve SC is the absolute best stuff I have used an will always keep it on hand! It Helped Save @Canappa Whole Grow When He Was IN Flower Check OUT His grow An THEN Tell Me It Don't Work Captain Jack's Is A Joke An Don't Hardly Work It Is Only .05 Percent Spinosad Where Conserve SC Is 11.6% Part A, an B there is a reason why it is expensive the shit works!

Canappa

Canappa

I just harvested my crop, and I did find spider mites at two wks in flower, @TSTEW313 hooked me up with some Conserve SC! Listen I must say I have never seen anything kill like this shit did the job in three days its not cheap but loosing a crop is not cheap either. Do yourself the favor and buy a bottle and quit the BS with this and that. I have said it a few times you get what you pay for!

I want just one person to tell me it didnt work for them when they used Conserve SC. Everybody has a opinion about how to kill these little fucks but trust me save you self the trouble and buy it problem solved. Check out my fpog grow its proof that it work!

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

lol What Captain Jack's and Monterey? lol Those things don't work, I've used them lots of times. Conserve SC works as well as AVID. Keep spending money on stuff that don't work and tell me it's cheaper.Trust me and try it. Then we will talk.

There is nothing it won't kill, besides it's the concentration that really matters.

Those who use it know how well it works. I'm saving all these people time and trouble. I have a bug free garden year round for once and all thanks to the Conserve. I was a skeptic until my buddy gave me a sample, now I know. My buddy has schooled many growers. I can get at least 5 people to vouch for the stuff, that have tried everything else and have been growing for awhile.

I use it every 20 days. It can be mixed with your nutes. No bugs for the last year!
Whatever works for you bro, Azamax works just fine for me.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Just hope your not using it while in Flower, Let us know how that works for you;)
What's wrong with it in flower? It's Organic, derived from Neem, also organic. The only side effects in flower is at the recommended App rate it will burn your pistils. But no I am not currently in flower, however, when I am I will still use it....

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

Yeah Greenleaf I never had much luck with the Azamax or neem once I have had a infestation it has always worked for a prevention tho but once I found out about conserve SC from my wife's uncle who is a commercial farmer's for fruits and vegetables told me to quit playing around with these pest an spend the money my problems were solved I have never looked back! But different strokes for different folks tho good luck with these evil bugs!

N

nightmarecreature

I have used Azamax before, not just once but for months and months. It never got rid of the Thrips or any other nasty bug.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

Sweet! Ill Give it a look.

I dont have alot of experience with bugs thankfully So @nightmarecreature I have no experience. These are just a pretreat, to make sure my garden stays clean but I may as well use the best stuff out the for sure. Does it kill eggs too?

N

nightmarecreature

All I know is that any bug that goes into my garden looks like a dried out cracker. Thrips are a real problem where I live. Now they are mummies! RIP Bugz!

Bjamiam

Bjamiam

Unfortunately I some times find myself breeding more bugs than cultivating cannabis. I call it the challenge of "large scale" or "commercial" growing. But when I get a handle on things it makes me feel good. My first real challenge in this field was root aphids, and with the help and ingenuity of a fellow grower in Colorado, I was able to overcome them with Met 52 and this product is now being discovered, sought out, and used by many farmers here in this community. To all of you I say please share your experience with this product and I hope its as good as mine. Now I battle russet mites on a large scale. Met 52 led me to another "fungal" type product called hirsutella thompsonii Fisher. This has been used against eriophyid mites in coconut industry countries and I stumbled across this article and thought I'd share it...

Sci Tech

Strategies to manage eriophyid mite

By Our Agriculture Correspondent

The coconuts affected by eriophyid mite show warts and longitudinal fissures on the skin.— Pic: S.Thanthoni
ERIOPHYID MITE (Aceria guerreronis) a serious pest of coconut, has ravaged the crop in the last few years. Scientists have come out with eco-friendly strategies to effectively manage this scourge.

The project directorate of biological control of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) at Bangalore has identified an effective fungus to counter the mite menace. The directorate, with funding from the Coconut Development Board, has isolated the mite-infecting fungus, Hirsutella thompsonii and found that it could be used as bio-control agent to combat the mites. Scientists at the Kerala Agricultural University have hit upon a neem seed oil-garlic-soap emulsion to keep the mites at bay. About 200 ml of neem seed oil and a 500 ml water extract containing 200 g of garlic paste are mixed well and diluted with water to make up a 10-litre spray fluid. To this ordinary soap flakes (50 g) dissolved in 300 ml of lukewarm water should be added.

This botanical insecticide forms the neem seed oil-garlic-soap emulsion 2 per cent. About 1.5 litres of this emulsion should be sprayed on the coconut bunches of each palm.

The spray should focus on the middle portion of the bunches where the mites tend to concentrate. The spraying should be taken up only in the afternoons so that the pollinating bees are not affected. Care should also be taken to avoid spraying the unfertilized inflorescence.

A number of commercial neem formulations have been prescribed to control the eriophyid mites. However, many of them cannot be fed through the roots or injected into the trunks. Moreover, only those formulations with an azadirachtin content of 300 to 1500 ppm can at best act as an insect repellent or an anti-feedant when sprayed.

In this context, a neem formulation `Econeem Plus' from a Bangalore-based firm comes in handy for growers managing the mites. It is also, an eco-friendly insecticide containing 10,000 ppm azadirachtin, and it is effective in controlling the mites and preventing the insect-resistance and accumulation of residues in the nuts, according to the company.

This product has been tried, evaluated and recommended by scientists of University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS), Bangalore, for control of eriophyid mites on coconut. It has multiple modes of action. When root-fed or stem injected it gets translocated and acts as a stomach poison on sucking pests like mites. It also acts as an insect growth regulator (IGR) affecting the moulting process in mites, which prevents them entering the next phase of its life cycle, according to the scientists.

The botanical insecticide has been effectively used as stem injection at 10 ml per tree. However, for best results it should be root- fed at 10 ml mixed with equal quantity of water per tree.

It should be used twice before the onset of monsoon (April-May) at an interval of 25 days, and twice after the monsoon (in October-November) at the same interval, according to the scientists.

-So a lot of you already know about azadirachtin. In the U.S. it comes in the form of Azatrol:

Biological Insecticide, Repellent, Antifeedant and Insect Growth Regulator

Botanical Product for Control of Insects on Indoor and Outdoor Vegetables, Ornamental Flowers, Trees, Shrubs, and Plants.

Azatrol is a broad spectrum botanical product for control of insects and mites on indoor and outdoor ornamental plants, shrubs, flowers, garden vegetables, fruit and nut trees. Azatrol offers an array of effects by acting as a repellent, anti-feedant, insect growth regulator and ovipositioning deterrent. As a molting inhibitor, it prevents insect larvae from developing into adults. Insects will feed less or not at all on treated foliage, ultimately starving to death, they will also fail to mature and reproduce. This complexity also makes it impossible for an insect's resistance to develop - Low odor and OMRI listed.

Azatrol is OMRI listed and poses no harm to the environment or us. It contains the main ingredient Azadirachtin A and B. It also contains over 300 different Liminoids which also have insecticidal properties. It all comes from the Neem kernel. They use a cold water extraction process to isolate the Azadirachtin. The left over Neem fats and oils are sold off to other companies to make other products. Azatrol contains no neem oil, fats, or bitters. It won't affect taste, color, or aroma and can be used to the day of harvest. Unlike neem oil it completely dissolves in water.

Once they have extracted the Azadirachtin it is collected in a powder form that is imported to the US and turned into a concentrated liquid. It has a two year shelf life in the concentrated form. It is almost impossible for an insect to form a resistance to the product. It is not an instant knock down killer. The bugs have to eat it for it to work. It will not harm beneficial insects since they don't eat plant tissue. It can be used as a foliar spray as well as in the res. Plants will take it up into their tissue and it will last there for a few weeks in most cases. The slower a plant grows the longer it stays in the tissue.

Usage recommendations

Use it on plants used for cuttings consistently (water it in and spray at least once every two weeks. If pest pressure is high use it more often)

The rate for the res is 1 ounce per 10 Gallons of water. Fill the res and add nutrients. Take a clean bucket and mix all the Azatrol you need for the res to a gallon or two of water. Mix well and add that solution to the res. pH and you are good to grow. Note Azatrol may add 100 to 200 ppm to the total. Only add it to a res when you change out the tank. Never top off with it. For soil or run to waste water with Azatrol once per week. Begin treating plants as soon as they are well rooted. It can be used up until flush.

As a foliar at 7 to 10 ml per QT for light pest pressure. Spray every 7-14 days pH at 6.0 with a wetting agent.

For heavy pest pressure 15 ml per QT and spray every 3 to 4 days pH at 6.0 with a wetting agent. You can mix it stronger with caution. Test a plant before you treat the whole crop on higher usage rates. Spray everything you mix within 24 hours. It is organic and will begin to become less potent once mixed (if you try to store it mixed).

Not recommend spraying with anything past the 4th week of a 12/12 cycle due to the possibility of mold. Other than that it would be fine.

How it works

Azatrol keeps an insect from generating a growth hormone in its brain. This affects its ability to grow, to molt, or to create cocoon, even if an insect reaches that point in its life. It is an anti-feedant. You can tell this is happening if you look at a spider mite abdomen. It will begin to turn dark brown or black if you look at it under a 30X microscope. Any easy way to view mites is with scotch tape. Catch them on scotch tape and they can't run away. It will be easy to tell when the Azatrol starts to work. Shortly after you'll notice that the bugs aren't moving around anymore. You may still see them on plants, but they will be paralyzed. Then they simply fall off the plants.

Azatrol disrupts insects ability to lay eggs.

It works on everything from fungus gnats, whiteflies, caterpillars, spider mites, aphids, thrips, and the list goes on and on.

It takes 3 to 4 weeks to rid you garden of pests. After that a normal maintenance regimen will be all that is required.

-So anyway, russet mites are my new root aphid. I would like like to beat them and do it in a safe way. I know Azatrol is well known and widely used. We'll see how OMRI listed Azatrol does against these little bastards in my garden. If anyone has any input on hemp russet mites and Azatrol, I'd love to know if it worked for you. I assume its ok to water it in to flowering plants based on this product description, but its always helpful learning from other's experiences. Cheers.
Great info!
was the hirsutella thompsonii Fisher effective? do you know where I can buy it?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thats what I thought you meant I am just confused how that applies to mites? Do they Have a membrane that cannot be breached by water so they trick it with Iso and make it more abbrasive? with the salts and stuff?
They have a waxy coating that many things cannot penetrate well, so yes, that's why things like iso or castile (vegetable fat-based) soaps. :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
G

It's a highly concentrated form of Spinosad. I've tried everything, just try it, don't cheap out. There is nothing that works as good. 1ml a gallon every 20 days is CHEAP because you will need NOTHING else!

Now tell me about your experience with Conserve SC?
That's what I was wondering. Is it a difference such as one sees between Safers Caterpillar spray, which has 11% Bt(k) vs DiPel at something like 44% Bt(k)? In fact, DiPel comes with some strict warnings regarding the worker safety, etc.

Bjamiam

Bjamiam

question for you guys. So I'm seeing lots different opinions and a healthy level of fear about these little devils. Is it true that they live on and will continue to feed on your flowers AFTER you harvest?? Can you harvest a healthy flower only to have it destroyed or damaged while hanging?

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

question for you guys. So I'm seeing lots different opinions and a healthy level of fear about these little devils. Is it true that they live on and will continue to feed on your flowers AFTER you harvest?? Can you harvest a healthy flower only to have it destroyed or damaged while hanging?
I've never seen these critters but if were talking about the same critters there's no harvest cuz the bugs kill the plant or flowers beginning week four

Latest posts

Top Bottom