Eriophyid mites-the hemp russet mite

• Thread starter altimood
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
question for you guys. So I'm seeing lots different opinions and a healthy level of fear about these little devils. Is it true that they live on and will continue to feed on your flowers AFTER you harvest?? Can you harvest a healthy flower only to have it destroyed or damaged while hanging?
I've never seen these critters but if were talking about the same critters there's no harvest cuz the bugs kill the plant or flowers beginning week four
Where did you hear that?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

One of the grow shop guys ....I guess it's just true when theres infestation, it seems plants can survive a small populations but there may be different critters there so many different bugs and they mutate also and react different in different environments for instance they may not thrive in my environment but I kick you down with a clone and for whatever reason they dominate and flourish in yours....

Last edited:
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
So far, from what im seeing and hearing, the population can be controlled

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

If you took the infested mother took a clone and dipped it fully in conserve sc won't that kill everything and then you don't have to ravage your clone onlys? And rebuild your stock. It's be a long break but some stuff cannot be popped again by seed og

N

nightmarecreature

If you took the infested mother took a clone and dipped it fully in conserve sc won't that kill everything and then you don't have to ravage your clone onlys? And rebuild your stock. It's be a long break but some stuff cannot be popped again by seed og

Yes, the Conserve kills everything. Foliar spray or dip the leaves. Then add 1-2ml per gallon added to your feeding aka root drench.

I root drench because sometimes bugs like to hide down there. The bugs die just from touching the stuff.

G

Grapo

I've had them, nasty little critters. Spinosad was somewhat effective, as I seen posted above. But what rid me of them was kontos used systemically.

N

nightmarecreature

I've had them, nasty little critters. Spinosad was somewhat effective, as I seen posted above. But what rid me of them was kontos used systemically.

Spinosad didnt work for me either. Conserve SC spinosad works for me.

Dont confuse the two. Its driving me nuts, people posting using the bullsbit Spinosad that is 0.5%, it does not work.

Kontos, Avid,floramite work but they are nasty!

Offdarips

Offdarips

Did your broad mites return or did you knock them out for good. We have them now and are thinking about throwing out all our trees and starting fresh. From what I've read these mites are hard to get rid of unless you start fresh. Here are some pictures of our trees will the Conserve SC save us, there in week 4 of veg

Coir

Coir

Did your broad mites return or did you knock them out for good. We have them now and are thinking about throwing out all our trees and starting fresh. From what I've read these mites are hard to get rid of unless you start fresh. Here are some pictures of our trees will the Conserve SC save us, there in week 4 of veg View attachment 468425

Wow, that sucks. Looks like you got them bad too! The plants effected the worst will probably not be worth saving. I have completely eradicated them using heat and then predatory mites but I had a lot less plants to deal with than you have. Whatever you choose to do, I would make sure that I had a strict IPM regimen in place before starting up again. No matter how well you clean and fog and sanitize, they can be almost impossible to get rid of completely. Taking the stance that you are sure they will return makes it a lot easier to deal with. Schedule regular 6 week intervals of slow release A. Andersoni when you replant and use them through a couple of cycles and you shouldn't have issues. Also, it's key to finding the source of the infestation and avoiding a repeat at all cost.
I just helped a grower in Seattle get things turned around after his employee carried them in on his clothes. His employee had decided to start his own operation and got clones from a dispensary that were infected. It didn't take long until they made it into both grows even though they are miles apart.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Offdarips

Offdarips

Well we just chopped down the whole room and going to bleach & fog , 3 co2 tanks, avid, forbid everything. Also going to heat to 120f the room for a couple of hours. I think if we do all this they should be gone. The way we received them was two clones we purchased from Medicine Man in Denver. We will be restarting by poping seeds. No more clones from outside sources. It's getting bad out there.

Coir

Coir

That sucks but sometimes it's the best thing and ends up saving you so much time and money it's worth it in the end. I would seriously consider adding A. Andersoni right at the start as a preventative measure and keep them in there through the entire run. Cheap insurance and they will get anything the cleaning and fogging misses.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well we just chopped down the whole room and going to bleach & fog , 3 co2 tanks, avid, forbid everything. Also going to heat to 120f the room for a couple of hours. I think if we do all this they should be gone. The way we received them was two clones we purchased from Medicine Man in Denver. We will be restarting by poping seeds. No more clones from outside sources. It's getting bad out there. View attachment 468937
I thought I was the only one who has a thing for those concrete mixing tubs. :)

I know it had to be tough, but starting clean should work.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

Well we just chopped down the whole room and going to bleach & fog , 3 co2 tanks, avid, forbid everything. Also going to heat to 120f the room for a couple of hours. I think if we do all this they should be gone. The way we received them was two clones we purchased from Medicine Man in Denver. We will be restarting by poping seeds. No more clones from outside sources. It's getting bad out there. View attachment 468937
Cold. Make it below 55 if you can kills everything then the temp wing up could help. Sucks to hear about yyr clones dude. Much love

Offdarips

Offdarips

I have read several post about heat, nothing about cold. Have you experienced the cold treatment on broad mites. I will try it as well, I think I can get it down to 55 we have 10 tons of air.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

Are you certain about that? I've read plenty about heat, but not about cold (think: overwintering).
Now i won't go quoting this I'll find it first and I'm also notorious for reading shit and not finding it again..... but I read a post about hemp russets do not mutiply or hatch below 60 degree weather. So you cold set them into sleep and then once it hits the 75-90 area they all hatch because they need to and then the room heats up to 120 or so and kills all the living mites no eggs left because they needed to hatch and the mites are gone.

hunterfisher

hunterfisher

@altimood

Any chance you have any more research time or advice to offer on this topic?

Myself as well as another member on here have been fighting russets for the last week

I may have won with met52 ec, but am not done learning if you have some knowledge to drop
I see this is a old tread but figured this would help someone fighting these things
I have had luck using diatomaceous earth .
fill a baby powder container and coat the whole plant . pot and all
only in veg . wait 3 days then mix sm-90 with neem and dishsoap
most importantly , use really hot water mix in the pump sprayer
rinses of the d/m and treat those cut up suckers all in one
predatory bugs wont eat them before you loose everything
and azamax ,avid , neem alone , bombs etc. don't do anything to them at all
this method scratches them up , gums them up , sm-90 has sulfur , the hot water finishes them . they are heat sensitive . this is the only thing that worked for me after several crops were destroyed .

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

I see this is a old tread but figured this would help someone fighting these things
I have had luck using diatomaceous earth .
fill a baby powder container and coat the whole plant . pot and all
only in veg . wait 3 days then mix sm-90 with neem and dishsoap
most importantly , use really hot water mix in the pump sprayer
rinses of the d/m and treat those cut up suckers all in one
predatory bugs wont eat them before you loose everything
and azamax ,avid , neem alone , bombs etc. don't do anything to them at all
this method scratches them up , gums them up , sm-90 has sulfur , the hot water finishes them . they are heat sensitive . this is the only thing that worked for me after several crops were destroyed .
How much soap and stuff per gallon did you use? How unhappy were the plants afterwards?

hunterfisher

hunterfisher

I use a 2 gallon bucket to mix so I could fill the sprayer 2 times
but this is what I used on 2 gallons
4 tablespoons dish soap
1/2 cup neem
1/2 cup sm-90
hot hot water
sprayed 1 time with 1 gallon hot
2nd gallon cooled down in about 45 min then sprayed a 2nd time
just finished a repeat today just for gp
the girls didn't mind a bit
in fact looked better and perky once dry
I also crushed a few aspirin in the 30 gallon water tank (prevents them from taking on damage)
and sm-90 has some things in it they like anyway

Top Bottom