Excellent mite control! SNS-217

• Thread starter PureSugar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PureSugar

I haven't seen this product mentioned here and thought I would let you all know that I tried SNS-217 Spider Mite Control http://sierranaturalscience.com/ and it works amazingly. It's a Rosemary Oil based product and is exempt from EPA registration as it's considered a minimum risk pesticide. I sprayed my mothers down with it and the next day dead mites everywhere and the plants haven't shown any signs of pesticide damage I've had with other products. It also KILLS the EGGS!

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
Have you just started using it? Expensive, but if it get's rid of the little f@#kers it's well worth it.

P

PureSugar

Have you just started using it? Expensive, but if it get's rid of the little f@#kers it's well worth it.

Yep Monday was the first time I used it. I thought it was a bit pricey too, but after seeing the results I don't mind how much profit they're making, the results more than pay for it.

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
Been using it for a month it works great got rid of mites used it 2 or three times and the plants look great....

N

nog

there is another product called Ecotroll, they are both expensive, if you check the ingredients you will see they are just rosemary oil and emulisifiers, in water. the emulsifiers disperse the oil in the water (dilute it) so it goes farther and is less likely to hurt your plants, and also the emulsifiers act as wetting agents helping to spread the oil,
i found an article on this:
Efficacy and persistence of rosemary oil as an acaricide against two spotted spider mite.
by S Miresmailli - 2006 - Cited by 3 - Related articles
Efficacy of rosemary, Rosmarinus officinalis L., essential oil was assessed against twospotted spider mite, Tetranychus urticae Koch (Acari: Tetranychidae), ...

i use neem emulsified with Tween, which is a similar emulsifier to those they are using, ( you could use soap) i think i am going to try rosemary oil, it will cost a fraction of what they charge for these proprietory products, most of which are simple formulas hyped up as some kind of complicated science. let you know how it goes, which might be some time as i just nuked my rooms with no-pest strips.

N

nog

here is some other stuff:

"Both GC-Mite (cottonseed, clove, and garlic oil) and Bugzyme (citric acid) were most effective against the twospotted spider mite (≥90% 0ortality). However, SMC (canola, coriander oil, and triethanolamine), neem (clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil), and Bug Assassin (eugenol, sodium lauryl sulfate, peppermint, and citronella oil) provided >80% mortality."

triethanolamine and sodium lauryl sulphate are emulsifiers; if you look on a shampoo bottle ingredients they often crop up, not sure about eugenol sounds like a trade name for some chemical. a guy at another forum reckoned he would have to spend $1200 to treat his crop with sns or another other proprietory product.

sedate

sedate

It also KILLS the EGGS!

Really?

I was under the impression chemicals strong enough to kill eggs would invariably kill the substrate (the plant) . . .

EDIT:

Okay I read the product page - apparently this spray "chokes" the eggs and prevents them from hatching.

Throw up a post in a few days and let us know if you're still spider mite free.

I've thought I'd killed off the buggers many times myself . . .

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
Yep Monday was the first time I used it. I thought it was a bit pricey too, but after seeing the results I don't mind how much profit they're making, the results more than pay for it.

This sounds promising. The cost is high, but if it does the job it's worth every penny. I am really interested in the end result. Killing the adults is not hard. The Egg's are the problem. I can never seem to totally get rid of the eggs no matter what I try. Keep us posted on the results down the line. Thank's

P

PureSugar

Really?

I was under the impression chemicals strong enough to kill eggs would invariably kill the substrate (the plant) . . .

EDIT:

Okay I read the product page - apparently this spray "chokes" the eggs and prevents them from hatching.

Throw up a post in a few days and let us know if you're still spider mite free.

I've thought I'd killed off the buggers many times myself . . .

Yes I should have reworded that. Your description of what it does to the eggs is more accurate.

Also I expect to reapply. I am so far impressed with the results compared with much harsher products.

..and yes it would be great if someone can figure out a DIY formula. Shouldn't be that difficult water, rosemary extract, and a wetting agent...also the spray bottle it comes in sprays a very fine mist which I helps get good coverage on the plants, I don't see anything pricey on that shopping list.

urbanite420

urbanite420

..and yes it would be great if someone can figure out a DIY formula. [/QUOTE said:
All you need is some good quality homegrown rosemary, a separatory funnel, some chloroform and an emulsifier. boil the rosemary in water for 15 minutes. let it cool to room temp and then transfer the liquid fraction to the separatory funnel. add chloroform, shake it gently, burp it, shake some more, burp again. separate the organic chloroform layer from the water (ie drain the chloroform layer and either rotary vaporize the chloroform off or GENTLY heat (this shit can blow, but not in the way u think, if you don't respect it) under profusely exhausted ventilation (Chloroform causes liver damage) until you are left with the rosemary oil. emulsify with polysorbate-20 or emulsifying wax or lecithin(imo), 1-10% by oil volume, depending on the viscosity of the oil. Add water. Spray those effin bugs.

Take an organic chemistry course and they'll teach you how to make everything from barbituates to freebase, if you can make the connections.

jessejames12345

jessejames12345

urbanite420 - Absolutley kick ass relpy :) , I love Chemistry

jessejames12345

jessejames12345

I just applied sns last night , and have had similar results today. Every mite i see is a fried fu*kr . It feels nice to win a battle, but im sure the war is far from over.

I expect to have to reapply in a week or so ...only because im sure i missed a few areas. Its hard to spray @ 5 weeks flower :icon_dizzy: BUT i haven't seen any pistol damage this morning, and I doused them pretty good.

On another note, avoid the 4oz 'tester' bottle as a solution for anything more than 1 small plant, this stuff goes fast.

peace
jj

820..am

what about taking a break , putting your mother outside for nature to take care of the situation,then useing serious cleaning agents to clear your room out. i mean serious industrial agents, let the room breath for a few weeks. then treat your mother with some rosemary and garlic spray and incubate her inside beforecutting and starting again.
i had many problems with mites before this and now am a very happy eco sterile farmer.
keeping clean is the first clue i think!!!

N

NorthernApollo

Hey just wanted to share with farmers what worked for me. I caught the mites early... only saw a few single webs between fan leaves, one of the plusses of going downstairs and just staring at the ladies, ha! :pimp:

After reading this thread I put together a game plan:

1 gallon mix:
20ml azamax (for its systemic properties and is essentially concentrated neem)
30ml mildew cure (clove, garlic, etc. to prevent mildew/etc. in high humidity conditions after spraying during dark hours.
10ml rosemary extract from WholeFoods. Apparently SNS217 (which rocks!) is essentially rosemary with some systemic additives. And seeing as how its ridiculously expensive, its worth making at home in my opinion. After application it looks similar to neem, leaving a shiny polish on the leaves.
6ml dish soap as an emulsifier for the oils like rose mary.

So we have a non-systemic leaf coating to choke out eggs, a systemic additive to deter adults from feeding and some other herbs to F&$% with the mites life even more as well as deter any fungus that may enjoy the high humidity that the mites hate.

1 gallon made 4 heavy applications. Applied right after lights off. No signs of mites after 1 application, and did 3 more weekly just to be safe. Spent a bunch of time with a 20x hand scope lookin' for those little bastards! I found throwing trash bags over my canopy helped limit over spray when spraying upwards and kept the lights clean.

Caught early, this seems like a very effective, pretty darn close to organic solution for mites. However, I've just been using it myself so it may not work for different species of mites in other locations or more advanced infestations.

Peace!

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I've used rosemary extracts without success in the past, but this sns 217 seems to do the trick. i wonder what they use thats different?

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Shit works great. I keep a bottle on hand incase mites decide to show up in bloom! Combined with CO2 bombs, you can kill those fuckers pretty damn well!

F

frostedlove

I dont have mites and want to make sure it stays that way so got some rosemary and cinnamon extract to see if its a good mix prevenative thing
been doing the neem oil thing all the time

see how it goes.

Top Bottom