F1,s1,bx, Ibl, Polyhybrids & Landrace Simplified

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
As our community grows across the nation there seems to be a lot of misinformation and confusion among some folks as to what these breeder terms mean and what the process is to get there. I will paste a teaser snippet and then the link to follow should anyone be interested in reading the rest of the material.

I myself am not a breeder, just a cactus jumpin pollen chucker and would welcome any experienced breeders to chime in to correct any incorrect statements or material in the article.

I hope this helps some of you newer guys in understanding what these basic breeding terms mean. Enjoy!!!

What is an IBL, S1, BX, F2, landrace, marijuana plant?
hindu-kush-sensi-seeds_6466_1_.jpg

Hindu Kush by Sensi Seeds

Often, when it’s time to buy cannabis seeds, the beginner grower can be confused by some acronyms that are written next to the name of the variety. Just with some basic concepts you will be able to get the correct choice between seeds with the same name, but different acronym.

There is a big difference between acquiring a second filial generation (F2) or an IBL, even if we talk about seeds of the same variety. These differences will condition the growth pattern of the plants, and also the final product, so that it is almost essential to learn exactly what is the meaning of these acronyms to be more accurate in choosing which seeds to buy, saving ourselves deceptions and getting closer to our preferences.

Heres the link https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/basic-nomenclature-cannabis-genetics/

chillywilly

chillywilly

Greetings,
I've had about 4 breeds that were selfing males, I call em sm1...not hermie fems ...they are C99, Hawaiian indica, TGA Dannyby, and sweet sk x fuckin incredible... haven't done any breeding wit them yet, but when time and space will allow me... thanks I've grown 3 of so far and see that the strains take the characteristics of that male plant and not the female.imho...for instance the C99 was a pure male, pollen collected...I kept that plant because it was so pretty, well I cut it down to two bottom leaves and decided to put back in flower room...well, that plant produced these stringy sprigs with pistils then pollen sacks...the smell was at first pineapple, then grapefruit... I collected the seeds that looked somewhat deformed but the few that I planted looked like the father, thin leaves like toothpicks made plant look almost tansparent, you barely see it...the flowers were completely different than the original C99s , the flowers looked like old skool sativa with the strong grapefruit taste and smell...if I can inbreed make a solid stable strain... we're still learning...
peace...
cw

Dunge

Dunge

Thanks for the link, but I think it falls short on the objective of clarifying and or simplifying the terminology.
And then, it's confusing:

"When we cross two F1 individuals (whether landraces, hybrid or polyhybrid varieties), we obtain the second filial generation or F2, and so on with next generations."

The above statement does not make it clear that the "two F1 individuals", must be a male and female of the same f1 line. So the backcross yields an f2 generation, which will be all over the place when it comes to phenotype expression.
Subsequent selection from the f2 variety will start to narrow down desired qualities.

This is the logic I am following in an autoflower line I am playing with.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/2017-interior-alaska-outdoor-automango-f2-grow.88379/
My results are tracking expectations, but this proves nothing. I welcome corrections to this thinking.

What I think I have learned is that breeding is hard, and takes great care and planning.
Seed production is easy, thus the abundance of f1 crosses available.
Cross two favorite "keepers" and bang, you have a slug or pretty reliably good seeds, that can be reproduced for as long as you have the keepers.
Stay away from f2 seeds, as they are an intermediate step to a stable line.
Or so I imagine.

Dunge

Dunge

I’m not sure I agree with that , depending on what you are looking for , the f2 offers a wide variety phenos to look through. I like f2 because the options are plenty
I can see that, but I believe f2 selection should be the work of the breeder.
f3 lines will still have more subtle variation for your selection pleasure, but will not give you wild variations that can pester a garden cycle.

To each his own.

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks for the link, but I think it falls short on the objective of clarifying and or simplifying the terminology.

"When we cross two F1 individuals (whether landraces, hybrid or polyhybrid varieties), we obtain the second filial generation or F2, and so on with next generations."

The above statement does not make it clear that the "two F1 individuals", must be a male and female of the same f1 line. So the backcross yields an f2 generation, which will be all over the place when it comes to phenotype expression.
Subsequent selection from the f2 variety will start to narrow down desired qualities.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/2017-interior-alaska-outdoor-automango-f2-grow.88379/
My results are tracking expectations, but this proves nothing. I welcome corrections to this thinking.

What I think I have learned is that breeding is hard, and takes great care and planning.
Cross two favorite "keepers" and bang, you have a slug or pretty reliably good seeds, that can be reproduced for as long as you have the keepers.
Or so I imagine.
I love f2s you cam have very stable lines with only a few phenos in f2s if you select right my norcalmoon f2s are a perfect example ill probly bx it one time to the norcal cat piss just for added probability or a cat pheno but after growing 100 of them and seeing many more grow there really is only 2 phenos

chillywilly

chillywilly

Greetings,
I was gearing towards a stable breed , but now dealing with an anomaly...I am currently working on a Hawaiian breed right now, the 3 seeds that 2 are growing came from the last
generation that this is now f2 in its own generation... similar structure, yet different in taste, color, and effect , and texture...the original hawiian was short and purple, took forever to grow...but the end result was way off the chain, super strong pineapple smell and taste, glazed like it was dipped, the tallest was 11", the others were 9", 10"...
tear the house down... now the male grew quite different with fast growth and very copious amounts of pollen... when I finished the project I started another and from that came this generation, the first as I described were deformed...the next #2 now during pollination the next seeds looked more normal, fat and robust, now growing to see any similar or different characteristics, now looking very similar...
Peace...
cw

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter

Or so I imagine.
Dunge good eye and catch on that. Good lookn out man. Thank you

Top Bottom