Faster finishing techniques - manipulation of light cycle

• Thread starter oververt2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

oververt2

It seems that a few people are trying out faster finishing techniques that give equal or greater yeilds, less power needed and 30-40% faster finish.(up to 3 weeks faster)
The Cycles
Vegetative Cycle - Lights ON 14 hours, Lights OFF 4 hours
Flowering Cycle - Lights ON 6 hours, Lights OFF 12 hours
now if you have a digi timer one or two days need longer than 12hrs dark to make up for 162.333hrs in a week.

Anyone been doing this here? if so can you start on this while they are already in flower or does it need to start from veg..
heres more info-

The Benefits
The growth acheived during an 18 hour cycle can be the equivalent to that acheived during a 24 hour cycle. So by running 18 hour cycles the same growth and yield can be acheived in 75% of the time.

Reduced day lengths also mean reduced power consumption. Grow more and use less power. Who can argue with that?

For example, an average crop grown from seed using a 24 hour day/night cycle will have a 4 weeks grow cycle and an 8 weeks flower cycle. This equates to 28 days @ 18 hours a day and 56 days @ 12 hours a day = 1176 hours of light over 12 weeks.

An accellerated crop using an 18 hour day/night cycle will achieve the same yields using a 3 week grow cycle and a 6 week flower cycle. This equates to 21 days @ 14 hours a day and 42 days @ 6 hours a day = 546 hours of light over 9 weeks resulting in a 40% reduction in power consumption and a 25% reduction in crop time.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

That is 100% assumptions....

Which mean nothing IMVHO

You're talking doin 18 hrs of light but your ish says 14.
None of that sounds healthy to my plant...

Is that extra 30$ a month to keep it real breakin the bank?? Hmmm

O

oververt2

not 18 hours of light at a time, 18 hr cycle, 18hr = 1 day instead of 24hr = 1 day...i dont want to give links to other websites but they are doing a few tests on other sites finishing plants within 5 weeks.
So that 12 hours dark 6 hours light.
Instead of that i will go 12.40 hours dark 6 hours light as there's 168 hours a week and it adds up easier at the changeover at the end of the week.
if you have 8-9 settings on a timer, divide 168 by 9, = 18.66666666666, then minus 6 off of that gives you 12.66666666 which means 12hours 40 minutes.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

That reminds me if this kid years ago that suggested putting a timer into another tuner both at random hours.

The reason that is retarded is some days you'll be watering at 4 am and some days at 8pm. I have a fucking life, can't sit on top of the grow all day every day. Rather pay the measly bill and not give myself the headache.

Not trying to diss you that just sounds retarded. You have any good proof that this is as effective as you say you are?? Shit gotten fully into the math, the due diligence will go way further than a crack-pot idea, fwiw

O

oververt2

exactly, its very annoying not knowing what times to water or what times its ok to open your tent/room...'
however there is proof on the net, im in a non-legal country so look up-
"faster flowering lighting technique"
cannabis.com may have a few threads finsishing 8-9 week strains in 5-6 weeks but there are more...i have to go through five proxies and three bridges just to access this site so im not going to keep replying or give websites....we have internet surveillance here

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

You'll train your eye for hermies if your lucky you'll cull them in time ....interrupted veg cycle and diminishing light schedule for flower...is successful for less energy but I won't vouch for equal or greater yields too many other factors involved.

hotRod

hotRod

I can get a 9 or 10 week strain to finish 5-7 days early or a 12 week 10 days early.
At flip;
I go 12/12 for 4 weeks
10/14 for 2 weeks
8/16 for 2-4 weeks

Seems to work great with strains that take forever to ripen
Also helps the power bill
Does not increase yield only finish time IMO

squiggly

squiggly

An interesting tactic.

End of the day, you have an absolute limitation on growth speed according to the speed of the, many, various metabolic functions in the plant. What is the turnover rate of the proteins, the specificity, and other intervening factors?

Answer that for 10 gajillion proteins and then you can do some calculus to minimize time and maximize yield.

Beyond that it's going to be a guessing game as to what the actual limits are until you start killing and herming out plants on purpose, a lot. You need to find the lower limits, and there has to be some real quantification of growth (on the cellular level, not just quantity but type--and certainly more anally than you're probably willing to do it even on the macroscopic scale).

It might work it might not--my guess is that 9/10 times you'll probably sacrifice something here, be it yield or quality. That isn't to discount this method, it could very well be that doing it the way everyone does right now constitutes the sacrifice. Can't really say without data.

It's definitely something worth checking in to, but I would caution people who are doing the "checking in" from jumping to conclusions without some type of expertise to back it up--the differences in a botanical experiment of this type are quite difficult to properly quantify. Botany is an EXTREMELY difficult scientific discipline to do novel work in, data collection is sooo important--and there is a lot of it to do and even more rules about how exactly to do it.

below frigid

below frigid

I can get a 9 or 10 week strain to finish 5-7 days early or a 12 week 10 days early.
At flip;
I go 12/12 for 4 weeks
10/14 for 2 weeks
8/16 for 2-4 weeks

Seems to work great with strains that take forever to ripen
Also helps the power bill
Does not increase yield only finish time IMO

I was wondering with shortening the light cycle beyond 12 hours diminish yield? I would think so, but I know nothing! LOL. Another thing is that if your using fem beans indoors is your asking for herm problems by over manipulating the photo period. I think with some of the less stable strains that even going straight from 24 or 18 down to 12 in one shot may trigger herm traights. I would knock the lights down a little at a time when using fems. I just think there has to be something to it because all the issues I have heard with fem beans come from indoor grows. Never had a fem herm on me outdoors and I have grown over 100 maybe 200 from many different breeders even highly stressed. Just my opinion, like I said I know nothing, LOL. I don't see a problem with hot rods light regime since it's done in a gradual manner besides maybe reduced yields. I could be totally wrong so don't ream me.LOL

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Look at some proof of something similar....The Gas lantern technique ....and Diminishing flower light schedule it's no secret that it works the question is does it work better for you in your environment with your genetics! Look up circadian rhythm
very interesting how plants behave differently without the moon

O

oververt2

http://boards.cannabis.com/advanced-techniques/157537-light-cycle-cuts-down-flowering-time.html

This is INSANE! Not only did I already write this post and apparently pushed cancel - But the new light schedule is AMAZING with the plants. I wish I had taken before/after shots but it slipped my mind, I figured it would take a long time to see results... It doesn't.

I went with 6 on, 12 off - Then on two consecutive days its 6 on 18 off. I'm using a brinks timer that allows 6 different settings/days so 5 are set for 6/12 and two are combined at 6/18.

Now.. I said that I was vegging the pineapple for at least another week because my flowering cabinet is full and a good portion of them had decent buds, but purely clear trichomes... They'd been that way for about a week, so I figured I had a good week or two left.

After 2 days, the hairs are 40% red, trichomes are 70% cloudy and 20% amber.... I'm VERY impressed. The only other change so far has been the addition of pop/rock music during lights on.

Benefits: Faster budding period - Less power consumption, and for some reason, happy as hell plants. I've got a powerbud in there that has a top cola that is absolutely HUGE, and it's gotten bigger in the past two days. This bud is the size of a solocup in width and a can of monster in height - My previous buds were the size of pill bottles, so this is a BIG increase. The new lighting is only partially to blame, but it is finishing much faster!

My advice to you, stop what your doing, and change your light schedule. If you want to wait until my pineapple express finishes, that's fine - But I'm thinking my pineapple will be done in 5-6 weeks vs 7 that it took to finish last time

Oh, the negatives: The timer is a pain in the ass to setup. Also, since the lights change times each day, its hard to get a set 'inspection' schedule - I haven't actually had a peek at the girls during lights on yet, won't be until tonight.

2-
The Cycles
Vegetative Cycle - Lights ON 14 hours, Lights OFF 4 hours
Flowering Cycle - Lights ON 6 hours, Lights OFF 12 hours

The Benefits
The growth acheived during an 18 hour cycle can be the equivalent to that acheived during a 24 hour cycle. So by running 18 hour cycles the same growth and yield can be acheived in 75% of the time.
other shit

O

oververt2

it seems i cant get access to that page anymore, if you can check it out...the thread has many links to these experiments since the eighties. apparently plants only collect lumens for the first 6 hours in a 12 hour on light schedule after that its a waste.
However since that thread is recent, and maybe even taken down, well for me i cant access it.. it have less trichomes, more hermies, who knows...however im giving it a shot ....one day when i move to a country that doesnt put you in jail for ten years for 2grams of weed

the rrock

the rrock

good luck dude ,Ive been doing it my way for over 30 years with great success and fabulous results a good percent of the time,maybe your 12/6 cycle works wonders ,gimme a shout when youve been growing 30 years and we will chat

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

Cutting corners you'll always be subpar.

Quality takes time and dedication. Lots.

O

oververt2

Classic remix, you certainly have a lot of ego and pride for a guy growing in a legal country.
For us growning acres in a country you get shot doing it in, you sound like a tryhard soft core pussy. no offense you just sound like a pussy. come to indonesia and see how things roll

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

Tell me what country they'll shoot you in. Seems like horrible business practice when they can throw you in a system and get thousands from you. I see why you are in the state you're in if you live with mongoloids like that.

No ego, just QUALITY. If something were that easy it'd just be the way. Cutting corners will never get anything you like. here's how I look at it.

You're wasting the time on rent. Whether it actually be rent or a mortgage. Now that time is way more important than any time you have lights on. Your using the space use it to its true potential! Givin it light here and light there, even if it did grow healthy you said yourself like 40% less light. I'd dare to say 40% less yield just faster finish, an that's where you need to flip your head. If your committing to growing somewhere, especially illegal, why the hell would you cut corners to skimp yourself?? Take the time and dedication needed an blow that shit up right, get the yield you want and the money you want. Saying that extra electricity isn't worth the squeeze of fruit is retarded.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Im soooooooo happy with no longer vegging in a 24 hr or 18 hour veg schedule for my style of growing,(I veg with total 13 hours) and i use less then 12 hours on for flower also (as low as 10 and 9 on) and looooove it but by no means will i say the method i grow is the best or better than anyones but ill argue til the sun comes up that it is the best method for me and im getting closer to 1 gram per/ kilowatt hour.......eventually traditionalist will learn that more is not always better.....just my two sense.

Yo Classic whats up Brotha? Hope all is well with you and yours including your garden, peace.

and P.S.
if your going to cut corners do it right, Just playin but for real i still cant make sense of this non traditional style im stuck on gas lantern veg. aka interrupted light veg. and the diminishing light flower schedule...

squarepusher

squarepusher

if it really did work, more people would be doing it I would think. Unless its so new that no one knows about it, then we would need some brave testers to prove to the world its better

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

the method i describe is an old method for preparing for a short grow season as far as using it indoors for complete grow and then the diminishing light flower part i honestly dont know how new it is in its application this whole twelve twelve flower and 24 hour light veg sched. just seemed to be the best at the time for the people who were in the "KNOW" at the time...in there local climate with the genetics available to them at the time...... this whole thing reminds me of major league baseball and pitchers if your not in to baseball you wont get the metaphor but basically the mechanics in the traditional pitching techinique rip up arms especially growing teenage arms so instead of accepting a new unorthodox techinique with new mechanics the major league black balls this dude about to revolutionize the game plus save teenage pitching arms and so many more......just because its different and would put a bunch of old traditional pitching coachs out of a job......youll remember this if you watch baseball and notice a huge revolution in pitching if these traditionalists accept their mechanics are obsolete..... its tough but change is innevitable so dont be surprised if a bunch of shit changes and why fight it especially if it might help you achieve your goals

Top Bottom