Favorite soil why ?

• Thread starter Mauihaole
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mauihaole

Ive got to ask becuase there has been soo much controvercy over this one well as far as the FFOF and the Roots Oganic on the farm site and I hear alot of locals using a pro mix of sort. What is your experiance with these soils? Does anyone know the piticular promix used in the 808? Or if anyone has used a sucessful mix of any of these three in conjunction together like the FFOF and Roots Organic or what ever? Thanks guys

F

FatMarty

Well the Pro-Mix I use is Premier Pro-Mix BX.
That's the basic mix with about a week of feeding included in the micorisms included.

I got a sack of the Pro-Mix HP, which is their High Poristy mix, and it was just too leaky to hold more about a half gallon of water/nutes in a 5 gallon bucket before running all over the floor.

The other one is the basic mix with extra organic nutes added and I think it's a lazy mans version of a custom mix.

Here's my take on soil vrs. soilless - soilless mixes like Pro-Mix don't usually contain insect larva like fungus gnats - soil mixes almost always do. It's really hard to fight bugs if you keep bringing them home after cleaning everything up...

Hope this helps man.

F

FatBoy808

Premium Member
Supporter
Wassup Brah, I've tried all 3. Here's my take on it.

1. I started growing using PMix, a good medium with the proper amendments. Make sure you get some dolomite though, maybe even some ag-lime, but be careful with it, that stuff is strong and can burn the plant. PMix will become more acidic over longer periods of time. If you use it just to start plants, or during a short veg it should be ok, but if you intend to run it the entire long-season, then use dolomite.
Also, PMix can dry out pretty quickly, and ounce it's totally dry it becomes like a big pete pot (jiffy pots). PMix would be my last choice, but I'm not saying it's crap, just my least favorite.

2. FFOF is a good soil in my opinion, I used to cut it with PMix @ 2:1 (OF/PM) And still had good results. The only problem I encountered with FFOF is it's a little too hot for young plants, unless they're hardened off. Clones can handles it a little better, but still. So if you cut it with PMix, which is way cheaper that FFOF, it could make a little bit of amended soil go a long way.

3. Roots Organics I really like, it's a little cheaper than FFOF, I think the micro life also likes it better too. Also it's not too strong on the amendments, my Afghan is in straight RO with an occasional feeding of EJ, and with no major deficiencies at least until about 45 days then I would top dress a little with some guano, bone & blood meal, glacial rock dust, kelp meal, and a little dolomite.

I've never had a tainted batch of soil yet, but I've heard of stories similar to Martys in regard to fungus gnats, but on the other hand.... Contrary to what Marty said, I've had fungus gnats invade my PMix-only-grows.

I hear Black Gold is actually a pretty decent soil, and so is Sunshine mix. Ohana Greenhouse actually started stocking Dr Earth products, I don't think they have the full line, but you should inquire about DrE soil. I've heard that it's recipe is designed to cater to cannabis, that's why it's called Pot-ting soil, I believe it also says it's for medical gardens. Of course I'm reading between the lines, but it's pretty obvious.

That's just my $.02
Aloha, Fats

I

ibTheMan

Sunshine#4, IMO way better the Pro-crap i mean Pro-Mix, its for surely alot more stable toward the end of flowern where pro-mix PH is Not sable late in flowern.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Does any one know if Happy Frog soil(by FF) is maybe a little Less hot than O.F.?

K

kolah

I don't know Ken.

I used Happy Frog for my seedlings an clones and grew in 5 gallon buckets with very good success.

I am thinking of trying RO next year.

PrairieBoy

PrairieBoy

Sunshine#4, IMO way better the Pro-crap i mean Pro-Mix, its for surely alot more stable toward the end of flowern where pro-mix PH is Not sable late in flowern.

Ditto...PM bx for striking seeds only here...then SM4(amended) for veg/flower.

Landfishd

Landfishd

Anyone use the Keep it Simple Soil? I haven't but it seems like a good company and product.

F

FatMarty

Well I read a little more on the Pro-Crap, lol just kidding, and the Pro-Mix BX with the extra Fungicide is for root rot, etc. prevention.

Man I fought those damn fungus gnats for months; I tried every potting soil and wash I could think of or find. In the end my friend suggested Pro-Mix for the umpteenth time, and I finally listened to him.

I have my problems, that's for sure; but bugs aren't one of them since I switched to Pro-Mix. I kinda think it might be a bit too expensive in Hawaii because of the shipping - how much does a bale of BX run in Hawaii? It's about $40 here give or take $10 depending upon shop.

F

FatBoy808

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah, the soil pH of PMix can really fuck shit up, but if I add some dolomite, or sometimes in extreme cases I add Ag-lime. Also it depends how long you your total grow time is, mines are fairly short these days.

Does any one know if Happy Frog soil(by FF) is maybe a little Less hot than O.F.?
My understanding that it is a little more mild than FFOF.
The way I understand it is that FFHF is suppose to add better structure to a poorly structured soil, but I've heard some great results from people who use it straight.

Ditto...PM bx for striking seeds only here...then SM4(amended) for veg/flower.
That's pretty much what I do, except it goes in RO.
Actually, I have a bail but hadn't had to use it since I still have a lot of RO.

I have my problems, that's for sure; but bugs aren't one of them since I switched to Pro-Mix. I kinda think it might be a bit too expensive in Hawaii because of the shipping - how much does a bale of BX run in Hawaii? It's about $40 here give or take $10 depending upon shop.
A bail of PMix is between $34-$38, usually, at least in my area.

Peace Out, Aloha
Fats

SCARHOLE

SCARHOLE

I amend Miracal grow with lime, perilite, Humic acids an cow manure
BeCause it's cheep an effective an the only soil available.
But I love it..

M

Mauihaole

Im def decided to go with Roots Orangic but not sure if I will use regular potting soil 707 mix or the green mix. I am outddors in Maui any experience with these my friends? It will prob be what ever is availble out here lol. Also decided I want to give their nute line a run. Anyone use any of their packs? Theyve got 3, 1 synthetic 1 organic and 1 combo pack with is suposed to be quite proper also are very cheap on their website. Does anyone know the S&H to HI or would they carrie them at ohana ? Mahalo

M

Mauihaole

Yes it is Foxfarm. As far as I know is has been pulled off the shelves in Hi . Some state law about the benes they use in it. Every local hardwheare and nursery that Ive called has said that to me but this is on Maui other islands might have it but doubtful. Also makes me have to order most my benes
and the HF it was about 4-7 bucks cheaper a bag than OF but came in 2.0 cubic ft to the OC 1.5 cubic ft so yes cheaper much cuase the bags are bigger and cost less

Jolly Mon

Jolly Mon

Whats up folks I'm personally making a switch to pmix this next run, following my friends experience,which turned out great. After seeing all the soil companies store their soil out in the open on the beach its no wonder it is infested. I feel they are just pumping out as much as they can to turn a buck and I personally watch quality of all the soil produced out of the 707 has turned to crap. 10yrs without problems now everybody that uses local soil have turned into ra & gnat farmers. I'll post my results soon. Peace

F

FatBoy808

Premium Member
Supporter
Im def decided to go with Roots Orangic but not sure if I will use regular potting soil 707 mix or the green mix. I am outddors in Maui any experience with these my friends? It will prob be what ever is availble out here lol. Also decided I want to give their nute line a run. Anyone use any of their packs? Theyve got 3, 1 synthetic 1 organic and 1 combo pack with is suposed to be quite proper also are very cheap on their website. Does anyone know the S&H to HI or would they carrie them at ohana ? Mahalo

Wassup MH, I love RO potting soil, that Afghan I posted in the other HI thread is in straight RO/PS, and I seldom have to feed in veg, but during bloom you're gonna want some extra cal, mag, and some extra N-P-K, more emphasis on the P-K. But during veg it's great all by itself.

Whats up folks I'm personally making a switch to pmix this next run, following my friends experience,which turned out great. After seeing all the soil companies store their soil out in the open on the beach its no wonder it is infested. I feel they are just pumping out as much as they can to turn a buck and I personally watch quality of all the soil produced out of the 707 has turned to crap. 10yrs without problems now everybody that uses local soil have turned into ra & gnat farmers. I'll post my results soon. Peace
Are you indoor or outdoor???
Because after long periods of time the PMix can get hard as a mofo. You might want to get some green sand, or some extra perlite. I actually prefer the Sunshine #4 over PMix. I've had more gnat problems with PMix than anything else, just in my experience.
Peace out, Fats

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

I use Roots organic potting soil,the camo bag! works great like FB808 said! I like to add some Ancient Forrest Alaskan humus soil cut in and Use Dr. Earths Bud and Bloom booster and different Guano's during flowering. I use Gardner and Bloom Blue ribbon blend potting soil for outdoors tho,since it's a bit cheaper and works just as well for me,and RO for everything indoors!

M

Mauihaole

yep picked up the Ro 1.5 bags today it looks and smeel great oh ya someone asked Im outdoor

philly kush

philly kush

I,ve bin using FFOF with roots organics for afew years now.I grow in 2 1/2 gal buckets with a 50/50 mix and the girls love it.My last visit 2 the local grow joint didnt have FFOF so i picked up sunshine mix super hydro and the girls dig this mix also and my pots r not as heavy 2 move around.I take cuttings from mother plants n soil i use 4 this some ppl might laugh at but it works 4 me its organic choice from miracle grow at home depot,works every time i like it better than rapid rooter plugs.but thats just me.Happy growing n good luck with the soil mix!

Top Bottom