Favorite soil why ?

• Thread starter Mauihaole
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bubbie

Best bet, test them out yourself and see which one works with best with the types you are looking to grow. I personally prefer Roots with a little additional additives to help but everyone's different...

M

MysteryChic

Can any locals tell me about other bugs they can not get rid of from soil? Maui is so wet that it would b hard to avoid the bugs. Is out/inside better to start with?

F

FatBoy808

Premium Member
Supporter
Can any locals tell me about other bugs they can not get rid of from soil? Maui is so wet that it would b hard to avoid the bugs.

Aloha MysteryChic

I think fungus gnats are one of the biggest pests, followed by root aphids. There are ways to get rid of them, but it requires dedication and vigilance
:mad0229:
:hunter:
In extreme cases you could try doktor doom-the green can (the red can is the strongest).

Gnatrol works pretty good, as well as Azamax, but I believe it wasn't strong enough for my infestation.

Neem seed meal helps a lot, I've never tried neem oil, but I here it's a pretty good product.
Is out/inside better to start with?
When you say start you mean germination/cloning right??? Or do you mean for a first grow???

I think it's best to start seedlings indoors, especially since it's still short season in HI.
If you were to start some outdoor seeds right now they'd probably start budding in a couple weeks and reach no more than 2' in height, and would probably lack structure.
I would recommend starting the seedlings indoors, and veg for about 3-4 weeks, or at least until they show sex on their own, without having to shorten the light cycle or induce flowering. If you induce flowering, and switch'em back to veg you could shock them. It really depends on the plant, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, you don't want to end up with hermies.

Right know would be a great time to put clones out before the days start getting too long. You could make some clones veg'em for about a 1-2 weeks, and in about 2 months you'll be harvesting some nice colas. Some people will go straight from clone (0-veg) and flower them and end up with a nice Donk!@# D$%^:thinking

I hope this helps you.
Peace, and Aloha!
Fats

reeldrag

reeldrag

I have used them ALL MANY MANY times back and forth I have to say in my humble opinion the roots organic is the best avail to us in the islands straight out of the bag. I know many people who have gotten fungus gnats with ffof, the green lite from roots is very good so far but only using it as a test so no real proof yet

chadkush

chadkush

I thought pro mix was good stuff to hmm dont sunshine mix 4#4 have nutrients in the mix allready?

F

FatBoy808

Premium Member
Supporter
I thought pro mix was good stuff to hmm dont sunshine mix 4#4 have nutrients in the mix allready?
Wassup dude, ProMix is a good product, I just feel the sunshine is a more consistent, better lasting product, IMHO... The ProMix tends to get a little acidic after a long time, and if you reuse your soil then its important. Although if you use a fresh bag of potting soil for every grow then it isn't such a big deal, but that will amount to a lot of wasted soil. But keep in mind you can restore some of the balance to the soil, so to speak, by adding products like dolomite, or AG lime, or ground oyster shell etc.

In regards to Sunshine #4 there is no nutes, but Sunshine Advanced is the same except it has Micro Beneficials (Mycorrhizae??? I think). Which is perfect for me because I enjoy organic gardening.
Peace out folks, Aloha.
Fats

W

wvkushqueen

I decided to switch from promix to sunshine #4. Since I have had the worst trouble w/ the ph crashing about 3 weeks b4 harvest They would look gorgeous & all of a sudden they would look burnt. There were times it seemed it would happen over night. In my 12 years of growing I have never had ph issues. I'm going back to promix but I would like 2 know why I had these problems only change i made was the dirt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom