Feminizing Seed

• Thread starter 420budz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
No, I'm not talking about tarnish by itself but that i was exposed to silver in various ways/forms and never developed a negative reaction, nor did anyone I knew in the industry. Including the guys that did the scrap melts. I didn't know anyone in the industry who was stick often (and I knew a lot of people). We were a pretty healthy bunch, overall.

That's gotta be worth somethin.
I don’t know what kind of precaution you people were taking but in any case i would not be ok with inhailing metal vapor.
I see you’re a supporter of CS. No problem, i’m using it myself but i don’t want to ingest or inhale it.
Don’t think it will be deadly or anything. But beneficial?
It would taste bad if nothing else. With possibly all that silver and copper deposited in the plant tissue and silver sulfide build up on the surface.
Doesn’t sound very appetizing.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I don’t know what kind of precaution you people were taking but in any case i would not be ok with inhailing metal vapor.
I see you’re a supporter of CS. No problem, i’m using it myself but i don’t want to ingest or inhale it.
Don’t think it will be deadly or anything. But beneficial?
It would taste bad if nothing else. With possibly all that silver and copper deposited in the plant tissue and silver sulfide build up on the surface.
Doesn’t sound very appetizing.
Must agree here..I just don't need anything like that in my Cannabis..It's just not necessary imo. When we grow, the idea always is "less is more"

It was and will be more fun this winter when I start breeding something again (that tent is full now, with a single seed that formed from a Gorilla Wreck#4 x Cackleberry)..Fun stuff.
It's a 2x4x6 and there is also a nice looking Blueberry in there with her. I love BB, but until now, have been very unlucky growing it..

Just three weeks in here: (looks nothing like either parent, except has Cackleberry bud structure.)
11 13 18

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Must agree here..I just don't need anything like that in my Cannabis..It's just not necessary imo. When we grow, the idea always is "less is more"

It was and will be more fun this winter when I start breeding something again (that tent is full now, with a single seed that formed from a Gorilla Wreck#4 x Cackleberry)..Fun stuff.
It's a 2x4x6 and there is also a nice looking Blueberry in there with her. I love BB, but until now, have been very unlucky growing it..

Just three weeks in here: (looks nothing like either parent, except has Cackleberry bud structure.)
View attachment 841381
Looks very nice
My next run is vegging
Just topped 2 of the PAKs
They have a very weird leaf formation.
I’m dealing with freaks this run.
Blueberry #1 has the most ridiciulous side branching and growth pattern i have seen thus far.
45E3A63F 20BA 40FE 97DC 5DEC7B5F0605

Already have more than i can smoke.
I think if things go this way i’m gonna stop using 5 gals and go with 1-2 gallon pots.
After this run i may do a reversing too. Want to get seeds. Don’t want to order. Also chucking pollen seems fun :)

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Looks very nice
My next run is vegging
Blueberry #1 has the most ridiciulous side branching and growth pattern i have seen thus far.
View attachment 841383
I think if things go this way i’m gonna stop using 5 gals and go with 1-2 gallon pots.
After this run i may do a reversing too. Want to get seeds. Don’t want to order. Also chucking pollen seems fun :)
They are nice..BB is one weird plant..but the smoke is great..I also grew and love Blue Cheese, and now have just germinated a BB Kush..I had heard people say that fruity and purple strains were lacking in potency..NOT here..GDP is my nightcap powerhouse and BB is nice anytime, including before sleep.

I began using 3 gallon fabric pots instead of 5..but I still have too much weed. (I just love growing and trying different strains..Like going into my own little candy store..LOL

I had a great time reversing and growing seeds..I got lucky the 1st round..I liked WW but it was lacking in flavor, so I reversed Cackleberry (my clone) to get some cherry flavor (Cack is a Cherry Deisel cross). IT WORKED..better than either parent, and that's going some. Rosin is also beyond my belief..

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
They are nice..BB is one weird plant..but the smoke is great..I also grew and love Blue Cheese, and now have just germinated a BB Kush..I had heard people say that fruity and purple strains were lacking in potency..NOT here..GDP is my nightcap powerhouse and BB is nice anytime, including before sleep.

I began using 3 gallon fabric pots instead of 5..but I still have too much weed. (I just love growing and trying different strains..Like going into my own little candy store..LOL

I had a great time reversing and growing seeds..I got lucky the 1st round..I liked WW but it was lacking in flavor, so I reversed Cackleberry (my clone) to get some cherry flavor (Cack is a Cherry Deisel cross). IT WORKED..better than either parent, and that's going some. Rosin is also beyond my belief..
Yeah also have blue kush from dinafem (blueberry x og kush) will grow next run.
Man, want to grow every strain. Want to see at least 10-15 strains ready to smoke :)
The only way to do is to go with little pots and maybe even 12/12 from seed. When i get my seeds and don’t pay shit ton of money for a couple of them i could be more brave.
Hope there is at least one keeper in there.
I have been lucky thus far, no bad phenos (and keepers too with only couple of seed), not the greatest probably (there is always a better pheno somewhere), but pretty good and if theres anything stronger out there i don’t wanna smoke that:)
Once i start making seeds i’m going all in. Gonna cross everyone to everyone. Literally chucking pollen.
Want to end up with something like “blue lights critical chem purple cookie kush”. I’m hoping for lotta hermies :)

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Yeah also have blue kush from dinafem (blueberry x og kush) will grow next run.
Man, want to grow every strain. Want to see at least 10-15 strains ready to smoke :)
The only way to do is to go with little pots and maybe even 12/12 from seed. When i get my seeds and don’t pay shit ton of money for a couple of them i could be more brave.
Hope there is at least one keeper in there.
I have been lucky thus far, no bad phenos (and keepers too with only couple of seed), not the greatest probably (there is always a better pheno somewhere), but pretty good and if theres anything stronger out there i don’t wanna smoke that:)
Once i start making seeds i’m going all in. Gonna cross everyone to everyone. Literally chucking pollen.
Want to end up with something like “blue lights critical chem purple cookie kush”. I’m hoping for lotta hermies :)
If you want seeds..now's the time..Black Friday sales are everywhere..I stocked up last yr for VERY cheap.
When I put pollen on different plants with different pollen, I put a different colored zip tie on each branch I pollinated..Took a scorecard to keep the shit straight..LMAO

I am looking for things to cross and "turn" this winter..so far, Bubblegum is in! Stress tested and great grow and smoke..Hmmmm..Bubble Widow..LMAO..I am gonna name that GW#4 x Cackleberry ...Whiteout..:p

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
If you want seeds..now's the time..Black Friday sales are everywhere..I stocked up last yr for VERY cheap.
When I put pollen on different plants with different pollen, I put a different colored zip tie on each branch I pollinated..Took a scorecard to keep the shit straight..LMAO

I am looking for things to cross and "turn" this winter..so far, Bubblegum is in! Stress tested and great grow and smoke..Hmmmm..Bubble Widow..LMAO..I am gonna name that GW#4 x Cackleberry ...Whiteout..:p
Yeah i’m kinda in a tight spot financially and my countries customs suck. They open shit willy nilly and then come after the recipient so i’m trying not to order for a while (too much weed in the jars :smoking:). I have what i need to eventually make “blue lights critical chem purple cookie kush” a.k.a manbearpig.
Just got to move one step at a time and do much pheno hunting :)
I may participate at the black friday next year.
Maybe name it white gum :) or maybe gum widow, her husband dies in a gum chewing catastrophe :p:p

420budz

420budz

Here is a bunch of information that I cut and pasted from all over the web..
Note: there is a lot of contradictory info contained within these articles/writings by OTHERS. It is up to you to decide what works..Yada, yada, yada.

Enjoy and there will be a Test afterwards..LOL
===============================================================

This produces 600ml/1 Pint of 50PPM (estimated) Colloidal silver in less than 2 hours. I used 3 x 9v batteries daisy chained to produce 27V, 20cm pure Silver wire (2 x 10cm Electrodes), a glass jar, some electrical tape and wood dowel for the wire support. It is self explanatory from the pictures of how its put together. Just add Distilled water and turn the air pump on and wait.
(It does pay to clean the electrodes with a nylon scourer every 10min or so). I used a TDS meter (it's an in-accurate way of doing it but its worked for me) to measure to 25PPM on the meter which is then multiplied to 2x - 2.5x for Colloidal PPM 25PPM = 50 - 62.5PPM of Colloidal Silver. Strain it through a coffee Filter and store in a dark place (I wrapped a sprayer bottle with foil) and your ready to go!

Important! Keep spraying daily until pollen sacs open up. Don't stop spraying early, even if pollen sacs appear to be already formed, otherwise they may not produce much pollen!

Step 3: Wait until the pollen sacs are ready. Let them swell like a big empty balloon. You will be able to tell when they are ready because they look about to burst and the leaf section protecting the pollen starts to crack.

Step 4: At this point, simply remove the pollen sacs carefully from the plant and place them in a cool dry place for a week to let them dry.

Step 5: Place the sacs in a small ziploc bag. The pollen will come out if you shake them a bit, or you can cut open the sacs manually to get to the pollen inside.

How to Store Pollen: Moisture is your main enemy when storing pollen. That's why I double the mass of the pollen collected by adding regular cooking flour. This will absorb any moisture during storage plus as an added bonus, it will make application easier when you get to pollinating. I triple-bag the pollen-flour mixture, and stick it in the freezer with a good nametag so I know where the pollen came from. With this method,marijuana pollen can be stored for a year or longer.

Use the Feminized Pollen to Pollinate Another Female

Step 6: When your chosen mother is 2-3 weeks into the flowering stage, take a paintbrush and 'paint' your feminized pollen on bud sites of the branches you want to pollinate. Only the buds that come in contact with pollen will start to grow seeds. You can choose to pollinate all of your buds, but most growers will only choose to pollinate a few, so they can harvest and smoke the rest. (Seed-laden buds focus all their energy on making seeds, not on growing buds)

Step 7: It usually takes about 6 weeks for your feminized seeds to fully develop. Some plants are literally dying right as the seeds become ready, so to get the most viable seeds, you need to try to keep the plant alive until the seeds actually start dropping. The seeds can be used right away, or stored in a cool, dry place for several years. Don't forget to label them with the date!

So very basic description of colloidal silver and it’s actions: It is a solution of pure silver particles suspended in distilled water. It is often taken orally for health benefits (easy to purchase). When used on marijuana plants, it inhibits ethylene production needed (and normally produced) by the plant to produce female flowers, thus forcing the plant to produce male pollen sacs instead. Since there are no male chromosomes, the pollen is female (listed in many places as 99.99% female) and will produce female seeds.

CAUTION: First be completely aware that any part of a plant that you spray with colloidal silver IS NOT SAFE FOR CONSUMPTION (smoking or ingesting). The pollen created is completely safe to use and all seeds created with that pollen are safe.

BE SAFE!!! For this reason, I highly recommend using a complete plant (small clone or plant) to produce your pollen. Separate this plant from all other plants so you do not get colloidal silver spray on any consumable plants.

What you will need:

1) Colloidal Silver (CS) Spray (at least 40 ppm and pure – not too strong either!) and a spray bottle. I purchased Bio-Silver Ultra Colloidal Silver 50 ppm online and it worked.

2) One female plant to turn male. From seed or clone doesn’t matter – but it should be the best looking female with all the characteristics that matter to you, since it will be used as a parent for your seeds. This can be a small plant in a small pot.

3) One female plant to pollinate. You can pollinate just a few flowers on a branch (do not use bottom flowers because they may not produce finished seeds), an entire branch, or the entire plant.

The day before you change your light cycle to 12/12, you will begin to thoroughly mist all new growth areas with the CS spray on the plant you wish to turn male. Repeat this at least once daily until you see male pods forming (use magnifying glass to watch closely – approximately 10 to 21 days). If the plant begins developing flowers quickly (as with auto-flowering strains), spray 2 to 3 times daily (dependent upon the plant’s tolerance of the solution) until you see male pollen sacs forming where female flowers were developing). Once daily is the recommendation unless otherwise needed. Be sure to store your CS in a dark place between uses as light can degrade the CS solution. AND REMEMBER TO AVOID SPRAY TOUCHING CONSUMABLE PLANTS!!!

Once you are sure male sacs are developing, separate this male plant from your females to avoid accidental pollination. I simply took my female-turned-male plant to a different room with no air movement and let it survive on window light. A closet with a CFL would do nicely too. Heat and moisture are pollen killers, so avoid hot or moist areas.

Once male sacs begin to develop on the plant, it will be a bit of time before the majority of the sacs open to release pollen. With the auto strain I did, it was about 2 weeks, but this time varies with different strains. Don’t disturb this plant (no air flow) and simply wait for numerous pollen sacs to open. Even the slightest air draft carries the pollen adrift… but it also makes it so very easy to collect too! When numerous pollen sacs are open, a gentle tap makes the pollen easy to collect on any clean smooth surface like glass or a mirror. It will be slightly yellowish in color. Use immediately, or dry and freeze for later use.

Need I say it is very important to change clothes and wash yourself completely before re-entering your flowering room!!! Pollen is very small and clings to clothing, hair, etc very easily.

Now, if you prepared ahead, you will also have a female plant flowering very nicely by the time you have your pollen. Isolate the plant, or branch, and pollinate. This info isn’t geared towards detailed pollination methods, so please check other sources for that information. I used a Q-tip and tapped it gently over the flowers I wanted to pollinate.

Allow the female plant (or branch) adequate time to finish producing viable seed. If you take her early, your seeds will not be viable. The time needed for viable seeds varies with different strains and can range from 3 to 6 weeks with an average of 4 to 5 weeks.

Wah-lah… you now have feminized seeds… at least that’s what the info said SHOULD happen!

Last… my own experience…

Before deciding to try colloidal silver, I had already purchased 10 regular (not feminized) auto-flowering seeds because I wanted to be able to have male pollen to use to create my own seeds. After planting those seeds, I got to reading about CS and decided to try this too.

Nine out of ten seeds came up. My biggest concerns were that I couldn’t simply start spraying the day before light change because I didn’t have feminized seeds and the strain is auto-flowering. I knew I would have to wait until the plants showed their sex and worried it wouldn’t work because I couldn’t start it soon enough and autoflowering plants go direct into flowering once they preflower.

I ended up with 5 females and 4 males. I watched closely for preflowers and identified the females as quickly as I could. I saved the two best males in case the CS didn’t work. I did find out it is very easy to collect pollen with those first males… and I did pollinate a female just to assure I would have seeds and the CS procedure wasn’t finished by the time the true males pollen was.

I took the largest and best looking female and began to spray her once daily as soon as she clearly showed preflowers. But since this is an auto flowering plant, she began to grow small hairy flowers in the first few days. I increased to spraying the new growth areas (basically small flowers beginning in all nodes) to 2 to 3 times daily for the next 10 days, but this solution is pretty hard on the plant. When I began to feel I was seeing changes (looking at thru 20x magnifying glass), I decreased to once daily again for the remainder of the 21 days it took to have this lil lady turn male.

She put up a good fight. She kept shooting out hairs everywhere and I kept spraying them, which ultimately killed them and turned those female pods into male sacs. I am not at all concerned about hermie traits because she was definitely all girl being forced to grow balls. But balls she did grow in the end! I will also say, her leaves were shriveled pretty bad and her growth was definitely stunted with this procedure – but she ended up giving me all the pollen I would ever need for this strain.

Since it worked with an auto-flowering strain, I have now taken 2 clones from each of the non-auto strains I have vegging (I prefer pure strains, not cross-strains). I will use one to create a small male and the other as a small female to flower. Won’t need to put them in anything but small pots, won’t take up too much room, can remove from the room easily for safe pollination… and will sure give me nice returns with pure strains seeds I can pop anytime I want!!!

I hope others find this useful too – because I am in no way a professional!! If I can do it, so can others!

From the author: Since professional growers produce feminized seeds, I decided to research how they did it. There were a few different ways suggested, but the one that interested me the most was using colloidal silver. Some articles said this is the main way seed growers develop feminized seeds and/or “self” the plant.
@Buzzer777 dang man thank you for all the info. I really appreciate it.
The colloidal silver isn't a problem unless you smoke it. There is no movement of the silver ions to anywhere else on the plant except the site where it was applied. Smoking heats the silver and can cause some reactions that don't happen without the added heat. Bottom line...don't smoke any treated branches. Any non treated areas should be fine as well as any plants that comes from the treated seeds. Silver is fairly reactive and I wouldn't recommend smoking anything directly treated with it...anything that comes from the treated seeds or non treated branches should be fine.
The colloidal silver isn't a problem unless you smoke it. There is no movement of the silver ions to anywhere else on the plant except the site where it was applied. Smoking heats the silver and can cause some reactions that don't happen without the added heat. Bottom line...don't smoke any treated branches. Any non treated areas should be fine as well as any plants that comes from the treated seeds. Silver is fairly reactive and I wouldn't recommend smoking anything directly treated with it...anything that comes from the treated seeds or non treated branches should be fine.
@Jimster that's exactly what I was asking. Can I use CS on the lower branch of a plant to get pollen and smoke the untreated buds that develop normally?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

@Buzzer777 dang man thank you for all the info. I really appreciate it.

@Jimster that's exactly what I was asking. Can I use CS on the lower branch of a plant to get pollen and smoke the untreated buds that develop normally?
You're welcome..I would still trash the entire plant even if I only treated a branch or two..Like I said..I don't need the weed anyway.

420budz

420budz

You're welcome..I would still trash the entire plant even if I only treated a branch or two..Like I said..I don't need the weed anyway.
@Buzzer777 yeah I'm thinking the smart thing to do is just plant a couple of plants just for the purpose of seeding. Even if they stay small if I can get 50 seeds I'm good for a while. I just hate to invest months in 2 plants to end up trashing them. They serve a purpose but ya know.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

@Buzzer777 yeah I'm thinking the smart thing to do is just plant a couple of plants just for the purpose of seeding. Even if they stay small if I can get 50 seeds I'm good for a while. I just hate to invest months in 2 plants to end up trashing them. They serve a purpose but ya know.
That's why I turn clones that I cut from known good plants here..
Depending on what you pollinate..you will be amazed at how many seeds are made..I only pollinated 1 small lower branch of a Cackleberry female clone with turned Cackleberry pollen and got over 20 seeds! (made some Cackleberry S1 females)

420budz

420budz

That's why I turn clones that I cut from known good plants here..
Depending on what you pollinate..you will be amazed at how many seeds are made..I only pollinated 1 small lower branch of a Cackleberry female clone with turned Cackleberry pollen and got over 20 seeds! (made some Cackleberry S1 females)
@Buzzer777 that's what I might do. I'll just clone my girls and set one to flower for pollen then set the other to flower right after. Might be easier and better than risking wasting a bigger girl.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

@Buzzer777 that's what I might do. I'll just clone my girls and set one to flower for pollen then set the other to flower right after. Might be easier and better than risking wasting a bigger girl.
Oh..it's gets even better..I made some simple "air pots" and keep the clones that I will turn very small..I even flowered (turned) in one!
3 14 18 Cackleberry CS treated clone
4 6 18 Cackleberry female pollen
Air pot 2

420budz

420budz

Oh..it's gets even better..I made some simple "air pots" and keep the clones that I will turn very small..I even flowered (turned) in one!
View attachment 841530 View attachment 841531 View attachment 841532
@Buzzer777 I like that. Ima have to try that. I dont know why my plants dont get very big in veg. They seem to stay small and I go up in pot size as they get bigger. That's why it bums me out to waste a plant cause mine take forever to grow. I've seen dudes post their 4 week old plants and them things are like a foot or bigger. Ive had a plant for like 2 months and it's like 4 inches tall. Haha. I gotta figure this out.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

@Buzzer777 I like that. Ima have to try that. I dont know why my plants dont get very big in veg. They seem to stay small and I go up in pot size as they get bigger. That's why it bums me out to waste a plant cause mine take forever to grow. I've seen dudes post their 4 week old plants and them things are like a foot or bigger. Ive had a plant for like 2 months and it's like 4 inches tall. Haha. I gotta figure this out.
If you post the particulars of your grows..Medium, nutes, ph etc..we can get an idea and maybe help. Poorly vegged plants will not flower or even grow well..
Some strains stay small and some get big fast too. I usually veg for 7-8 weeks and flip when plants are about 18" tall. I have a GSC in flower n ow that looks like ground cover! She may be culled before long to make room for something better.

420budz

420budz

If you post the particulars of your grows..Medium, nutes, ph etc..we can get an idea and maybe help. Poorly vegged plants will not flower or even grow well..
Some strains stay small and some get big fast too. I usually veg for 7-8 weeks and flip when plants are about 18" tall. I have a GSC in flower n ow that looks like ground cover! She may be culled before long to make room for something better.
@Buzzer777 so the soil I use is fox farm ocean. Basically germinate in a paper towel. Once it breaks through the shell I set it in a Rockwell cube in a cup of soil. Once it's gotten about 4 inches I up the size of pot. I havent really fed them any notes other than what is in the soil. I do have calmag and nitro but havent really given them any. When I do set them to flower after about 7 months when they're about 15 inches or so I feed them Bloom. I havent yet experienced them doubling in size during flower like every else.

GeneticGiant

GeneticGiant

Looks very nice
My next run is vegging
View attachment 841383

Exactly Crimson. You've been keeping an eye on my posts so you've probably noticed that's what i'm doing. Still looking at probably over an oz each plant in 3 gallons around 60 days from seed in dirt. (I don't towel pop, I have a very simple reason for this.)

GeneticGiant

GeneticGiant

@Buzzer777 so the soil I use is fox farm ocean. Basically germinate in a paper towel. Once it breaks through the shell I set it in a Rockwell cube in a cup of soil. Once it's gotten about 4 inches I up the size of pot. I havent really fed them any notes other than what is in the soil. I do have calmag and nitro but havent really given them any. When I do set them to flower after about 7 months when they're about 15 inches or so I feed them Bloom. I havent yet experienced them doubling in size during flower like every else.
Some strains will have a stretching flower and some will just get robust and chunky if you think about it. Mostly just the Sativa or Indica genetics showing.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Stretching is strain dependent.You say 7 months in veg and only 15" tall? Something isn't right.

420budz

420budz

Some strains will have a stretching flower and some will just get robust and chunky if you think about it. Mostly just the Sativa or Indica genetics showing.
@GeneticGiant I had a sweettooth that grew tall but didnt produce thick buds. Had a lemon haze that produced decent. Then I had 2 Bruce banners that both turned hermie. Produced good size buds but kept having to pluck nanners off every day. Now I have a golden goat in flower now but damn shes like 6 months old. I have a Bruce banner, golden goat, blue dream and lucky charm seedlings going but I'm not sure how you guys get them so big so fast.

20181114 161831
Top Bottom