Finally Got A Cob Lit Up! Multi-meter Questions

• Thread starter cccmints
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cccmints

So I finally ordered a couple COBs and wired one of them up. Honestly, I was a little shocked it actually lit up lol. Even the dimming works great.

So about the multi-meter...I'm thinking I just didn't order a high enough quality one. I got this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWGZ4XC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the 2/20A setting the maximum reading reached is .012a, while my driver is 1.4a. I want to use the multi-meter to bring the current down to what's showcased in the COB's datasheet so I can determine the measurement distance used in that datasheet.

What do you guys think? Get a better multi-meter? Or I'm overlooking something simple? Hopefully the latter. But hey, at-least the COB actually lit up! And damn this thing is bright.
Driver
Multimeter1

C

cccmints

What does it read using the clamp mech? Place wire inside of closed ring...should give you amp reading.i would clip on to supply from wall and dim till you hit your make. I could be wrong..you did say it was a cheap one!! It could just be that your "scale" is out too.just mulitply by 100 ie .012 is 1.2 amps.
I got a lot of responses on another forum and it seems the issue has been hammered out. I'll share the solution in-case someone with similar struggles has issues.

So first off, my meter only measures A/C Current. Apparently I could place a 0.1ohm 1w resistor in series with the COB, then measure the D/C Voltage across the resistor and multiply the reading times 10 to see the current in amps. Or I could do what I've decided I'll be doing and purchase a more pricey, but more accurate, Fluke Multimeter with the following functions: AC Voltage; AC Current; DC Current; DC Voltage; Capacitance; Diode Test

I'll want to place that meter in series with my COB as depicted below, rather than placing the multimeter probes on the positive and negative terminals of the potentiometer as I was doing before.

Measuring Current With A Multi Meter

Top Bottom