Finishing Earlier?

• Thread starter BDGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BDGrows

BDGrows

So, I've been doing some reading and I was wondering what everyone's consensus on this topic was. I've read that some people believe that in a Hydro medium, plants will finish flowering sooner than if it were in a soil medium; with some claiming up to two weeks. I'm not sure I believe this, being that it would make sense that a plant will finish based off of its genetics and not the medium in which it is grown. I've also read that you can give it "finishing" nutrients, such as overdrive and powdered koolbloom to make them finish sooner as well. Is there any merits to these claims or are they just growing myths? Thanks for the input everyone,

- BD

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Absolutely these claims have been substantiated. There are several things that increase growth rates and control fruiting of plants. light (quality and quantity), Temp/humidity (VPD or vapor pressure deficit), nutrient (availability, makeup and balanced ratio's for certain stages of growth) hormones (both produced naturally by the plant or introduced by the grower)and bacteria. The claims your talking about are influenced mostly by nutrient availability in hydroponics and the ability to adjust them quickly and accurately. While some additives do have a significant effect on growth and fruiting there are a shit ton (and that's an understatement) of cash grab miracles in a bottle. When it come to nutrients specifically the only time they will improve anything is if there is a deficiency and adding to much usually has a negative result.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I just realized you meant flowering time only. I would say it's dependent on lot more factor's than just medium. Hydro might decrease the time it takes to get the desired bud size. which could allow the use of plant hormones such as ethylene that will speed up the ripening process. This is a natural process the plants goes through on its own that can be manipulated to an extent but that would shorten the overall growth time of buds possibly reducing yields. I think where hydro makes the most difference in terms of time would be in veg and minimally in flower as you would want to keep those buds growing as long as possible.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Uv light speeds up maturation of the trich
I was aware that UV increased trich production in either number or size and to much could damage them but I was not aware that it sped up maturity. I'm guessing that's due to damage from UV?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I was aware that UV increased trich production in either number or size and to much could damage them but I was not aware that it sped up maturity. I'm guessing that's due to damage from UV?
Yup.. If you take a cheap hps and then add some uv bulbs to it you shave a week. If you do it wrong you burn your plants and give yourself skin cancer.

Clamwrangler

Clamwrangler

Yup.. If you take a cheap hps and then add some uv bulbs to it you shave a week. If you do it wrong you burn your plants and give yourself skin cancer.

So as you can see its a fool proof system. And skin cancer is only a small price to pay for the medicines you'll need later down the track anyway! :cry::cry:

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
The only sure fire way to speed up ripening that I am aware of is shortening the light cycle. I have done side by sides and indeed have shaved a week or 2 by reducing the lighting schedule by reducing lights on time.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I don't think it matters other than coverage in which case a reflector would be best in most cases to maximize the light but not manditory
Radiant flux... You can hang them high and cover the whole plant and it wont work. 99% of people that didnt see a difference did not use them properly.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Radiant flux... You can hang them high and cover the whole plant and it wont work. 99% of people that didnt see a difference did not use them properly.
Not sure what you mean? I was referring to the type of bulb and a reflector would in most cases maximize the the light efficiency. The distance from the canopy definitely plays the biggest role if that what your getting at.

Sorry in advance i'm terrible at reading and interpreting sometimes.

BDGrows

BDGrows

Ive been reading and some have claimed to start slow, 12 - 18" from the top and starting w/ 30min a day then working up to 6 hours a day (to mimic the high point of UVB from 10am - 4pm). Any insight youd like to give on the matter?

- BD

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Ive been reading and some have claimed to start slow, 12 - 18" from the top and starting w/ 30min a day then working up to 6 hours a day (to mimic the high point of UVB from 10am - 4pm). Any insight youd like to give on the matter?

- BD
I run them the whole 12 right after they stop stretching. They dont work worth a shit after 18in... Under 12 is good.

IMG 20180612 210828 129
Top Bottom