First Cob Led Grow. It's Alive!

• Thread starter Planter01
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Planter01

Planter01

Well things seem to be moving along pretty well. First grow with LED's and went with a DIY setup with 18-3590 COBS and the drivers to go with them. I've got 13 different varieties going. I had planned on thinning them down to 9 but I didn't have the heart. I'm also using this first run to refine my training techniques. I've LSTed, Topped, FIMed, and super cropped. I'm just stunned at the density of the growth and the tightness of the nodes. I flipped at five weeks from 20/4 to 12/12 last night so off we go. I'm thinking things are going to work out just fine.
First cob led grow its alive

First cob led grow its alive 2

First cob led grow its alive 3

First cob led grow its alive 4

I guess I'm just excited. I generally like to keep my grows to myself as much as possible but I also think I need to share with other kindred spirits./Bone Heads.

Possibly

Possibly

Nice DIY COB light! I love the passive heat sinks, I started with fans and am about halfway through converting mine over to passive. Looks like an awesome grow. :)

I built mine about a year ago, when 3070's were still all the rage. What kelvin did you go with? I ended out with (2) 5000, (2) 4000, and (4) 3000, set up in pairs with on/off switches. I'm running those in a 2x4 tent. I'm small-time, just one med patient to grow for.

Seems like RIU died (?!?!) a few days ago, so there may be a few more DIY COB builders migrating to other sites...?

Planter01

Planter01

Spot on Possibly. I went with 3500K and don't plan on doing anything differently for flowering. We will see how well that works before adding any supplemental lighting. These 3590s are putting it out there. I'm running one potentiometer so I can dim things down a bit when I've stressed them. I would go the DIY route again. It let's me determine the foot print. I only know of one other light source that does a better job than these 3590 LED'S. None of this mean nadda until it's jarred.

Possibly

Possibly

I only know of one other light source that does a better job than these 3590 LED'S.

Come on... you can't just leave that hangin' there.... lol What light source would that be?
(Perhaps "the sun"?)

I've done most of my indoor growing with COBs, but last summer picked up an HPS light for some outdoor experiments (I know... evolution working in reverse, but that seems to be the way of things these days). This winter I'm growing with HID lighting for the first time indoors. HPS vs COB has been an ongoing discussion/argument, and from what I've seen there are so many variables that it seems that either one dialed in (by a seasoned grower) will get great results.

I'm still on the fence, and I'm contemplating trying CMH in the future. My first impressions are that HPS (in a cooltube) is a bit more forgiving than COBs when it comes to balancing light with nutes. I'm growing in soil, btw. I experiment constantly and sometimes I even come away with replicable data, but for the most part its trial and error and try again.

Planter01

Planter01

It's the sun possibly at least for now. I'm stuck on LED'S but they have pushed the price of HID way down. You can get a couple thousand watts for short money and if you can keep them cool you get a shit ton of bang for your buck. Low ceiling height is what initially pushed me to the 3590s. They run cooler than a woman's heart. My roots are always in the dirt Possibly. It's forgiving and easy. I'm not big on high end nutes and I look straight to the NPK. I get all the little nutes from a constant diet of fish crap filled pond water and seaweed tea. Ha I'm probably the only guy left who still uses Tiger Bloom. Actually this time I'm using a freebie of "Soul" I think it's called. Hard to know if it's working or if the lights are. IDK.
20170206 220616

20170206 221046

mandalaman

mandalaman

Well things seem to be moving along pretty well. First grow with LED's and went with a DIY setup with 18-3590 COBS and the drivers to go with them. I've got 13 different varieties going. I had planned on thinning them down to 9 but I didn't have the heart. I'm also using this first run to refine my training techniques. I've LSTed, Topped, FIMed, and super cropped. I'm just stunned at the density of the growth and the tightness of the nodes. I flipped at five weeks from 20/4 to 12/12 last night so off we go. I'm thinking things are going to work out just fine.
View attachment 667131
View attachment 667132
View attachment 667133
View attachment 667134
I guess I'm just excited. I generally like to keep my grows to myself as much as possible but I also think I need to share with other kindred spirits./Bone Heads.
These look beautiful!

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

I'm really digging the setup planter1! Just one long row with great access to each plant. Stellar, and with the cobs you should be able to throw down heavy. The last run I pulled 1.3 g/w and the run before was 1.5 g/watt. Using the same cree 3590 3500k in organic soil.

Planter01

Planter01

Rock On Tex. I've got 900 watts going but I'd be pleased to yield 1.3g per watt. IDK if I'll make it this run but these COB's are making for some very healthy girls. I've been making them bend to my will just for a non scientific study in physical manipulation. So Tex are you giving your COB'S any supplemental lighting or do you think they stand on their own? I think the next 8 weeks is gonna be a blast. I have no doubt that I'll do ok and there is nothing like tending flowering plants. I'm always in awe of the whole thing. They are stout little lasses. POSSIBLY your right about screwing around just for the sake of screwing around. Why.. cause it's fun.
20170210 215251

20170210 214215

20170210 214209

Dunge

Dunge

Very nice.
I'm intrigued by those COBS.
18 lamps over what sort of floor space?
900 watts, so each one is pulling 50 watts.
And I love the passive cooling.

In your picture, the plants on the right don't look to be under the lights.
Is this just an illusion?

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

Rock On Tex. I've got 900 watts going but I'd be pleased to yield 1.3g per watt. IDK if I'll make it this run but these COB's are making for some very healthy girls. I've been making them bend to my will just for a non scientific study in physical manipulation. So Tex are you giving your COB'S any supplemental lighting or do you think they stand on their own? I think the next 8 weeks is gonna be a blast. I have no doubt that I'll do ok and there is nothing like tending flowering plants. I'm always in awe of the whole thing. They are stout little lasses. POSSIBLY your right about screwing around just for the sake of screwing around. Why.. cause it's fun.
View attachment 667840
View attachment 667841
View attachment 667842
Looks like you could make it, at least 1+ g/w. Is the canopy full under the lights? I'm actually running 2-400w cob fixtures and 2-750w de hps alternating cob-hps-cob-hps. The cob plants finish faster, by as much as 3-4 days on an 8 week strain. The nugs are more dense and colorful than their hps counterpart as well. I'm transitioning to 100% cob.
My best yeild under the DE hps was like .9 g/w.

Dunge

Dunge

quick question about g/w
What weight is being used?
Wet harvest weight of stem and all?
Market ready cured bud?
Or a variety of intermediate stages?

I cure and de-bone before weighing.
I'm only getting a little over .5g/w this way.
Should I aspire to get twice this yield?

justiceman

justiceman

quick question about g/w
Market ready cured bud?

To my knowledge GPW is dried, cured, ready to smoke flowers. .5/w is considered pretty average for most growers. 1gpw is great, and above 1gpw can be had with certain strains, experience, and training techniques.

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

quick question about g/w
Market ready cured bud?

This is dried, trimmed (broken down all the way, no stem), and going into the jars for curing. I know it may sound far reaching but 1.5 g/w is attainable with cobs. Check out Grow Mau5 or Green Geene on youtube. Here's a pic for the thirsty.
6 weeks under 8 3590 @50 watts each
100 5318

Top Bottom