First Defoliation.

• Thread starter Midnite Tokr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

My ladies were getting a tad too bushy, I was half expecting an Asian with a rifle to hop out at me every time I opened my tent....... So I did their first defloration. I started by removing any fan leaves as big as/bigger than my hand, and defoliated the bottom 20% of plants, making sure not to damage bud sites, and keeping canopy which enough you can't see thru it. In 3 weeks, I'll do this one last time. I'm thinking I may also remove the buds from the bottom 20% of plants. I'm thinking this would give the top portion the energy, etc they need to get bigger? Here's some before and after pics. They go before defloration side and top, than after side and top.

First defoliation
First defoliation 2
First defoliation 3
First defoliation 4
First defoliation 5
First defoliation 6
First defoliation 7
First defoliation 8
First defoliation 9
First defoliation 10
First defoliation 11
First defoliation 12
T

TripC

"I was half expecting an Asian with a rifle to hop out at me every time I opened my tent......."
hahahaha that's great. Looks good to me. I think it's a great idea to defoliate before flower and lollipop the lower third of the bush so that the airy wasteful buds don't grow and waste nutrients - but that's just me - some like the lower stuff for making oils and whatnot. Although some say defoliating again in early to mid flower is fine, I say don't - as little of stress as possible in flower is the way I go. Good luck on the rest of your grow.

Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

Well it's the day after Defoliation, and I must say, the plants seem to be doing better. The buds lower on branches have gotten perkier already from all the extra light.

Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

Looks great! Leaving it that way through the rest of any growth/stretch and then flower is the way to go in my opinion. Some will defoliate again in mid flower - not I!
Thanks man. Idk if I will or not. Depends how bushy they get again. I have 3 in a 4x2x5 tent, a indica/sativa hybrid (I believe) and 2 indica's. Before I did this, only tops got light, and just the very top of the tops!!! Now each plant sits comfy with room around to play with and spin plants as needed. If they begin to choke out again, I may defoliate one or 2 lightly just to make them cozy again.

Farmer P

Farmer P

Plant looks good. I'm going to experiment with some defoliation in my next indoor grow. I'm thinking the big fan leaves are there mainly to get the node at their armpit started. Once the new branch can hold its own then it may be better to remove the leaf and let in more light. I would mainly cut the ones that are shading a site below.

Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

Plant looks good. I'm going to experiment with some defoliation in my next indoor grow. I'm thinking the big fan leaves are there mainly to get the node at their armpit started. Once the new branch can hold its own then it may be better to remove the leaf and let in more light. I would mainly cut the ones that are shading a site below.
Yea, those big fan leaves are the first to go man. Any fan hand sized or bigger, anywhere on the plant goes. I keep up with this a leaf at a time when they pop up, in between defoliations. The ladies needs to have a good root base before doing any defoliation, otherwise you can mess up plant because they need those leaves for water intake until they have a good root base. But once root base is established, pluck those puppies, just keep in mind you should never be able to see the whole way thru the plant canopy, they do need a few nice leaves up top left to thrive. Outdoors they need those leaves to get the most light, moisture etc from nature, indoors, the farmer is their nature, so the leaves aren't as important and necessary to the plants survival. A few days after I defoliated, the plants went nuts with new bud growth. All the extra light getting try made all the little bottom buds plump up, and more pop up that weren't there before. I know some people day no way, don't do it, it kills plants, but those are ones that have tried it, done it wrong, and yes, killed their ladies. I stand by defoliation tho, personally I've always had good results.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Yea, those big fan leaves are the first to go man. Any fan hand sized or bigger, anywhere on the plant goes. I keep up with this a leaf at a time when they pop up, in between defoliations. The ladies needs to have a good root base before doing any defoliation, otherwise you can mess up plant because they need those leaves for water intake until they have a good root base. But once root base is established, pluck those puppies, just keep in mind you should never be able to see the whole way thru the plant canopy, they do need a few nice leaves up top left to thrive. Outdoors they need those leaves to get the most light, moisture etc from nature, indoors, the farmer is their nature, so the leaves aren't as important and necessary to the plants survival. A few days after I defoliated, the plants went nuts with new bud growth. All the extra light getting try made all the little bottom buds plump up, and more pop up that weren't there before. I know some people day no way, don't do it, it kills plants, but those are ones that have tried it, done it wrong, and yes, killed their ladies. I stand by defoliation tho, personally I've always had good results.
Those large fan leaves are like solar panels for your plant, they collect light and carbon dioxide for the plant to use to grow. I only take off the bottom growth and the fan leaves that are shading a bud site, I let the big ones out by theirselves stay.

Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

Those large fan leaves are like solar panels for your plant, they collect light and carbon dioxide for the plant to use to grow. I only take off the bottom growth and the fan leaves that are shading a bud site, I let the big ones out by theirselves stay.
I know that, but when the entire plant is in shadow and buried beneath a dense matt of leaves, some need to go. I have plants with over 12 tops, and only had 12 buds growing!! After defoliation, my plant has exploded in new bud growth, and my colas gotten even fatter. I don't take all leaves, defoliate the lower 20%, and always leave enough of a canopy that you can't see thru the plant.

below frigid

below frigid

Outdoors I don't defoliate so to speak. I do clean out the center of plants for air flow( large plants ) mainly small spindley branches that ends up popcorn anyway. Try to get them all cleaned up right before the first buds start stacking. I do pop off as many yellow leaves as I can keep up with during the last few weeks.

Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

Outdoors I don't defoliate so to speak. I do clean out the center of plants for air flow( large plants ) mainly small spindley branches that ends up popcorn anyway. Try to get them all cleaned up right before the first buds start stacking. I do pop off as many yellow leaves as I can keep up with during the last few weeks.
From what I've heard, outdoors the leaves are more important. Idk, can't grow outdoors here.

ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

My fellow cultivator....you must resist the urge to take your beautiful ladies to viaducts and beneath bridges to take photos of them ! ! ! Cig butts...rags that looked like they just finished cleaning a Subie that's gone through a blueberry field full speed....

Come on man....have more respect for the ladies......oh, and Asians too....

You may now return to your regularly scheduled activities. ...

Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

My fellow cultivator....you must resist the urge to take your beautiful ladies to viaducts and beneath bridges to take photos of them ! ! ! Cig butts...rags that looked like they just finished cleaning a Subie that's gone through a blueberry field full speed....

Come on man....have more respect for the ladies......oh, and Asians too....

You may now return to your regularly scheduled activities. ...
Where pictures were taken, isn't where they were grown.... Gimme a break. I grow UNDERGROUND, literally, and figuratively. My grow is in multiple mylar tents. 2x5x5 feet, all exhausted, all with HPS lights, separate intake fans, filters etc. The area nearby may by dirty, but the tents are as pristine inside and out as the day they were purchased. As for my level of respect for my ladies, you no not one thing about me, so you have no clue as to my level of respect for them, or anything else for that matter. As for Asians, if you can't take a joke, you need to smoke more weed, or better weed, either or, and lighten up a bit. Smdh

BobaJob

BobaJob

Hi

I'm on my 1st grow and would really appreciate some advice... I have topped once (main shoot) and the side shots have shot right up on all but two plants. I have noticed that the two top fan leaves that would have been next to where the 2 new tops have shot from are covering a lot of the side shoots. Do you think it would be a good idea to lop them off so light can get to the other shoots?

Thanks in advance

Peace

Top Bottom