First Grow 4x4 Hid System.

• Thread starter FrenchOG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FrenchOG

FrenchOG

Ppm runoff still between 1500 and 2500 for all of them! A yellow bug trap dropped on one of my plants(middle right)! Ever heard of automatic defoliation? Lol and then I broke a stem while watering them. Any tips to make a watering system solid but low cost?
One of the g13xsd (bottom center) is very odd. I had to clip all the bif fan leaves because thwy were growing sideways with long stems and weird shapes.

20180304 163219
FrenchOG

FrenchOG

Might have to move the plants around to fill up the scrog more evenly. I might take advantage of the situation to reset my scrog line, it's not as tight as I'd like it to be. Also might raise it by a few inches because I feel like the flowering stretch could fuck up how level my canopy is - not sure how to deal with that.

20180307 050751
20180307 050817
Enforcer

Enforcer

Not yet. Gonna wait til the scrog is ~90% full

You have a lot of plant in the net already. I would suggest flipping now, and tuck for the first 2 weeks of the stretch. Then just let them go. That will solve your canopy management problem too.

FrenchOG

FrenchOG

You have a lot of plant in the net already. I would suggest flipping now, and tuck for the first 2 weeks of the stretch. Then just let them go. That will solve your canopy management problem too.
Ok then. How much new growth am I supposed to let go? I dont want 5 tops per scrog square but I dont wanna defoliate too much and reduce yield or stress the plant too much

FrenchOG

FrenchOG

They're growing fast as fuck and I pluck leaves on the daily. A lot of them. I just dont wanna hurt my plants by doing too much lol

Enforcer

Enforcer

Well, to be honest, I think your squares are a bit big. You want them small enough you can tuck a couple days growth into the next square, but big enough to not be a pain to work with.

Once you flip to flower, the plants will begin to stretch. Most strains will at least double in size over the next few weeks. You want to harness this stretch into your net. When you bend the branch over, the two growth tips at each exposed node will come up through the net and become new tops.

The trick is to time your flip to just fill the net as the stretch ends. Flip too early and your plants won’t have vegged enough (smaller root mass and less plant material to work with). Wait too long and your plants will overgrow the net. Which brings a bunch of environmental management problems like high humidity. Which in turn brings on bud rot, and powdery mildew.

I think that 8 plants in a 4x4 net is going to be a handful. Usually you would use less plants with a bit longer veg for a SCRoG. Say 4, maybe 5. Since you already have 8 very happy plants going (nice work), I recommend you just flower them out and use the net as a support only. Just let them grow up through the net, no bending. This will allow you to experience the entire life cycle of the plant. Then try SCRoG next run with fewer plants. Especially for your first time trying it. I’ve done it three times now and still haven’t got the timing perfect. I just think you will have less problems and more fun that way.

You will probably need a second net about a foot or so above the first if you just let them grow. Which is relatively easy to do.

Don’t worry, you won’t hurt them either way. After you’ve broken a branch, duct taped it back together, and a week later it’s fine. You realize it’s a pretty resilient plant lol.

Last edited:
FrenchOG

FrenchOG

Well, to be honest, I think your squares are a bit big. You want them small enough you can tuck a couple days growth into the next square, but big enough to not be a pain to work with.

Once you flip to flower, the plants will begin to stretch. Most strains will at least double in size over the next few weeks. You want to harness this stretch into your net. When you bend the branch over, the two growth tips at each exposed node will come up through the net and become new tops.

The trick is to time your flip to just fill the net as the stretch ends. Flip too early and your plants won’t have vegged enough (smaller root mass and less plant material to work with). Wait too long and your plants will overgrow the net. Which brings a bunch of environmental management problems like high humidity. Which in turn brings on bud rot, and powdery mildew.

I think that 8 plants in a 4x4 net is going to be a handful. Usually you would use less plants with a bit longer veg for a SCRoG. Say 4, maybe 5. Since you already have 8 very happy plants going (nice work), I recommend you just flower them out and use the net as a support only. Just let them grow up through the net, no bending. This will allow you to experience the entire life cycle of the plant. Then try SCRoG next run with fewer plants. Especially for your first time trying it. I’ve done it three times now and still haven’t got the timing perfect. I just think you will have less problems and more fun that way.

You will probably need a second net about a foot or so above the first if you just let them grow. Which is relatively easy to do.

Don’t worry, you won’t hurt them either way. After you’ve broken a branch, duct taped it back together, and a week later it’s fine. You realize it’s a pretty resilient plant lol.
I'm gonna swing by home depot tonight and get material to build a second net level. For the squares, I think they're too big too (6 inches) but dont forget Im running 1000w, the buds should get pretty fat. I might leave first net at 6inch for support and make the top one only 4 or 5 inches. Also my area is 4.5×4.5, makes a pretty big difference but yeah I was gonna keep only the 3 best looking seedlings and get rid of the other but I got too much love and couldnt do it lol!

Also, what if I have to start crossing branches? No big deal?

I can't freakin wait to see flowers!!! First and last time I grew was 8 years ago!!(And my dude did most of the work)

Enforcer

Enforcer

I'm gonna swing by home depot tonight and get material to build a second net level. For the squares, I think they're too big too (6 inches) but dont forget Im running 1000w, the buds should get pretty fat. I might leave first net at 6inch for support and make the top one only 4 or 5 inches. Also my area is 4.5×4.5, makes a pretty big difference but yeah I was gonna keep only the 3 best looking seedlings and get rid of the other but I got too much love and couldnt do it lol!

Also, what if I have to start crossing branches? No big deal?

I can't freakin wait to see flowers!!! First and last time I grew was 8 years ago!!(And my dude did most of the work)

Haha, I totally understand where you’re coming from man. Killed me to throw away about 20 rooted clones I couldn’t use.

Cross branches all you want. They don’t care. But like you said, you don’t want tops touching. Have fun building your second net!

FrenchOG

FrenchOG

No second net but reset my first one. Raised a few inches and squares down to 4 sq in instead of 6.

Been watering 6.3-6.8pH as recommended by foxfarm. I need a doser asap tho, me and pH arent that big of friends. I bought a new 10$ pen but again yesterday I added 3ml of ph down to 10gal of watet and pH didnt move at all... I get to the pH I want but it always takes me ages, thank god I only water every 2 3 days!

The plants 'new growth is still way more yellow than the older part. Light is at 30 inches, getting close to running out of ceiling room lol.

Scrogwise I think (=hope) the stretch will fill the net up perfectly!

Edit : forgot to mention I switched to 12/12 this weekend!

20180312 191100
20180311 193958

Enforcer

Enforcer

What is your tap water ph?

Generally speaking a $10 ph pen will not be super accurate and need calibration weekly (or sooner). Also, depending on how hard your water is, 3ml of down to 10gal may not be that much. The more ppm your solution has, the more ph adjuster you’ll need to use.

RO water will move from like 7.0 to 6.0 with one small drop in a gallon. Whereas that same amount of 500 ppm tap water will need 1ml to 2ml just to move from say 7.0 to 6.5.
(Exaggerated slightly, but I think you get the point)

FrenchOG

FrenchOG

Woohoo! Let’s get this party started!
Hell oui!!!

Yeah man I just bought more calibration powder since I lost all the ones I had lol. I hate messing with this pH BS lol.

My tap isnt that hard, around 150-200ppm.
I got the pH to 6.6 before watering them yesterday. The runoff came out between 1100 and 2200ppm and pH was 6.6.

What do you all do with your trash btw? I was just gonna triple bag my old leaves lol.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Hell oui!!!

Yeah man I just bought more calibration powder since I lost all the ones I had lol. I hate messing with this pH BS lol.

My tap isnt that hard, around 150-200ppm.
I got the pH to 6.6 before watering them yesterday. The runoff came out between 1100 and 2200ppm and pH was 6.6.

What do you all do with your trash btw? I was just gonna triple bag my old leaves lol.
You could use Advanced Nutrients PH perfect line and you wouldn’t need to worry about it anymore. With that stuff, as long as you’re between a ph or 4-8, your good.

I live in a rec legal state. I just throw them in the yard debris can. lol

FrenchOG

FrenchOG

Hooray!! First sight of hair! Im thrilled. Kinda affraid to tie them down too early but they havent complained yet! Love to all
20180316 230456
20180316 225737
20180316 225342

Latest posts

Top Bottom