First Grow Mistake

• Thread starter 715CREEKS
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Erick31876

Erick31876

Personally if it’s getting cold at night I’d run your lights at night. Then during the night they won’t get so much humidity. You do need better air flow though and fresher intake air. Having old stale air in there is not making them happy and with high humidity you’re asking for fungus problems. Which will leave you with no other options but to chop and start over after a thorough cleaning. So you’ll have to address it at some point and you might as well do it now. The sooner you get things on the right track the quicker you’ll get the results you’re after. Until then you’ll chase your tail and scratch your head wondering what else could go wrong.
Exactly. Couldn't have said it any better

715CREEKS

715CREEKS

@Erick31876 @1diesel1 @Seraphine @JWM2 @Dan789 @DetGrnThumb

Thanks for all your advice and time, I really appreciate it, if you ever need any help growing chillies I can do that really well! Hopefully I will be able to say the same for this after a few more grows.

I made a little video of the plant for you so you could see.

I've swapped the light round so it's on at night and tried to get a bit more ventilation going.
If anyone has a few minutes to spare, would you mind looking at this shop and recommend a good set of nutes from start to finish for next time if that isn't too much to ask. I know everyone has a different opinion! It's for DWC, Blue Dream CBD & 300w LED. hydroculture co uk / nutrients

View attachment Editor[12].mp4

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I see lots of nute burn in that video.

The biggest tip I’d recommend is to grow shorter plants and flip them to flowering sooner. This will allow you to put the light closer and create a nice tight bud structure without them stretching so much. You could instead do some training to keep the canopy lower. With that light you’re not getting quite enough light for the distance you have your light set at.

What model light are you using and what height is it at now?

You would also benefit from some delarfing. By removing vegetation and bud sites down below that won’t get adequate light you’ll redirect that energy to the rest of the plant and get thicker, fuller buds up top where it does get ample light.

Personally I’d recommend BioBizz nutrients. They have a starter pack that runs about $80 and will get you well on your way. What nutrients are you running now? What kind of soil or grow medium are you currently using?

Erick31876

Erick31876

You got a shit load of nute burn from what i can see. I would get rid of them strip leds, they dont do anything, i kjoq that from experience, lol. You would be better off with cfls . Walmart and home depot sells a clamp light and get a 1 bulb into 2 splitter and put 2 cfl's on them. They are cheap and will work a lot better than them strips. My first grow i vegged sll of my plants with 4 or 5 of them cfl lights. I dont know where your from , but if you are close i would give them to you to help you out

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Imo the most important factors in any grow space are in this order:

1. Environment - Correct heat, humidity and air flow. You need fresh air coming in and old air exiting the space on a regular basis. I like to have enough air moving that the entire volume of air is exchanged 3-5x per minute.

Having the correct temp in your space is important because your plants need to transpire. That’s how they are able to soak up nutrients through their roots. Like humans, you can’t drink more water if you don’t pee or sweat out the moisture already in your system. Plants need to sweat so they can absorb more moisture and in turn nutrients are distributed through out the plant.

RH or relative humidity plays a role in this as well. If it’s too wet or humid they won’t be able to transpire correctly. If it’s too dry they’ll transpire too much and if your soil is full of rich nutrients that will cause your plants to burn.

2. Growing Medium - Any growing medium can be good or bad, depending on how you use it. Soil is more forgiving and hydro yields more material. A good growing medium is the foundation of your garden. Wether that be soil, coco or water. Utilize it correctly and you’ll be well on your way to great results.

3. Genetics - Once you’ve got the right environment for them to grow you need some decent genes to work with. Ones suited for your style of grow. If you don’t have much space then going with a 16+ week sativa isn’t a good idea. Grow strains that for your space.

4. Lights - Without ample lighting you’re not going to grow much of anything except for frustration. You don’t need state of the art lights but you do need the right spectrum and enough light to keep feeding your plant the energy they need to grow and flourish. LED lights need a higher temperature than HID lights. They can also easily burn plants not due to heat but light intensity. So choose wisely and buy it nice or buy it twice.

5. Nutrients - Nutes are often considered more important than they really are. At a molecular level plants have no idea where a molecule of nitrogen, phosphorus or potassium comes from. We as humans tend to prefer one method over another for various factors but in reality the plant doesn’t care or know any better. A good source of nutrients is good enough. Take care of the other factors and you’ll see much bigger improvements. Once the other factors have been address and are on point then you can mess with nutrients to find what works best for you.

This is of course just my opinion given my experience. The single biggest factor that helped me early on was the environment. And it’s often the most overlooked aspect of growing. That’s why I created The Growing Rack for home users. It sets up in minutes and has the ideal setup for growing plants indoors once you outfit it with proper ventilation and lights. Not trying to plug my own product but it was created to lower the bar for new would be growers. It takes the guesswork out of the grow space setup.

Some might disagree with the order I’ve got these in and my point in the post was to let you know environmental factors are vastly more important than things like nutrients or fancy lights. Get the environment in check and you’ll see huge improvements. Much more so than any other single factor in your grow.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
A quick tip on delarfing. You can remove bud sites without removing the fan leaves. Fan leaves are usually your first indication of problems. Once your fan leaves start to show stress you know adjustments need to be made.

However if things are on track and healthy next I like to remove fan leaves that are covering bud sites or restricting light penetration to those sites. This normally occurs on the top of the plant so they usually aren’t helping you diagnose issues. Sometimes you can tuck fan leaves instead of removing them but if you can’t do that then you can remove them most times without consequence.

I only do this in early flowering or in vegetative growth states. You don’t want to do it later in flowering as that will introduce stresss and redirect energy from thc and bud production to healing.

Ok that’s all I’ve got for now. You should have plenty of info from these posts to get on track and start banging out some decent smoke. Wether you choose to take the advice or not is up to you. I just hope it helps someone out there and if it does that’s good enough for me.

Erick31876

Erick31876

Imo the most important factors in any grow space are in this order:

1. Environment - Correct heat, humidity and air flow. You need fresh air coming in and old air exiting the space on a regular basis. I like to have enough air moving that the entire volume of air is exchanged 3-5x per minute.

Having the correct temp in your space is important because your plants need to transpire. That’s how they are able to soak up nutrients through their roots. Like humans, you can’t drink more water if you don’t pee or sweat out the moisture already in your system. Plants need to sweat so they can absorb more moisture and in turn nutrients are distributed through out the plant.

RH or relative humidity plays a role in this as well. If it’s too wet or humid they won’t be able to transpire correctly. If it’s too dry they’ll transpire too much and if your soil is full of rich nutrients that will cause your plants to burn.

2. Growing Medium - Any growing medium can be good or bad, depending on how you use it. Soil is more forgiving and hydro yields more material. A good growing medium is the foundation of your garden. Wether that be soil, coco or water. Utilize it correctly and you’ll be well on your way to great results.

3. Genetics - Once you’ve got the right environment for them to grow you need some decent genes to work with. Ones suited for your style of grow. If you don’t have much space then going with a 16+ week sativa isn’t a good idea. Grow strains that for your space.

4. Lights - Without ample lighting you’re not going to grow much of anything except for frustration. You don’t need state of the art lights but you do need the right spectrum and enough light to keep feeding your plant the energy they need to grow and flourish. LED lights need a higher temperature than HID lights. They can also easily burn plants not due to heat but light intensity. So choose wisely and buy it nice or buy it twice.

5. Nutrients - Nutes are often considered more important than they really are. At a molecular level plants have no idea where a molecule of nitrogen, phosphorus or potassium comes from. We as humans tend to prefer one method over another for various factors but in reality the plant doesn’t care or know any better. A good source of nutrients is good enough. Take care of the other factors and you’ll see much bigger improvements. Once the other factors have been address and are on point then you can mess with nutrients to find what works best for you.

This is of course just my opinion given my experience. The single biggest factor that helped me early on was the environment. And it’s often the most overlooked aspect of growing. That’s why I created The Growing Rack for home users. It sets up in minutes and has the ideal setup for growing plants indoors once you outfit it with proper ventilation and lights. Not trying to plug my own product but it was created to lower the bar for new would be growers. It takes the guesswork out of the grow space setup.

Some might disagree with the order I’ve got these in and my point in the post was to let you know environmental factors are vastly more important than things like nutrients or fancy lights. Get the environment in check and you’ll see huge improvements. Much more so than any other single factor in your grow.
They should sticky this. Moderators please stick this. This should be the first thing new growers should read. U wish I read this when i started.

715CREEKS

715CREEKS

Oh stop it guys. I’m starting to blush. Haha. I just like passing along info when I can to help folks when they need it. I do appreciate the kinds words though :)

Wow!
Thanks so much for all the info, I'm saving for my next attempt, it will really really help :)

I realised a while ago that I started them flowering too late, I need to keep a record next grow.
The other major problem is it's in a colder room as it's winter here now, i started in the wrong month.

The model of light is - VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W it's all I can afford atm.
It's about 30cm away from the plant with a fan blowing on the top.

I'm using DWC with an Oxypot with airstone.
I used Ionic Grow until I swapped to 12/12 cycle then Ionic Bloom at 7ml/10ltr.
A small dose 10ml of calmag every other week.

as you and @Erick31876 mentioned i will have a good delarfing session as soon as it stops raining and i can get to the plant, i have to go outside to get there and my wheelchair doesn't like rain so much!

If I could do more than like your reply I would! There should be a "really like" button! Thanks so much for your time dude it means a lot, time is a precious commodity.
I'll check out the product you mentioned.

@Erick31876
Major thanks to you too, strip lights will be gone!

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah that’s a 130w real power draw light. In that space you need more light.

If you had 2 of the 450w vispars then you’d be doing much better.

Or even better a 260w (or more) quantum board by HLG setup. That would be the bees knees imo. Very efficient and puts out a ton of light.

You could add some T-5 side lighting to help supplement what you’ve got. That might help some.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey,

I made a huge mistake on my first grow and was hoping for some help.
I'm growing Blue Dream CBD under 300w LED lights, I'm into the late stages of flowering and my plants aren't looking great.

I have been feeding with PK 13/14 weekly since putting the plant into flowering :( I now know this is wrong. Also it's very humid in my grow tent as it's in a cold room and gets condensation.
I'm using Ionic Bloom weekly and a small amount of CalMag.

Is there anything I can do to help/save this plant as it doesn't look great, or should I abandon and start again? Thanks for any help.View attachment 845645 View attachment 845646 View attachment 845647
You mentioned using pk13/14 since you initiated flowering. So how long since you flipped to flower and how many weeks have you consistently used the pk booster?

I have been using canna off and on forever and their pk 13/14 is highly concentrated and stronger than all get out. Plus you are only trying to target a one week time frame. On an 8 week strain I use it approx. 10-15 days after flower set/or flower induction and use it only for a 1 week period. It is designed for limited 1 time use. Not on a continual basis. When using in hydro I would feed one week then change my rez back to regular flower nutes after 1 week of pk use. My crops greatly improved and never again a burned gal.

In addition are your pots sitting right on the floor and what are your nighttime temps?

Use only half of their recommended dose because as I said it is ultra concentrated and will burn your gals. Been there done that. :( But if sequenced and timed correctly it will and does help the gals to get chunky.

Hope this helps.

PS not all strains like this . Get to know the strains you run to keep alert to the finicky ones when it comes to nutes, feeds and boosters /additives.

715CREEKS

715CREEKS

Yeah that’s a 130w real power draw light. In that space you need more light.

If you had 2 of the 450w vispars then you’d be doing much better.

Or even better a 260w (or more) quantum board by HLG setup. That would be the bees knees imo. Very efficient and puts out a ton of light.

You could add some T-5 side lighting to help supplement what you’ve got. That might help some.

Something to seriously consider.

I looked up the BioBizz starter kit are all the products suitable for hydro, it contains;

1 x 1000 ml Bio Grow
1x 1000 ml Bio Bloom
1x 500 ml Top Max
1x 250 ml Bio Heaven
1x 250 ml Root Juice

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Oh no sorry. I didn’t see you were doing hydro. I don’t do hydro myself. I’m sure there’s others on here who can suggest a more suitable nutrient line for that application.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Oh no sorry. I didn’t see you were doing hydro. I don’t do hydro myself. I’m sure there’s others on here who can suggest a more suitable nutrient line for that application.
I have great results with General Hydroponics trio. I add a little hydroguard, nothing else. Use at 1/2 to 3/4 recommended strength until you know what your plnts like, I got a little burn at full strength on mine.

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Forgot the most important ???? What is the average ambient temperature of the water coming from your rez to the plants???

715CREEKS

715CREEKS

@1diesel1 @Seraphine @JWM2 @Dan789 @DetGrnThumb

Sorry to tag you guys again but you saw my plant before.

I have just taken a video and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is time for me to harvest and what I should do?

Firstly, I know the plant doesn't look great and tbh, I can't wait to start again and take all the advice I have been given and do the seeds justice.

Some pistils are white still but a lot of them have browned off. There is some bud formation but it's not very dense.
View attachment 19thdec.mp4
Thanks for any help

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
You’re gonna have to check the tric heads under a 60x+ microscope. You can get small handheld ones on amazon for about -15. I have one with a light that’s (white or UV switchable).

KINGMAS Mini 60x Microscope Magnifying with LED UV Light Pocket Jewelry Magnifier Jeweler Loupe with 10X Folding Pocket Magnifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQAANDS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xsMgCbY7FWWW2

This is the one I have and it works great.

Dan789

Dan789

2002CAA5 AF52 4AEF AFF2 94F3F51B0968

I have just taken a video and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is time for me to harvest and what I should do?

Firstly, I know the plant doesn't look great and tbh, I can't wait to start again and take all the advice I have been given and do the seeds justice.

Some pistils are white still but a lot of them have browned off. There is some bud formation but it's not very dense.
View attachment 847624
Thanks for any help
No one can determine when it’s time to chop but you. Get a loop or one of the scopes mentioned. I bought one a few years back that hooks up to an old iPhone, that way you can see the trichomes yourself. Ideally you’ll want to see some amber and mostly white/ milky trichomes.
In the future normal light only for photos or videos, please (nothing to see with bluple light). Good luck
Apply everything you’ve learned to the next grow.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter

View attachment 847624
Thanks for any help
I don't mean to slam your grow. But hopefully you will take the info shared with you and use it on your next run. Cause those gurls don't look well at all. Again not being mean just being real.

When you get ready for your next run feel free to tag me or pm me and I will be glad to share some grower love with you. Just paying it forward......… :DPeace

Top Bottom