First Grow Question

• Thread starter TurdFerguson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson

Getting things set up for my first grow (Grand Daddy Purple and Cinderella 99), and would like to use smart pots. I only want to transplant once, so I need to know what size smart pots I need to get, 5 gal, 7 gal, 10gal, etc. I appreciate the help and suggestions.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
5 gal will peak out at about 5’ depending on strain and soil etc I can grow a 10’ plant in 2 gals but it will be shit for yields. Everything is complimentary to its grow conditions, but if small is where u need to be, 5, 10 is over kill in tent , 7 is a good in between

TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson

5 gal will peak out at about 5’ depending on strain and soil etc I can grow a 10’ plant in 2 gals but it will be shit for yields. Everything is complimentary to its grow conditions, but if small is where u need to be, 5, 10 is over kill in tent , 7 is a good in between
Thank you! Also, at what point should I transplant the seedlings?

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Usually when they have about 3-4 sets of leaves and the roots looks like they are almost costing the entire cup shape, solo cups just support plant flip upside down and you can peak roots.

TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson

Usually when they have about 3-4 sets of leaves and the roots looks like they are almost costing the entire cup shape, solo cups just support plant flip upside down and you can peak roots.
Thanks, Jack!

Skunked

Skunked

Sorry how many lights and plants? Are you trying to run multiple strains? I may have mislead you then and 5 gals would probably be perfect but if you're not doing more than 4 or 5 I'd say fudge it and go 10
I am looking at a tent 48x48x80.[/QUOTE

Reactions: Ina
jkpaw

jkpaw

I'm pretty new myself -- preparing for my 4th grow now -- but I've been trending down in size. I had been using hard pots that were a bit larger than five gal, but last time I added smaller fabric pots for comparison. (They were advertised as 5 gal, but really they seemed closer to 3 1/2.) I loved using them, and plant size/yield was just as good as the larger ones. Next time I will only use the fabric containers.

The thing is, the longer and bigger you go, the more unwieldy everything gets. Harder to keep a close eye on everything -- which is essential while you're still learning what to look for. By keeping to a modest schedule (e.g. 4 weeks grow plus 60 days or whatever your strains need for flowering) you're minimizing complications -- and you'll still get plenty of great quality bud. Don't fall for the hype that bigness equals quality. Bigness can be a pain in the ass.

I also don't think I've suffered by going straight from dixie cups to 5 gallons. I kind of tried to imagine root size while watering, so during the first couple of weeks after transplanting I gradually moved from watering less -- just around the plant -- to watering the whole pot. Seems to work well, but, as I say, I still have a lot to learn.

TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson

Being as this will be my first grow, I am just doing one plant to keep things simple and to see if I am any good at this. Also, my paranoia told me that one plant can easily be gotten rid of if shit hits the fan.

TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson

Sorry how many lights and plants? Are you trying to run multiple strains? I may have mislead you then and 5 gals would probably be perfect but if you're not doing more than 4 or 5 I'd say fudge it and go 10
I am doing one plant and will be using either 600W or 1000W LED’s.

Monster762

Monster762

These are photoperiods? And feminized or female clones?
Just don’t want you growing out a monster to have balls all over it. I didn’t see where it said your plant/ seed was from and if fem or not. I just saw 1 plant in tent.

TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson

Just don’t want you growing out a monster to have balls all over it. I didn’t see where it said your plant/ seed was from and if fem or not. I just saw 1 plant in tent.
Still trying to decide on strain (I don’t partake, growing medicine for my daughter), but it will be feminized and photoperiod. I want a short to medium height plant, though.

Skunked

Skunked

Honestly if you want to do one plant in a 4x4 you should go even. Bigger w your pot. I'll tell you a few things to do over time to fill your space accordingly, looking into something like a 30-50 gal man...it'll be worth it. If you can get a pot that wider rather than taller too you'll benefit as well...with the right mix and time you can plant directly into it. It's organic, hopefully.

Reactions: Ina
Top Bottom