First Grow Setup

• Thread starter Koltivation
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WattSaver

WattSaver

Quick question , my plants are currently 12 days old (only counting days since moved under light) and everytime I water them I don’t give then a measured amount of water i just spray each like 5 times to keep the top of the soil moist. Should i continue just only spraying them until i transplant ? Or give them a measured amount and just spray a couple times throught the days to keep the leaves moist?

The one thing you don't want to do is over water, which is the biggest problem a new grower can have. Let your solo cups dry out, not bone dry but almost. This will promote root growth and expansion. I just started seeds in cups myself and it's been 4 days since they broke the surface and I haven't watered them. The cups are still heavy. You'll find that after about 2 wks no more than 3 wks in the cup they should be root bound and ready to transplant and they will have used up all the nutes in the foxfarm soil. If you plan on mainlineing your veg time will be longer could be up to 8 weeks. I'd recommend getting a good veg cycle nute. I like a 1-1-1 NPK ratio but have gone as N heavy as 15-9-12 (1.5-.9-1.2) so still close to a 1-1-1. Be sure it has the basic 14 micro-nutes included. You don't need the brightly colored bottles, Jacks Classic is better than most of those bottles.

If you are going to grow in soil and only using 3 gal pots don't expect huge plants. Most wining main line projects are in 10 to 20 gallon containers. If I were you using what you have I"d just top once as Terpy said above the 3rd real node, and get them into flower sooner.

Koltivation

Koltivation

The one thing you don't want to do is over water, which is the biggest problem a new grower can have. Let your solo cups dry out, not bone dry but almost. This will promote root growth and expansion. I just started seeds in cups myself and it's been 4 days since they broke the surface and I haven't watered them. The cups are still heavy. You'll find that after about 2 wks no more than 3 wks in the cup they should be root bound and ready to transplant and they will have used up all the nutes in the foxfarm soil. If you plan on mainlineing your veg time will be longer could be up to 8 weeks. I'd recommend getting a good veg cycle nute. I like a 1-1-1 NPK ratio but have gone as N heavy as 15-9-12 (1.5-.9-1.2) so still close to a 1-1-1. Be sure it has the basic 14 micro-nutes included. You don't need the brightly colored bottles, Jacks Classic is better than most of those bottles.

If you are going to grow in soil and only using 3 gal pots don't expect huge plants. Most wining main line projects are in 10 to 20 gallon containers. If I were you using what you have I"d just top once as Terpy said above the 3rd real node, and get them into flower sooner.
Yeah I was thinking about not mainlining because it adds some more time to the veg stage so I think I will just grow it normally and probably do some topping and bending, what type of nutes are you using ? I currently have fox farm trio and fox farm kangaroots but planning to only use the trio on my first run. How many nodes should my plant have before I transplant?

WattSaver

WattSaver

You'll have 2 or 3 nodes going. I don't like to add any nutes to seedlings, so my transplant time is based on the amount of food in the soil. Once you notice that the leaf green getting slightly lighter transplant. I't best to transplant when the cup is dry it will stay together alot better.
I notice that your cups aren't in a drip tray. Do you have drain holes in the bottom? If not put some in now or else you'll get root rot.
There are lots of good nutes out there just make sure they have the micro nutes.
You don't want to know what I use because they don't follow the preconceived convention that all growers say you have to do.
I use a blend of Osmocote control release products in hempy buckets. So all I have to do is add ph corrected water.

Koltivation

Koltivation

You'll have 2 or 3 nodes going. I don't like to add any nutes to seedlings, so my transplant time is based on the amount of food in the soil. Once you notice that the leaf green getting slightly lighter transplant. I't best to transplant when the cup is dry it will stay together alot better.
I notice that your cups aren't in a drip tray. Do you have drain holes in the bottom? If not put some in now or else you'll get root rot.
There are lots of good nutes out there just make sure they have the micro nutes.
You don't want to know what I use because they don't follow the preconceived convention that all growers say you have to do.
I use a blend of Osmocote control release products in hempy buckets. So all I have to do is add ph corrected water.
Oh okay thank you ! And yes i have 3 holes in the bottom of each cup. They have been in the cups for about 15 days now . When i water should i just pour water into the cup out of like a measuring cup or something ? Because I have only been using a spray bottle to keep the top of the soil moist and eventually drip down throughout it so I really haven’t noticed much drainage at all.

WattSaver

WattSaver

I saturate them, most of the time from the top to where I get some run off out the bottom, then it will be several days till I water again. Other times in cups I'll just pour in 1/4" of water into the drip tray and let them suck it up. The only bad thing you can do is over water them.

Koltivation

Koltivation

Circled the white spots , what exactly is this ? Or am i overreacting
Does anyone know what this is ? I seen another little white dot on my leaf and it seems to wipe off , is it mildew ? My humidity is usually around 70% and temperature 72-77

Koltivation

Koltivation

Transplanted my plants into a 3g pot yesterday , watered them each around 5 fl oz each pouring by stem and then circling around .

CFC15488 966E 4FEB 91C7 854FCACCC446
Koltivation

Koltivation

They are currently 30 inches from the LED Light sitting in 60% humidity and 72% temperature . Does anyone have any recommendations on what i should buy to put under the 3g pots to collect runoff ? Currently just have paper plates there temporarily but i need something better.

Monster762

Monster762

Ok you got babies there. So water lightly. Spray bottle is good. What light? I kinda skipped that. From looks of it you can mist leaves n all in that light. Do you have fan keeping airflow across plants? Light breeze just enough to wiggle em. And neem oil will kill any chance of mold or fungus and deter bugs. I’d mix kinda weak with the babies though.

Koltivation

Koltivation

Ok you got babies there. So water lightly. Spray bottle is good. What light? I kinda skipped that. From looks of it you can mist leaves n all in that light. Do you have fan keeping airflow across plants? Light breeze just enough to wiggle em. And neem oil will kill any chance of mold or fungus and deter bugs. I’d mix kinda weak with the babies though.
Yes i have 2 fans in there , and also 2 1200w vipar spectras one on each side , growing 2 other strains on the other side. And ok i should just stick to spray bottle for now right ? I was thinking that but I wasn’t sure .

Monster762

Monster762

Yes i have 2 fans in there , and also 2 1200w vipar spectras one on each side , growing 2 other strains on the other side. And ok i should just stick to spray bottle for now right ? I was thinking that but I wasn’t sure .
Yeah spray bottle good. Just wet the soil down good with it.

Madmax

Madmax

They are currently 30 inches from the LED Light sitting in 60% humidity and 72% temperature . Does anyone have any recommendations on what i should buy to put under the 3g pots to collect runoff ? Currently just have paper plates there temporarily but i need something better.
This should give you an idea
Screenshot 20181020 023111

Koltivation

Koltivation

Drip tray installed , will take a measurement of the distance between LED and plants later

8DF0BBE5 84E7 408C 8BD4 BB072C50D4C8
Madmax

Madmax

Nice..they look like propper grills to keep smart pot off the tray...you can throw someting under tray at rear so all runoff can b collected at front.doesnt need to be that much .like 10mm is plenty..long as your floor is level..can test your runoff with it all at the front....you can then use a small wet vac or similar to suck up the nutrients....later you could up grade to rhizo pots if height and money is pemitting ,they are a plastic stand and have pvc T or L type fittings at bottom and can join them all together to collect the runoff into a reservior...you would have to have them off the ground somewhat...

P

Pass2TheLeft

Nice..they look like propper grills to keep smart pot off the tray...you can throw someting under tray at rear so all runoff can b collected at front.doesnt need to be that much .like 10mm is plenty..long as your floor is level..can test your runoff with it all at the front....you can then use a small wet vac or similar to suck up the nutrients....later you could up grade to rhizo pots if height and money is pemitting ,they are a plastic stand and have pvc T or L type fittings at bottom and can join them all together to collect the runoff into a reservior...you would have to have them off the ground somewhat...
Thats such a great idea a wet and dry vac to suck up run off.simply brillant;)

Madmax

Madmax

Pretty cool hey and keeping things simple...I picked it up through reading posts on here..
Gotta share the good info and help each other. ;)

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Add 2 oscillating fans s on opposite sides to increase the air movement , more relevant at flower then now. 18” ones are sufficient for air movement.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Circled the white spots , what exactly is this ? Or am i overreacting
Nothing much to worry bro. Looks like spilled water or nutes. That dried.
Add some sticky traps at near r plant level and few above top of canopy by lights. This will keep track of critters if they get in and help ya id pests faster

Latest posts

Top Bottom