First Grow. Very Basic

• Thread starter brian77
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FatManatee

FatManatee

WOW. That looks amazing. It's the patience that is the hard part. Think because it's my first real attempt!
Watering is a bit.confusing also. People are saying, let the soil dry out (about 4/5 days) then feed about 2 litres. Others are saying smaller amounts more regularly? ???

Watering is the most difficult part to nail perfectly, it took me a full 4 grows to get this right. There is definitely no straight answer to this, and only experience can teach you.

If someone has told you that it takes 4-5 days to dry out, this is pretty bad information. Depending on the pot, and its size. It can take you anywhere from 12 hours to 2 weeks for the pots to dry out (not to mention the lights, and the amount of heat they produce).

For me, I'm using 17l smartpots, at the beginning of veg, I water once per week, most of the flower I water every 2-3 days, and at the end of flower it might be once per day.

You definitely don't want the pots to fully dry out, as it will kill your beneficial soil bacteria and fungi. However overwatering can be even worse, as the plants cant breath oxygen through their roots, if they're always saturated with water.

It's better to have the plants wilting from time to time, then water, rather then overwatering. However once you know when your plants start wilting because of drought, you can just water a few hours before that time to prevent it, and keep your soil alive ;)

brian77

brian77

Watering is the most difficult part to nail perfectly, it took me a full 4 grows to get this right. There is definitely no straight answer to this, and only experience can teach you.

If someone has told you that it takes 4-5 days to dry out, this is pretty bad information. Depending on the pot, and its size. It can take you anywhere from 12 hours to 2 weeks for the pots to dry out (not to mention the lights, and the amount of heat they produce).

For me, I'm using 17l smartpots, at the beginning of veg, I water once per week, most of the flower I water every 2-3 days, and at the end of flower it might be once per day.

You definitely don't want the pots to fully dry out, as it will kill your beneficial soil bacteria and fungi. However overwatering can be even worse, as the plants cant breath oxygen through their roots, if they're always saturated with water.

It's better to have the plants wilting from time to time, then water, rather then overwatering. However once you know when your plants start wilting because of drought, you can just water a few hours before that time to prevent it, and keep your soil alive ;)
Great info pal! I defo haven't over watered, although it's so tempting. I'm sure.you remember your firrest grow, hard to.leave it alone! I've about a 10 ltr max pot. How much water would you recommend each feed?

FatManatee

FatManatee

Great info pal! I defo haven't over watered, although it's so tempting. I'm sure.you remember your firrest grow, hard to.leave it alone! I've about a 10 ltr max pot. How much water would you recommend each feed?

Just water until you get 30% runoff, from what you are putting in. This way you will prevent nutrient and salt buildups, which can lead to many issues like nutrient lockout.

brian77

brian77

Just water until you get 30% runoff, from what you are putting in. This way you will prevent nutrient and salt buildups, which can lead to many issues like nutrient lockout.
Thanks you so much. ...

FatManatee

FatManatee

Coming along well. I think it is starting to flower. Should I do anything extra now, nutrients or lights?
I would just keep feeding grow nutrients until proper budlets have formed. Once the budlets have formed, the plants will be able to use more light as well, depending on your current distance, you might be able to move the light even closer to the buds.

brian77

brian77

I would just keep feeding grow nutrients until proper budlets have formed. Once the budlets have formed, the plants will be able to use more light as well, depending on your current distance, you might be able to move the light even closer to the buds.
Thanks. I can move the lights so that a bonus. I'll post again when it develops a bit more and ask for more advice if that's ok?

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I totally agree, for your first couple of grows i would let the plant grow on its own except for topping it. If you try any advanced techniques you will hurt your yield. I tried mainlining a plant on my first grow and didn't even get an ounce. Another plant of 5he same strain and genetics in the same run i let grow naturally i got over 3 ounces from. Needless to say for my next couple of runs i judt let them grow naturally except for maybe topping them once or twice. It really helped me learn about how they grow and made me get a lot better at growing
I’m getting into bending main shoot good (but no snap) a couple of times during veg gives me a fairly even plant while not sacrificing that main.
Also for the OP
Led bulbs marketed for growin aren’t any better than the house hold ones IMO. Sometimes worse. I’m using some 9 and 15 watt bulbs with the globe pooped off. Just but a socket splitter off Amazon (you can get 3 way, 4,5 etc. I’m usin 2 7 way splitters. Bulbs are 2700 and 5000 k. I have not one complaint and have a nice spectrum. cost 40 bucks to set up 150 watts of led bulbs. I can just use one at 75 watts or unscrew bulbs to fine tune. I will post a pic

London bud

London bud

Looking good mate, you got it sussed now.
I've had marks on my leaves like the ones you pictured. Im Not sure what it is, magnesium def maybe? But it didn't spread or cause problem, they appeared when the plant began flowering aswel, I think it's where the flowers need something and they're taking it from elsewhere in the plant. Get ready to switch to a bloom Feed soon id say n start slowing down on the veg mix now

brian77

brian77

Looking good mate, you got it sussed now.
I've had marks on my leaves like the ones you pictured. Im Not sure what it is, magnesium def maybe? But it didn't spread or cause problem, they appeared when the plant began flowering aswel, I think it's where the flowers need something and they're taking it from elsewhere in the plant. Get ready to switch to a bloom Feed soon id say n start slowing down on the veg mix now
Cheers. Feeding time now! Going to put a little bloom Feed and gradually build it up. More pistols today, really happy how it's going! Thanks

FatManatee

FatManatee

Ta. The soil is quite heavy. I'll let it dry for about 5 days and test it from there.I'll weigh it so I'll know when exactly to do it.

To get my watering schedule correct with each grow, I do not water until the plants start wilting. Once that happens, I know the soil is dry for sure. Then I just shorten the time to water by 12-24 hours from that time to avoid wilting in the future.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

That splitter is genius. I've ordered one. Cheers
If your handy, Drill holes in a 2x4 or whatever and wire a socket every say 6inches. Then you got a nice bar for even coverage. I’m wanting to do that next, but I suck at finding tools in the winter lol. And not much of an electrician.. but I think you could wire them all together and even rig them to a bar with a fuse or whatever if your captain safety

brian77

brian77

If your handy, Drill holes in a 2x4 or whatever and wire a socket every say 6inches. Then you got a nice bar for even coverage. I’m wanting to do that next, but I suck at finding tools in the winter lol. And not much of an electrician.. but I think you could wire them all together and even rig them to a bar with a fuse or whatever if your captain safety
I've 3 table lamps stripped down and hung upside down from the rail in a wardrobe. It's a very novice set up but it's working. I've a 4 way extension cord coming through a hole i cut out in the back of the wardrobe! It looks very weird but good. All a bit of fun. Using common sense mostly on how and what a plant would need to thrive. In the last 8 days the plant has almost doubled in height and is going well. I've only 3 led bulbs on it. Bought a 3 way splitter tonight, so will finish it with 5 bulbs altogether. Really enjoying this experience. This forum is great
Screenshot 2019 01 23 23 24 50
Screenshot 2019 01 23 23 24 50

brian77

brian77

I've 3 table lamps stripped down and hung upside down from the rail in a wardrobe. It's a very novice set up but it's working. I've a 4 way extension cord coming through a hole i cut out in the back of the wardrobe! It looks very weird but good. All a bit of fun. Using common sense mostly on how and what a plant would need to thrive. In the last 8 days the plant has almost doubled in height and is going well. I've only 3 led bulbs on it. Bought a 3 way splitter tonight, so will finish it with 5 bulbs altogether. Really enjoying this experience. This forum is greatView attachment 853286 View attachment 853286
Oh,,,this in total has cost me £8 :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom