First Grow

• Thread starter Meakanu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Meakanu

Meakanu

hope it's ok if I start a thread here on my first grow. I know I should be keeping a log anyway and figure if I do it here then I could get plenty feed back. Please feel free to make suggestions and correct me as I'm very new to this.

Meakanu

Meakanu

Right now my plants are 27 days old from seed. Photo was taken on day 25.
Received a pack of three Humboldt Legacy OG Fem seeds. Germinated using wet paper towel method. 36 hours later I unfolded paper towel and all three had germanated but one had a broken tap root. I planted all three in da red cups and two days later out they came.
After about a week I noticed the one with the broke tap root was growing much faster then the other two. Weird?
Around week two I noticed the roots were coming out of the bottoms of the red cups so I transplanted them up. They showed zero signs of shock from the transplant.
On day 18 all three were showing 5 nodes so I topped them. Started seeing new brotha about 3 days later.
On day 22 I opened up my super soil that I had been cooking for about 5 weeks. Filled my ten gallon pots and transplanted all three. The SS stunk like piss and I couldn't help but think somthing wasent right. After some research I realized my soil didn't get enough oxygen and went anaerobic! So with much regret I pulled my ladies back out of the 10 gallon pots and put them back into there original 2 gallon pots. I spread I tarp out and dumped and spread the SS to dry in the sun. I left it in the sun all day and racked it many times. Then threw it all in a large bin with a lid for 3 days when I opened the bin it smelled like normal soil!
On day 25 my lady's went back into the 10 gallon pots with the Super soil. I fed them for the first time with a mix of sea kelp and fermented fish fertilizer at 50% strength. Then covered top of soil with that Natx stuff in a effort to prevent fungus nats.
That pretty much catches us up.

IMG 6127
IMG 6128
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

hope it's ok if I start a thread here on my first grow. I know I should be keeping a log anyway and figure if I do it here then I could get plenty feed back. Please feel free to make suggestions and correct me as I'm very new to this.
How you doing brother?
We all once was a newbie!
You posted in the right place.
Welcome to the farm!

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Today is day 27 and I think it's time to top again.
Yesterday I saw what I think was a thrip on one of my plants ( see photo ) so I'm planning on spraying all three and I'll probably top them tonight.
What kind of led you using?
Are you sucking in fresh air to your room?
Whats your temps and rh.

Meakanu

Meakanu

What kind of led you using?
Are you sucking in fresh air to your room?
Whats your temps and rh.
I have two Mars Hydro 720 reflectors. Currently just running one of them.

Yes and no to the air intake. I haven't had a chance to install the intake vent because I'm waiting on a filter for it. But my drain table 3/4" run off pipe runs out of the room and allows some fresh air and I'm in and out often.
Temps have been between 65* to 80* I'd like to keep them more consistent but still trying to dail that in. Humidity has stayed between 50%-75% but usually right around 50%. I'm going to be picking up a dehumidifier soon because I expect my RH to rise as the plants get bigger.

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Yes and no to the air intake. I haven't had a chance to install the intake vent because I'm waiting on a filter for it. But my drain table 3/4" run off pipe runs out of the room and allows some fresh air and I'm in and out often.
Temps have been between 65* to 80* I'd like to keep them more consistent but still trying to dail that in. Humidity has stayed between 50%-75% but usually right around 50%. I'm going to be picking up a dehumidifier soon because I expect my RH to rise as the plants get bigger.

Plants and set up are looking really good my friend (thumbs up) def get air circulation set up tho I'm sure once that's done managing your temps and humidity will b a lot easier but where your at. Ow isn't bad those numbers are pretty good to work with. Good vibes your way

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Your making a few mistakes here brother..
IMO WHICH MEANS IN MY OPINION...
you need to back them lights off to 3 foot above the plant top canopy.
Im concerned that you are not getting enough c02 in there.
The plants are suffering from what is called miniaturization.
Which is usually caused by the light being too intense..
Im sure you know that mars hydro light are lower quality,
because of that ive noticed a few mars owners saying they had to back the light off the plant during veg, esp early veg...
Also I WOULD NOT top them plants as you need to get them healthy.
As for your space, your groom.
I like it and it will be excellent moving forward.
If i was you I would work towards getting a c02 valve $50
and a co2 controller $ 300
and completely sealing that room up.
That Ac will cool them lights and that room easy!
Also try not to let your temps drop under 70
the higher temps in veg (low 80's) is fine.
After week 3 of flower is when you want to drop them to 75 to 77
rh in veg is fine 50 to 75% I run 65 to 70% rh in veg and 60% thru flower till week 7 then i drop rh to 55 week 8, and 50 week 9.

I would also toss the soil and go either coco, or rdwc...
I think these plants are so stunted,
that i would start some news ones in something other than super soil...
JUST MY OPINION HOMIE...
Welcome to the farm!

Meakanu

Meakanu

Your making a few mistakes here brother..
IMO WHICH MEANS IN MY OPINION...
you need to back them lights off to 3 foot above the plant top canopy.
Im concerned that you are not getting enough c02 in there.
The plants are suffering from what is called miniaturization.
Which is usually caused by the light being too intense..
Im sure you know that mars hydro light are lower quality,
because of that ive noticed a few mars owners saying they had to back the light off the plant during veg, esp early veg...
Also I WOULD NOT top them plants as you need to get them healthy.
As for your space, your groom.
I like it and it will be excellent moving forward.
If i was you I would work towards getting a c02 valve $50
and a co2 controller $ 300
and completely sealing that room up.
That Ac will cool them lights and that room easy!
Also try not to let your temps drop under 70
the higher temps in veg (low 80's) is fine.
After week 3 of flower is when you want to drop them to 75 to 77
rh in veg is fine 50 to 75% I run 65 to 70% rh in veg and 60% thru flower till week 7 then i drop rh to 55 week 8, and 50 week 9.

I would also toss the soil and go either coco, or rdwc...
I think these plants are so stunted,
that i would start some news ones in something other than super soil...
JUST MY OPINION HOMIE...
Welcome to the farm!

As much as I don't like hearing this, I'm glad to hear it so I can take the appropriate action. Thank you for taking the time to give me your oppionion bro!

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

As much as I don't like hearing this, I'm glad to hear it so I can take the appropriate action. Thank you for taking the time to give me your oppionion bro!
no problem homie...
If it makes it any better,
every mf'er here including me made similar are the same mistakes!
But you should feel good because you actually have a good setup started,
and thats 75% of growing!
The best thing you could do right now is
RAISE THE LIGHT.
And Then i would either learn about coco
or rdwc....
And that was a good response...
you have hope, and Im pretty sure by this time next year,
you will know enough to grow on your own with out help..

Last edited:
Meakanu

Meakanu

no problem homie...
If it makes it any better,
every mf'er here including me made similar are the same mistakes!
But you should feel good because you actually have a good setup started,
and thats 75% of growing!
The best thing you could do right now is
RAISE THE LIGHT.
And Then i would either learn about coco
or rdwc....
And that was a good response...
you have hope, and Im pretty sure by this time next year,
you will know enough to grow on your own with out help..

Just raised da lights.
Mahalo, thank you

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Meakanu

Meakanu

Day 28.
After taking EventHorizan's advice and raising my light up to 3ft my plants are already showing improvement!!

Yesterday I sprayed each plant down with a insecticide and today I can't find any thrips on any of them.

I have a few questions that I'd like to ask.

I am planning on putting these plants in SCROG, after reading up on the link EventHorizan suggested I'm under the impression that I shouldn't top the plant anymore? And instead just tuck and weive them into the SCROG, and each node with create a new top as I go?
I've been using the finger technique checking the soil to know when to water but now that I've added the gnatnix, it makes that technique difficult. Any advice?
Lastly I've noticed some damage on some of my lower fan leaves, it's being caused by the leave rubbing on the gnatnix when the fan hits them. Should I trim these lower fan leave off?

IMG 6157
IMG 6159
Meakanu

Meakanu

Also I started a batch of fish Hydrolysate yesterday and moved it into my grow room to ferment. I figure the CO2 released from the fermentation process should help a little.

IMG 6156
IMG 6158
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Day 28.
After taking EventHorizan's advice and raising my light up to 3ft my plants are already showing improvement!!

Yesterday I sprayed each plant down with a insecticide and today I can't find any thrips on any of them.

I have a few questions that I'd like to ask.

I am planning on putting these plants in SCROG, after reading up on the link EventHorizan suggested I'm under the impression that I shouldn't top the plant anymore? And instead just tuck and weive them into the SCROG, and each node with create a new top as I go?
I've been using the finger technique checking the soil to know when to water but now that I've added the gnatnix, it makes that technique difficult. Any advice?
Lastly I've noticed some damage on some of my lower fan leaves, it's being caused by the leave rubbing on the gnatnix when the fan hits them. Should I trim these lower fan leave off?
I didnt say not to top ever again.
I meant dont top till we get them healthy...
I would just leave them alone and let them grow all week!
Fri we look at them and see how they look.
Do water them just not nothing else...

Meakanu

Meakanu

I didnt say not to top ever again.
I meant dont top till we get them healthy...
I would just leave them alone and let them grow all week!
Fri we look at them and see how they look.
Do water them just not nothing else...
Gotcha bro, I thought I might have misunderstood that.
Should I trim the lower fan leave that are getting damaged by rubbing on the gnatnix?
Thank you for the grate advise! I'm very greatfull!

Top Bottom