First Time Coco Grower Question About Hydrating The Brick

• Thread starter Naturalx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Recharge benefits off Wikipedia

A. nodosum
is harvested for use in alginates, fertilisers, and the manufacture of seaweed meal for animal and human consumption.[23]It has long been used as an organic and mainstream fertilizer for many varieties of crops due to its combination of both macronutrients, (N, P, and K) and micronutrients (Ca, Mg, S, Mn, Cu, Fe, Zn, etc.). It also contains cytokinins, auxin-like gibberellins, betaines, mannitol, organic acids, polysaccharides, amino acids, and proteins which are all very beneficial and widely used in agriculture

Naturalx

Naturalx

How long do you suggest buffering coco? I have 150% dose buffering my entire batch right now in water at ph 6.0. How long should I let this soak? I didn't expect my seeds to germinate in 48 hours but 3/4 have so I really want to pop them in and get my grow started but I just started my soak almost 5 hours ago. How long would you recommend soaking for? I'm trying to search online but finding no guidelines on the actual soak times.

newh

newh

How long do you suggest buffering coco? I have 150% dose buffering my entire batch right now in water at ph 6.0. How long should I let this soak? I didn't expect my seeds to germinate in 48 hours but 3/4 have so I really want to pop them in and get my grow started but I just started my soak almost 5 hours ago. How long would you recommend soaking for? I'm trying to search online but finding no guidelines on the actual soak times.
what coco are you using?the good brands are already buffered with calcium carbonate

Naturalx

Naturalx

what coco are you using?the good brands are already buffered with calcium carbonate
I am using a crap unbuffered kind off of amazon. I didn't know coco had to be buffered, so when I put everything together I just searched coco on amazon bought a 5kg brick. Thought I just had to soak and fill the pots lol. Lesson learned. So now I have no clue how long to let this soak for, do I rinse it after soaking it? Blah lol.

newh

newh

I am using a crap unbuffered kind off of amazon. I didn't know coco had to be buffered, so when I put everything together I just searched coco on amazon bought a 5kg brick. Thought I just had to soak and fill the pots lol. Lesson learned. So now I have no clue how long to let this soak for, do I rinse it after soaking it? Blah lol.
you need to check the run off water for high ppm if its crappy coco

Naturalx

Naturalx

it says its washed you should be good.what did you put in the water when you rehydrated it?
Tap water to rehydrate, Then I let it dry up, as I did this early in the week. I rinsed the hell out of it too. Then today 5 hours ago I put it all together with 5 gallons of water, and and 150% dose of cal-mag. Just don't know how long I need to let it soak for.

There's a youtube channel where a guy says he soaks it for 8 hours, then soaks it again in a new solution for another 8 hours. Which seems excessive. There's a web post that states 15 minutes is good enough as the absorption rate drastically slows down so it's not worth the time spent.

Should I rinse this buffer solution out before planting my germinated seedlings?

newh

newh

Tap water to rehydrate, Then I let it dry up, as I did this early in the week. I rinsed the hell out of it too. Then today 5 hours ago I put it all together with 5 gallons of water, and and 150% dose of cal-mag. Just don't know how long I need to let it soak for.

There's a youtube channel where a guy says he soaks it for 8 hours, then soaks it again in a new solution for another 8 hours. Which seems excessive. There's a web post that states 15 minutes is good enough as the absorption rate drastically slows down so it's not worth the time spent.

Should I rinse this buffer solution out before planting my germinated seedlings?
its hard to say where your ppm is at ,you dont want to fry your babies

newh

newh

I'm reducing the ppm by soaking in the cal-mag correct?
if the coco isnt rinsed well by the manufacturer there is extra salt,thats some of the ppm,then you added nutrients thats more ppm,too much of either will mess with your babies

Naturalx

Naturalx

if the coco isnt rinsed well by the manufacturer there is extra salt,thats some of the ppm,then you added nutrients thats more ppm,too much of either will mess with your babies
Well fuck haha. I mean I rinsed it for hours, I know it for sure got a very very good rinse. Small batches, rinsed and rinsed and rinsed through a strainer.

newh

newh

Well fuck haha. I mean I rinsed it for hours, I know it for sure got a very very good rinse. Small batches, rinsed and rinsed and rinsed through a strainer.
your probably good,what nutrients you using?

A NewPhase

A NewPhase

you need to check the run off water for high ppm if its crappy coco

This is all about “preparing” the
Coco,right ? Once its where you want it, its more about supplying nutrs to the plant.

I dont mean to derail this thread, but will i always be checking run off ?

newh

newh

This is all about “preparing” the
Coco,right ? Once its where you want it, its more about supplying nutrs to the plant.

I dont mean to derail this thread, but will i always be checking run off ?
its good to be checking runoff ph and ppms as your learning how to grow in coco so you get a feel for what goes on,once you get a good routine going for yourself checking isnt as important.Mostly I only check runoff ph now

Top Bottom