First Time Going Hydro. Suggestions Needed

• Thread starter Palmettoman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Palmettoman

Palmettoman

So I just flipped my soil room and got all my clones. I have a small hydro setup I want to try next month, when I say small I mean. 4 one gallon dwc setup just to get the hang of things and then upgrade from there. I have my hydro nutrients on the way along with hydrguard. I know I need to keep the water temp as close to 70 degrees as possible. Is there anything else I need to buy or need to know to have a good grow? Thanks

S

Simplicio

So I just flipped my soil room and got all my clones. I have a small hydro setup I want to try next month, when I say small I mean. 4 one gallon dwc setup just to get the hang of things and then upgrade from there. I have my hydro nutrients on the way along with hydrguard. I know I need to keep the water temp as close to 70 degrees as possible. Is there anything else I need to buy or need to know to have a good grow? Thanks
pH meter
ppm pen
pH Up
pH Dn

feed 1/4 to 1/2 the nute pushers' recommendations
google Vapor Pressure Deficit

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Is it possible to go for 3 gals bro? Cause that 1gal will fill with roots so fast you will have nothing but issues

Palmettoman

Palmettoman

Is it possible to go for 3 gals bro? Cause that 1gal will fill with roots so fast you will have nothing but issues
Only gonna veg for 2 weeks. Like I said I’m only going to do a test run with these then going to 5 gallon

Palmettoman

Palmettoman

In flip the roots quadruple. Do you think there maybe enough space? I’ve tried and failed hence why I recommend a larger pot off that bat and they ain’t expensive bro, about $32 each ish.
That’s why I’m open to suggestions. I have plenty of space. I’ll just get some 5 gallon then

NGA

NGA

Yes or flip at first sign of green growth ,I've done lots of that stuff many years ago 4-5- days veg ,3-4 foot plant when done ,2 1/2 gallon buckets

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Yes or flip at first sign of green growth ,I've done lots of that stuff many years ago 4-5- days veg ,3-4 foot plant when done ,2 1/2 gallon buckets
2-3 gal is about the minimum size to go, 1gal would be ifffy and prone to lots of issues

Palmettoman

Palmettoman

What kind of results did you get from that? I’ve never flipped that early

NGA

NGA

Let's just say all the buds where 2 grams plus upwards 3 1/2 grams ,

Jhax

Jhax

So is 5 gal the best sizr for the plants? Feel like 10 gal per would be more room for roots.

Palmettoman

Palmettoman

So is 5 gal the best sizr for the plants? Feel like 10 gal per would be more room for roots.
Most guys I’ve seen on research is 5 gallons. Think that’s pretty much the standard with deep water

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
If you arent recirculating it take a page from salt water aquariums. The smaller your rez is the bigger the problems can be like PH swing ect. 10 gal might swing .2-.3 over a couple days. 1 gal might swing a whole point or 2. Same thing with PPM and nute ratios. Can be done but being a newer grower a bigger rez will keep things more stable and make your life easier. Also keep the temp a lot more stable. I wouldn't go anything smaller then 5 gals. That's kind of the bare min standard for single site dwc buckets. Not to mention 5 gals are pretty easy to find from multi places.

S

Shawnery

It would help at the very least to paint the buckets flat white to help combat heat issues.

Are you planning on running kratky method because if not I haven't heard air stones or air pump mentioned.

straincreation

straincreation

pH meter
ppm pen
pH Up
pH Dn

feed 1/4 to 1/2 the nute pushers' recommendations
google Vapor Pressure Deficit
When you say pushers are you referring to additives, and supplements? Or base aswell?

S

Simplicio

When you say pushers are you referring to additives, and supplements? Or base aswell?

Most nute companies recommend too much base nutes.
Some of us believe that nothing else is needed except base nutes and maybe some CalMag.
I use a 1-part solid nute (Greenleaf Megacrop), and no other nute of any kind, from seed to harvest, with good results.
Many growers are enticed into using those worthless supplements because they feel like they should be doing something "extra" for their plants.
"Everyone else is doing it" is also a very powerful inducement.

Reactions: NGA
straincreation

straincreation

Most nute companies recommend too much base nutes.
Some of us believe that nothing else is needed except base nutes and maybe some CalMag.
I use a 1-part solid nute (Greenleaf Megacrop), and no other nute of any kind, from seed to harvest, with good results.
Many growers are enticed into using those worthless supplements because they feel like they should be doing something "extra" for their plants.
"Everyone else is doing it" is also a very powerful inducement.
Soo basically any nutes what are you growing in, what numbers you hitting per light with just a base and cal mag at half strength?

Top Bottom