First time UVB set up - what I did

• Thread starter Swany
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Swany

Swany

...Lastly, an indoor garden is no place to get superstitious. If 840W is all it takes to get results, why would you let that stop you?
I believe I see a difference, and I'm going to test the plants under the UVB and not under the UVB for potency. I just wired a room for a guy with test equipment so I'll get cheap tests ;-} I will be adding to the system next time around if I get results. If I don't see results I will double the UVB around one light to further test. I'm also thinking of changing to Venus reflectors. I messed with the Awings and could not get even light. I will try again after this run just to be sure. Thanks Tty!

Swany

Swany

These were right in line of the edge of the aaw.
I get the most intense light right along the edge also. As noted above, it should just be adjustment of the Awing but I've not figured out the right adjustment yet. Thanks for chiming in ;-}

Swany

Swany

Here is a picture of two similar buds - first is under the UVB
130802 UVB

Second is not under the UVB
130802 No UVB

I think the UVB is producing a bit more trichromes, suppose testing will tell more. I have the light up to 45 min per hour for 8 hours a night. Will hopefully remember to change it to a solid 8 hours for tomorrow night.

I was at a job site yesterday hooking up electrical to monster pumps. I scored a scrap of 5" pvc pipe I'm going to use for my next set of reflectors. I may try putting two bulbs in one reflector... or just get lazy and buy fixtures with good reflectors... ;-}

ttystikk

ttystikk

Here is a picture of two similar buds - first is under the UVB
View attachment 330545

Second is not under the UVB
View attachment 330546

I think the UVB is producing a bit more trichromes, suppose testing will tell more. I have the light up to 45 min per hour for 8 hours a night. Will hopefully remember to change it to a solid 8 hours for tomorrow night.

I was at a job site yesterday hooking up electrical to monster pumps. I scored a scrap of 5" pvc pipe I'm going to use for my next set of reflectors. I may try putting two bulbs in one reflector... or just get lazy and buy fixtures with good reflectors... ;-}

I think you should buy 2 two bulb four foot T5 fixtures and run them every minute the bloom lights are on. I still think you're way off the low end of the scale for effective exposure.

If you see light bleaching, then back down. To harden them off to UVB and prevent bleaching, add one UVB tube to your veg area, and run it 2' above the canopy- and run it one hour on, one hour off for a week or so before moving into bloom with the 2 x 4' fixture.

Swany

Swany

I will put 4 bulbs on one HPS for the entire next bloom cycle. I'm still trying to keep costs down prior to having distribution set up and profits coming in. To add another 800 watts for 720 hours, not to mention the bulbs and fixtures is another chunk of change. I know, I know; better bud means easier selling but I haven't even sold (ahem, donated) anything yet and I just want to get though that doorway. Totally makes sense to increase wattage, I think there is some difference but not anything exciting so I need more.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I will put 4 bulbs on one HPS for the entire next bloom cycle. I'm still trying to keep costs down prior to having distribution set up and profits coming in. To add another 800 watts for 720 hours, not to mention the bulbs and fixtures is another chunk of change. I know, I know; better bud means easier selling but I haven't even sold (ahem, donated) anything yet and I just want to get though that doorway. Totally makes sense to increase wattage, I think there is some difference but not anything exciting so I need more.

This is a good plan. If it works, then you'll gain quite a reputation for your meds. If not, you haven't bought the whole mess. I think you'll be very pleased with your results, myself... I'm watching closely; if your setup works, it's my next upgrade.

Z

zincsulfate

Light bleaching actually kills leaf surface material. It looks different than a contact scorch, but it is the plant's equivalent of a sunburn.

If your AAW is set up this way, you can either move the bulb up or down to change the focus point, or adjust the spread of the wings to alter the pattern, or both. Properly set up, they should provide even lighting.

The last thing you need to worry about is light bleaching from your UVB experiment. Your light intensities are too low and you're not running them all day. It should only take a few days to adequately garden off plants to UVB exposure.
HAHA

G

GreenLifeO

Update?

5yrs later we have learned the 10.0 rep bulbs are great for small grows and are best when used very close. Many report with direct contact their is no burning no matter the length of time exposed.

G

GreenLifeO

Side note....why not just buy 2 shoplights from walmart for $20 and 4 ratchet ropes $10 versus the pvc fixture.

Top Bottom