First-timer: Questions And Thank You

• Thread starter Guynextdoor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Guynextdoor

Hi All,

New member as you can see, name’s Todd. Long story short my next door neighbor gave me a small clone in a red solo cup one night back in April and between then and now I have become very attached to my first plant. I have learned a lot from reading this forum and others, and as a result my plant is now standing close to 8’ tall (counting the 30 gal smart pot). So for that, thank you all for your quality public advice!

She has started flowering the past few weeks, and in the past 4 days or so has begun growing white trichomes. Seems on schedule for outdoor in the Sacramento, CA region. But I have a concern, the main reason for joining here today: the older leaves toward the bottom (and some up middle-height) have been yellowing and slowly dying for 3-4 weeks now and I can’t get it to stop. When it first started I guessed N deficiency, but increasing that to the point where I had slight leaf tip burn didn’t help. I’ve since backed way off the N for flower. Next I figured possible Mag deficiency, but increasing epsom salt into the water and some foliage spray attempts didn’t help. I tested Ph for the first time last week, soil was down in the 5’s so I adjusted my feedings up (which were also low) and now my soil is high 6’s/low 7s depending on where I take my reading. As of today, the damn leaves are still slowly getting light in color and dying about a week later. It’s driving me nuts, but now I’m beginning to think maybe it’s normal for whatever strain this is (which I do not know, and my neighbor’s guess of Sunset Sherbet is definitely wrong)... could it be that simple? Anyone have other ideas?

I’d be glad to get into the soil, ferts, watering schedule, etc but to avoid extreme lengthiness on my first post, I’ll plan on sharing that later should anyone be so nice as to give a damn.

I’ve added some pics since that seems to help. For reference, my wife standing next to her is 5’8”. That pic was last week.

Thanks!

First timer questions and thank you
First timer questions and thank you 2
First timer questions and thank you 3
First timer questions and thank you 4
Bronco

Bronco

Mine have been doing that for quite some time......Thinking it is pretty normal. I am in the same basic area. I just pic them off and plant looks good again.....lol

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Very nice. Nice looking plant too. Ha!

I think you are on the right track. Now that you’ve got your ph within the ideal range it should be fine. The leaves that are dying are old growth and close to the main stalk. They aren’t getting much light and so photosynthesis has slowed and the plant is using up the stored energy to continue its outward growth. Soon they’ll dry up and drop off. As long as the new growth looks healthy you are fine. Very normal behavior. Start hitting them with the bloom ferts anytime now and keep it moving. Kudos on your beautiful girls.

G

Guynextdoor

Thank you both! So far so good then. Feeling better already. The newer perimeter growth is all quite healthy: no discoloration, firm, and happy to follow the sun by day and relax peacefully at night. I’ve provided her some flowering drink, but just Alaska ‘Morbloom’ from the local big blue home improvement store. For veg I pretty much only fed it Alaska Fish fert and it seemed to do very well on that. Thinking about adding some bone meal to the diet.

The responses are appreciated.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Old growth, they tend to die off as the lack of light and age. The tops look good so I think your plan of action has worked and I wouldn’t fret over any lower leaves. I would defoliate a little as you are now going to be adding bloom fert. Loosing some lower fan leaves via defoliation keep the avaible nitrogen in system to help the cola and sugar leaves growing.
I usually defoliate 3weeks into flower and then keep em semi trimmed.
Helps with air flow and man it makes some nice colas as now light is Penetrating deeper into the stalk.
Cheers and happy growing
I’m in Monterey cali and we been cold so my plants are full on flower atm!!

Perception

Perception

One other thing to be aware of: Overwatering will cause lower leaves to wilt, yellow, and die off. Overwatering symptoms work their way up from the bottom. So just be cognizant of this, and that it "could" be part of your issue.

That being said, I wouldn't be super concerned about it (as the others pointed out), unless it gets dramatically worse. Not that uncommon.

Here's a quick article I found: https://www.ambius.com/indoor-plants/why-plants-turn-yellow/

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Nice looking girls. Change the top to white on the one to the left and water vigorously then report back. If that doesn't make you smile I'm all out of ideas. I'm kidding of course.

Welcome to the farm.

G

Guynextdoor

#palmtoface

Shoulda said it was my daughter.

Perception: good point on the watering, if I had to guess, I’d say my watering has likely been more frequent than necessary. Average would be about 3 gallons every other day unless it’s in the mid-90s or hotter at which point I’ve done the 3 gallons every day.

Jack og: I will do a little reading up on early flower defoliation and see about giving that a shot. The plant doesn’t seem very dense to begin with and sunlight appears to penetrate well, but I will surely research the concept further.

You all have been kind to share your thoughts. Happy hump day.

G

Guynextdoor

Hi all,

Quick update: I cleared out all of the dead and nearly-dead leaves and the plant looked great for a few days. The intermittent yellowing has resumed and I’ve noticed a pattern: they are all the larger 3-bladed leaves that are yellowing, none are the 5-bladers.

Can any kind of deficiency or lack thereof be deducted by this? Hoping that perhaps the 3-bladed leaves are the first to be spent and that it’s normal, although I can’t seem to find any reading material to confirm or deny.

Happy Sunday.

SmokesalotofVT

SmokesalotofVT

3 fingered leaves?? usually mean the plant went into reveg at some point.. that should have nothing to do with the yellowing.. you may wanna try and let the soil dry out some before your next water,and have you fed any teas or nutrients to the plant?? also some yellowing is not bad means the plant is doing what it supposed to do late in it's life cycle .. you dont want your plants too Green either esp towards harvest ..

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

You're just getting a little nitrogen deficiency. That's a nice plant and has the capacity to reward you big time. Up the nutrients. Plant that size needs a steady stream of NPK and secondaries! Lots of nitrogen all the way till the end of stretch. If or when bloom starts I would feed 50/50 bloom/veg till the final veg phase or stretch has ended around week 5 then go maybe 80/20 bloom/veg through rippening. Cover youre pot during heavy rain so you dont leach the soil. Nice Plant!!

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
your doing just fine. Normal looking bush. :smoking:

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Who are you calling stupid??? Slow your roll or Ill slow it for you. Who really gives a shyt about proper writing skillz on the interweb?

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Lol man that went south quick!
Comical as fuck

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
to the OP sorry about all the trash talking that went on. Baby Huey has taken a extended vacation. :cool:

Top Bottom