Flowering Looking Weird

• Thread starter Jacks N
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jacks N

Hi.. First year growing bud. So obviously have no good knowledge on plants. I've been having an issue with my plant.. It was going good till bout a week ago. The plant was full and flowering and now its like dying out in just a certain spot? Its branches are really brown and week and just small. While the lower branches are all normal? What could it be? My dad had a gopher problem and his plant looked like that.. Not sure what could be causing it!! Posted some pics to show and get some advice. Pics show bottom buds good and top of plant is looking dead
Flowering looking weird

Monster762

Monster762

That ain't no plant that's an all out tree.
Pics aren't too clear. Being in flower I wouldn't throw bunch of calmag at it due to the nitrogen. Is it damaged anywhere? Going to that branch. For 1 beach to be that way I'd be looking for damage down where the yellowing starts. I know they should lose color to the leaves far into flower. But that would be on all branches not just 1.
Just curious how tall is that thing and what strain? I see huge sativa like leaves long n skinny.the Pics aren't the best to really see much.

Monster762

Monster762

Hi.. First year growing bud. So obviously have no good knowledge on plants. I've been having an issue with my plant.. It was going good till bout a week ago. The plant was full and flowering and now its like dying out in just a certain spot? Its branches are really brown and week and just small. While the lower branches are all normal? What could it be? My dad had a gopher problem and his plant looked like that.. Not sure what could be causing it!! Posted some pics to show and get some advice. Pics show bottom buds good and top of plant is looking dead View attachment 745147
And if it was root problem like gopher digging foots I'd think it be all over the plant not one stalk.

below frigid

below frigid

Hi.. First year growing bud. So obviously have no good knowledge on plants. I've been having an issue with my plant.. It was going good till bout a week ago. The plant was full and flowering and now its like dying out in just a certain spot? Its branches are really brown and week and just small. While the lower branches are all normal? What could it be? My dad had a gopher problem and his plant looked like that.. Not sure what could be causing it!! Posted some pics to show and get some advice. Pics show bottom buds good and top of plant is looking dead View attachment 745147

I see you have that plant tied to a pole for support. Check where you have it tied. Sometimes plants grow and strangle themselves. If that's the problem, you can loosen it but it might not help a whole lot this late in the game.

Hydro head

Hydro head

That's massive, as above check where u tied it up it prob to tight, if it was a root problem it wud be the whole plant, check for bugs as well

Dan789

Dan789

Have you scoped the affected leaves for the “borg” (russet mites)? If you can rule out bugs (first guess) then maybe it’s temps that caused the leaves to fade out, but that wouldn’t account for the weak branch(s), that goes to something attacking the plant, back to bugs. I’d cut losses, and the branch affected and hope it’s not my first guess.

King Julien

King Julien

I don't see any obvious signs of mites but those aren't the best pics for spotting mites either.

I've never had it happen on an outdoor crop and don't know if they even eat cannabis but I know stem borers will cause similar damage in squash almost overnight if they hit the right place. There are multiple types of borers. From hardwood to plant eaters so there's a possibility it could be one but you wouldn't know it until you cut it down.

I will add that if it's a stem borer the problem will get much worse fast but only in the affected stem. That is until it gets hungry and finds another. So if you go out one day and the thing is on it's side and looks almost dead cut it out down to the main stem then cut apart the stem of what you cut off and inspect it for holes and rots.

I seriously doubt it was caused by it but I know trace amounts of glycophosphate based herbicides, roundup, can cause symptoms similar to that. Generally though it's accompanied by new leaves being all stunted, twisted, and downright weird. Although if it was only a trace amount and is only effecting the top you may not notice that what with those buds not putting out lots of new leaves.

I'll also add that if it was glycophosphate damage it's very likely it will spread to the entire plant over time BUT there's nothing you can do about it. Once it gets in the system of a plant you can't just cut it off and make it better sadly.

Good luck though. Seems like you'll probably do alright either way.

Last edited:
J

Jacks N

No mites just checked but my brother just told me he gave them max bloomer with another max bloomer.. I'm thinking they had a nutrient lock-out.. Would that be possible?

Monster762

Monster762

No mites just checked but my brother just told me he gave them max bloomer with another max bloomer.. I'm thinking they had a nutrient lock-out.. Would that be possible?
Too much nutes or inalance of nutes knows or other nutrients can cause a lockout of other nutes and show deficiency or burn but it wouldn't be isolated to one branch. I still say that branch is damaged somewhere.

J

Jacks N

Nope looked all around it moved it around and nothing broken. Also another one of my plants is starting to do the same slowly. Its spreading to other branches

King Julien

King Julien

That does fit the bill for glycosate poisoning but that by no means that's what it is. If it is I will throw it out there that to do that to a plant it takes so little I wouldn't even worry about smoking the end product unless I knew it had been sprayed in a large amount nearby in which case it would kill it WAY faster.

It could also be something eating at the roots though. A plant's roots are tied to the branches above to a degree. Take out a chunk of root mass on the right side of a plant and watch as the right side of the plant struggles to stay alive compared to the left. If you take too much of course it can shock and die but take them slowly and you can kill parts of the plant above ground that were feeding heavy from a particular root structure you damaged.

If something is eating at the roots bit by bit it could cause the top branches to stop being fed bit by bit. Just another suggestion. I've seen it happen a lot managing bushes around houses after armadillos would tear up the roots around their bases after they had been watered and were easy digging for bugs. They'd dig out the top 4-6 inches of dirt and roots around the outside of the bush and the branches and leaves would start dying off at the edge of the bush for a while until things started regrowing and reallocating.

Top Bottom