Flushing, Drying, Curing, In Sc

• Thread starter 420healer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

420healer

20170626 143603

Leew421

Leew421

For me, when I cut I make it as simple as possible. I don't really flush much because I drop the ppm in my feeds before it's time. I take her out of the light and shove them in my dry tent. I have a small fan pushing air constantly. They sit in the dark period for a couple days. At that point my soil should be dry and they are light to pick up. I chop at the main stem and hang everything just like that. I leave all the leafs on so they protect my buds and to slow drying. I also don't rely on the small stem method. Here's why, the stems of the leaves are a better judge. I have snapped a stem on a plant that wasn't ready and it went to shit after cut down. The stems on the leaves are some of the last to dry. If you can bend and break the stems of the leaves all over the plant it's ready to cut up. It will take about 7 days. Average temps 76-80 average rh is 45-60. I get the best smell and flavor hands down. Not to mention it's easy. Jar up and open every other day for a little bit.

jipp

jipp

For me, when I cut I make it as simple as possible. I don't really flush much because I drop the ppm in my feeds before it's time. I take her out of the light and shove them in my dry tent. I have a small fan pushing air constantly. They sit in the dark period for a couple days. At that point my soil should be dry and they are light to pick up. I chop at the main stem and hang everything just like that. I leave all the leafs on so they protect my buds and to slow drying. I also don't rely on the small stem method. Here's why, the stems of the leaves are a better judge. I have snapped a stem on a plant that wasn't ready and it went to shit after cut down. The stems on the leaves are some of the last to dry. If you can bend and break the stems of the leaves all over the plant it's ready to cut up. It will take about 7 days. Average temps 76-80 average rh is 45-60. I get the best smell and flavor hands down. Not to mention it's easy. Jar up and open every other day for a little bit.

so you leave the big fan leafs on too? i just check you can tell which leaf are ready to come off by twisting them a bit if they dead they pop off.

chris.

Leew421

Leew421

I leave it all. I sort the leaves when dry. I use them to guage when dry enough.

420healer

I don't have any big fan leaves. I defoliated almost all fan leaves awhile back. There are a couple small leaves barely sticking out of the sides of the buds. So would it still work for me to hang the entire plant as a whole, or should I do the cutting of the branches? And mine is dwc...

Also should I let her sit in a 48hr dark cycle prior to chopping her?

Thanks for all the useful info.

Oh, one last thing I almost forgot to ask. It's obviously too late at this point. However the nutrients I used were:
General hydroponics Floraduo A & B
Armor-si
Cali-magic
Floralicious plus

I have a decent size sample bottle of
Humboldts Ginormous, could I have used this with the GH Floraduo? I looked online and couldn't seem to find an answer to this question....

420healer

That last photo was accidentally uploaded. That's when it first started to really preflower.

Tardbuster

Tardbuster

Flushing is subjective to the grow, but if you have nutes left (dark leaves) at chop, your plant will still try to use em. Mj doesn't care if its attached to the root or not, its slowly dies as it dries, not instantly when cut. Just another variable to screw up your dry/cure imo. Plus most plants are overfed going by even half strength on bottled products.

And molasses... well any real botanist will tell you it slows growth by clogging the roots up. Thats how they market those stupid flower additives for easy transition between chemical feed changes; because it reduces absorption of nutrients and replaces em with simple sugars. No where in the world is table sugar a complex carb, but the grow store and cannabis grow forums.Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

No one believes me because I don't talk like a salesman. The irony. Feeding sugars is adulterating your bud. I've smoked/vaped plenty of weed with zero terps, fed molasses, maple syrup, all that. it's very obviously in the bud when you have no natural flavor to mask it. Couldn't be more obvious. It leaves a crust in the vape that is carmalized sugar. It coats your lungs and blocks cannabinoid absorption. That's how they market it as a weight booster, the sugar is the weight. Its a con every one growing mmj has fallen for.

Feeding sugar will get you laughed at everywhere else but Cannabis grow forums/hydro shops. I dont care what the pros think. They are smoking sugar and syrup, bragging about how frosty and sticky it makes their buds. Well no crap, you just soaked up molasses into it..

The only carbs your rootzone can use come from photosynthesis. The koolaid growing needs to end. The root directly soaks up sugar water.. My rants on this will never cease. Only reason I come to the Internet, to find out what all this nasty shit is in the weed these days.

Irish063

Irish063

I'm still a novice grower but I have lived in SC before. Depending on what part of the state you live in you will probably want to get a dehumidifier for your drying area. If you are anywhere near the coast I would say for sure. Even inside a house it is super humid. If you are in Greenville/Spartanburg/Clemson you could probably get away without it.
Just my 2cents.
Nice looking flowers
Welcome to the farm

420healer

Thanks for all the advice guys. Very helpful. Anyone got any ideas on using Ginormous with floraduo A & B? I mean has anyone ever tried this combo with good results?

420healer

So I haven't gotten a chance to take more recent up close photos. However I will. I have an HM TDS meter....have had it for probably 3 years...maybe a little longer?

It hasn't been calibrated once. However I'm still using it. But I'm fairly sure that it's giving false readings. I know it's been...and kind of embarrassing to say. But I haven't done an actual res. Change in....probably over 2 months. I have had A LOT A going on! However in that time frame, the water level has gotten so low that the air stones weren't bubbling. So I've been topping it off with tap water and adjusting the PH I've been keeping it around 5.9-6.2.

Anyway, the HM TDS/E.C. meter had been reading around 820ppm-860ppm. That's gotta be way off!

Should I get some R/O water or continue with the tap? Also what should my PH be for the flush?

My biggest concern is that Monday will make week 14 of bloom....and ALL of the top colas continue to throw a lot of white pistils., the bottom ones also have white pistils! And when I look at the buds under my loop, I see some milky trichomes, A LOT of clear ones, and maybe 1-2 amber per bud...it's crazy! Thanks to everyone who has been kind enough to share their knowledge with me. Truly. Also with mine being in dwc, should I also put it in the dark cycle before chop?

BTW I live in Columbia SC. If anyone has any knowledge on the dry/cure process in this area...any info would be greatly appreciated. And should I add a cool mist humidifier? Oh almost forgot. With my lights on, 400watt HPS in a 6" cool tube, 6" hurricane fan, connected to carbon filter, and 6" hyper fan passing over the bulb.

Temps run from 73-82 degrees
And R/H runs around 40-65% with the lights on

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

So I haven't gotten a chance to take more recent up close photos. However I will. I have an HM TDS meter....have had it for probably 3 years...maybe a little longer?

It hasn't been calibrated once. However I'm still using it. But I'm fairly sure that it's giving false readings. I know it's been...and kind of embarrassing to say. But I haven't done an actual res. Change in....probably over 2 months. I have had A LOT A going on! However in that time frame, the water level has gotten so low that the air stones weren't bubbling. So I've been topping it off with tap water and adjusting the PH I've been keeping it around 5.9-6.2.

Anyway, the HM TDS/E.C. meter had been reading around 820ppm-860ppm. That's gotta be way off!

Should I get some R/O water or continue with the tap? Also what should my PH be for the flush?

My biggest concern is that Monday will make week 14 of bloom....and ALL of the top colas continue to throw a lot of white pistils., the bottom ones also have white pistils! And when I look at the buds under my loop, I see some milky trichomes, A LOT of clear ones, and maybe 1-2 amber per bud...it's crazy! Thanks to everyone who has been kind enough to share their knowledge with me. Truly. Also with mine being in dwc, should I also put it in the dark cycle before chop?

BTW I live in Columbia SC. If anyone has any knowledge on the dry/cure process in this area...any info would be greatly appreciated. And should I add a cool mist humidifier? Oh almost forgot. With my lights on, 400watt HPS in a 6" cool tube, 6" hurricane fan, connected to carbon filter, and 6" hyper fan passing over the bulb.

Temps run from 73-82 degrees
And R/H runs around 40-65% with the lights on

1. fix/calibrate/replace your meter
2. I only do three res changes, first: when I go from veg to bloom cycle, second: half way through bloom cycle(six weeks), third: about two weeks before I think I'll be harvesting. The third res change, I just use 5.8 to 6.2 pH balanced water. I use tap water and I never bother letting it sit 24 hours to release the chlorine. You can call this a flush, I just call it a reduced amount of nutes. I then just top the res with pH balanced water, no nutes, the reset of the way.

3. The day before I think I'm going to harvest, I leave the light off, basically an extended dark cycle and harvest with the lights off. I don't know if the extended darkness does anything, but I do know that you want to harvest without the light on so that the plant doesn't start pulling fluid up from the roots.

4. With my harvest, I never got a lot of amber trichomes, I got about 50% cloudy. I said "screw it, it's about 12 weeks and I'm out of weed, you're coming down" };-) I only harvested two plants and let the other two stay an extra 10 days and it didn't make any difference. It was every bit as potent as anything I've ever had and my friends rave about it. };-)

anyway, I hope this helps a little...

420healer

That is great info. Thanks for taking the time to share with me. When I first bought the HM TDS meter from the hydroponics store...I didn't even know that it needed calibration then. That's when I very first started out. That was probably close to 4 years by now. I finally got an HM PH meter about a year ago, and I was educated enough to know about the calibration at this point. I do a 4.0 and 7.0 calibration with the solution before each use. May be over kill but I'm looking at it as better safe than sorry.

Idk for sure? However I think the calibration solution for the TDS meter is called Na-ci....something to that effect. But even still there is a little gold looking screw on the back. I think that's how you calibrate it.

I.e. I've no clue how to actually do it. I know. It's pathetic that I still don't know how to do it at this point. But I only attempted one other DWC grow prior to this and that was also around 3 years ago. My power was shut off before I could even flip her to bloom. This is my first semi successful DWC grow. Prior to this I have just used fox farms ocean forest soil. That also was a failure. I had her in a 5 gallon air pot. I am pretty sure I drowned her. I didn't and still don't know how much water to feed her when in a 5 gallon pot? And I couldn't find any real useful information about how much you water them while in soil. I way over analyzed the situation, as I often do. And screwed up. Lol. I know that is pathetic. But I just looked at it as trial and error. Learning experience.

Actually that's what made me decide to go with DWC this time around. Not having to worry about the soil, and less maintenance in a way. However I really would like to do an outdoor grow. But kinda hard to keep undetected by neighbors, law enforcement etc... anyone else in an
"Illegal" state that has any suggestions for keeping an outdoor stealthy and the how to's, final results etc...any info on this would be awesome. Thanks for everyone sharing their knowledge and experience with me. Thanks

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Flushing is subjective to the grow, but if you have nutes left (dark leaves) at chop, your plant will still try to use em. Mj doesn't care if its attached to the root or not, its slowly dies as it dries, not instantly when cut. Just another variable to screw up your dry/cure imo. Plus most plants are overfed going by even half strength on bottled products.

And molasses... well any real botanist will tell you it slows growth by clogging the roots up. Thats how they market those stupid flower additives for easy transition between chemical feed changes; because it reduces absorption of nutrients and replaces em with simple sugars. No where in the world is table sugar a complex carb, but the grow store and cannabis grow forums.Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

No one believes me because I don't talk like a salesman. The irony. Feeding sugars is adulterating your bud. I've smoked/vaped plenty of weed with zero terps, fed molasses, maple syrup, all that. it's very obviously in the bud when you have no natural flavor to mask it. Couldn't be more obvious. It leaves a crust in the vape that is carmalized sugar. It coats your lungs and blocks cannabinoid absorption. That's how they market it as a weight booster, the sugar is the weight. Its a con every one growing mmj has fallen for.

Feeding sugar will get you laughed at everywhere else but Cannabis grow forums/hydro shops. I dont care what the pros think. They are smoking sugar and syrup, bragging about how frosty and sticky it makes their buds. Well no crap, you just soaked up molasses into it..

The only carbs your rootzone can use come from photosynthesis. The koolaid growing needs to end. The root directly soaks up sugar water.. My rants on this will never cease. Only reason I come to the Internet, to find out what all this nasty shit is in the weed these days.
Photosynthesis feeds a living rhizosphere? Let alone a diverse populace? No, didn't think so either. Molasses is fed for the microbial life, but there are a lot of ppl doing it wrong these days and using molasses with synthetics. 1 tsp per gal maybe a little less during flush(1 tbsp per gal during veg/ stretch), that way your microbes will utilize whatever is left in the soil (organic no till or a super soil only). But the last 2-3 waters, is just cold tap, seems to help things move right along.

I feel like you are looking at things in a very synthetic ferts kind of way. Synthetic nutes are chelated and are readily available while many if not most organic nutes need to be broken down by beneficials. I started as a fully synthetic grower, and now am fully organic (nutrient wise). Organic changed my whole perception on Cannabis and now look towards the medical benefits and different terpene combinations unlocking better highs, instead of what gets me most stone cold stoned.
Organic all the way

420healer

Hey everyone,
It's been awhile since I've been on my own thread. Lol. I'd like to thank EVERYONE who helped me out with their advice/curing method. I finally chopped her down. 68-70 degree, 62% r/h. Then into glass wide mouth jars with 8 gram Boveda 62% humid packs. Finally some great smelling, tasting, burning Heaven! Had it not been for everyone who helped out I wouldn't have ended up with this....

420healer

Final yield: 144.9 g's in wide mouth ball mason jars, with Boveda 62% pack. Thanks to everyone who helped me through this process. As you can see...WISH YOU COULD SMELL!! Lol but you can see this batch of GSC came out smokilious! Thank you everyone a million times over!

420healer

I'll add better bud shots as soon as I can. This smells AMAZING! And very vibrant colors...Boveda packs make for the perfect burn. It took a A minute to hand trim all that alone. However I didn't mind. It's been jarred and curing for approximately 21 days. Just seems to improve overall everyday that passes by. But not too sound like a broken record, however I KNOW, my harvest wouldn't have turned out a 1/4 quality that it is! That's all thanks to everyone here that took the time to give me advice and guidance. Now the few samples I passed out...ppl are begging for it.

Top Bottom