Flushing Too Soon?

• Thread starter George1961
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
George1961

George1961

High everyone, I think I made (another) mistake having wrongly interpreted some data:I'm running a Critical + in DWC, in their website they say the flowering stage was 45-50 days indoor, I started to count when I changed the light cycle to 12/12 ,later I noticed you start counting after you see the first change (pistils one week later in my case), someone also told me he always flushed in the seventh week of that stage (which was my case before finding out it was my sixth week).

So I flushed and next Wednesday the plant will have lived three weeks with no nutes. Fortunately, I've seen one farmer that flushes three weeks, I thought two weeks was the limit. Still don't have any amber trichomes and I don't know if this lack of nutes can affect the final result and if there is anything I can do about it. Leaves are clear green and many yellow, so she is cannibalizing herself but I don't know if it will be enough. I attach some pics from right now, thanks for your help ...

Flushing too soon

Flushing too soon 2

George1961

George1961

@UncleRomulus Thanks for the reply, in your case, did it affect in some way to the plant? I am worried that everything is going too slow ...

@Nugg Sorry if I don't understand you very well, my English skills are similar to my growing ones :), you mean the trichomes are not big so there are more days left? Do you think after all this time the plant won't have food problems and it is just a question of waiting? Still much to learn, thanks ...

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I always count flowering from the day they go into 12/12. I have a plant that finished in 42 days this last round. Took it's twin today at day 47. And that's 42/47 days from starting 12/12.

George1961

George1961

I always count flowering from the day they go into 12/12. I have a plant that finished in 42 days this last round. Took it's twin today at day 47. And that's 42/47 days from starting 12/12.

Thanks JWM2, if I count as you say it would be 63 days, 56 if I do it my way, in both cases far from the stipulated 45-50 days, and seems it is not yet finished, that's why I'm worried about, cheers ...

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks JWM2, if I count as you say it would be 63 days, 56 if I do it my way, in both cases far from the stipulated 45-50 days, and seems it is not yet finished, that's why I'm worried about, cheers ...

Very common in the seed biz. Every "breeder" wants to shave time off their stated finishing times because it boosts sales. I've seen hazes marketed as 10 week strains. I've not seen a real haze go less than 14 and sometimes 18+ weeks. So its par for the course. Count from day 1, it's too subjective to count from bud set.

If you're in a rush to finish dial back the photoperiod to 11/13 or 10/14. It'll finish a little quicker. I use a 11/13 photoperiod from the start of flowering. I used to use 12/12 and may go back at some point but 11/13 seems to work well for me. I read an interview with DJ Short where he recommended it so decided to give it a go.

George1961

George1961

Very common in the seed biz. Every "breeder" wants to shave time off their stated finishing times because it boosts sales. I've seen hazes marketed as 10 week strains. I've not seen a real haze go less than 14 and sometimes 18+ weeks. So its par for the course. Count from day 1, it's too subjective to count from bud set.

If you're in a rush to finish dial back the photoperiod to 11/13 or 10/14. It'll finish a little quicker. I use a 11/13 photoperiod from the start of flowering. I used to use 12/12 and may go back at some point but 11/13 seems to work well for me. I read an interview with DJ Short where he recommended it so decided to give it a go.

Yes, that seems logical, so if you cannot trust what the breeders say, what's your tip for starting to flush? I am not in a rush, I am just worried because the plant will not have enough nutes to finish the process correctly, perhaps using that 10/14 would be a good solution or maybe I should not panic (as usual) and wait patiently to crop day, thanks for your help ...

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Yes, that seems logical, so if you cannot trust what the breeders say, what's your tip for starting to flush? I am not in a rush, I am just worried because the plant will not have enough nutes to finish the process correctly, perhaps using that 10/14 would be a good solution or maybe I should not panic (as usual) and wait patiently to crop day, thanks for your help ...
Why not just read the trichs and chop when they are ready, as opposed to some sort of schedule that is presented for marketing purposes; under optimal conditions; and should only be followed as a GUIDE anyway!

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Its up to you. There’s actually been a lot of discussion here lately about the truth in flushing and wether or not it’s even a good practice or does anything at all. Some swear by it and others swear against it.

In soil I don’t bother with it but I’m all organic so there’s no real need. I do feed just water the last couple weeks to get it to use up the stored nitrogen and nutrients I paid to put in the pot but that’s cuz I don’t want to flush money down the toilet.

However the first few rounds you have with a plant you’re more less feeling it out. Getting to know it’s wants and dislikes. Once you grow it a few rounds you’ll get a better handle on things and develop your own personal strategy for it. We all grow slightly differently even in the same growing mediums so it depends on personal preference and experience.

Kudos on your grow though and either way I’m sure you’ll have some great smoke to use and share :-)

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Why not just read the trichs and chop when they are ready, as opposed to some sort of schedule that is presented for marketing purposes; under optimal conditions; and should only be followed as a GUIDE anyway!

Well said. Perfectly stated.

George1961

George1961

Well, that modus operandi might be good for experienced growers as you seem to be, in my case this is my first grow in DWC (second in total :) ) and have no clues on which is the best moment to flush or how long it will take for those trichomes to be amber, that's why I make so many questions, thanks ...

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I wouldn’t wait for them to be all amber. That’s the point the thc starts degrading. Mostly cloudy is the recommended point of harvest for most people’s tastes.

George1961

George1961

I wouldn’t wait for them to be all amber. That’s the point the thc starts degrading. Mostly cloudy is the recommended point of harvest for most people’s tastes.

Thanks, was trying to say "some of them amber", my previous grow was an Amnesia so I am not looking for that "couchlock" effect but something energetic-high, I hope I will finally see some amber and chop ...

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Well, that modus operandi might be good for experienced growers as you seem to be, in my case this is my first grow in DWC (second in total :) ) and have no clues on which is the best moment to flush or how long it will take for those trichomes to be amber, that's why I make so many questions, thanks ...
It's your call as to how you want the effects to be (within reason). The "harvest window" is usually open for 2 weeks or so. It may be wise to have a flushing agent handy in case you are late. There really is no "best moment" but rather a best period to flush imo.

ie:My preference is: trichomes are about 50% cloudy so I begin to flush (actually leach). if I am late..Florakleen, Flawless Finish etc. is handy.

George1961

George1961

It's your call as to how you want the effects to be (within reason). The "harvest window" is usually open for 2 weeks or so. It may be wise to have a flushing agent handy in case you are late. There really is no "best moment" but rather a best period to flush imo.

ie:My preference is: trichomes are about 50% cloudy so I begin to flush (actually leach). if I am late..Florakleen, Flawless Finish etc. is handy.

Thanks Buzzer777 for the tip, watching the trichomes to see when to flush seems easier that counting those tricky days, I will have it in mind for my next grow ...

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

@UncleRomulus Thanks for the reply, in your case, did it affect in some way to the plant? I am worried that everything is going too slow ...

@Nugg Sorry if I don't understand you very well, my English skills are similar to my growing ones :), you mean the trichomes are not big so there are more days left? Do you think after all this time the plant won't have food problems and it is just a question of waiting? Still much to learn, thanks ...
I’ve had plants where I had to give them little bits of nutrients right near the end so they would finish up proper.. wasn’t happy but after a month cure they actually turned out decent.. still I’ve been more into reducing concentration of fertilizer until I see all/90 percent cloudy with even the odd amber and then give it tap water maybe twice (I’m in promix/coco) so for you I’d say only straight water for like 5-7 days.. does depend what nutes and that. There honestly isn’t much advantage to 2-3 week flush IMO (unless you use specific chemicals that call for that)

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

Cause it has to do with scheduling. Running rooms 9 weeks and reloading as soon as you chop will get you like 4.8 grows a year per room. All depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I wouldn't go off what a seed pack says. You might be selecting a different pheno then what he/she/it was. But I def select strains based on this criteria. I have plenty of dank 10 weeks I just dont choose to run since there are plenty that can take it's place. Efficiency is how you cut the most cost and save the most money on expenses with. This is an expensive game and your expenses only go up as the lights and rooms go up along with flowering time.

Flushing too long might crisp up the leaves some. As long as it isn't spreading into the leaves right next to the bud you are fine. You don't smoke the leaves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom