Following Vpd Thru Flower

• Thread starter ROOBIX
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

ROOBIX

It is an easy way of "splitting the main stem". Some growers do this in an attempt to stress the plant in the final 5-7 days to increase resin. It is something i have done every round on the advice of a friend, so im not sure what the actual affect is. I rarely grow 2 clones of the same strain so have never been able to do a comparison of splitting vs non splitting.

R

ROOBIX

Start flush about 10 days til chop. I put 2 holes in the main for the final 5-7 as shown. For the final 2 days, i snap the main cola stems and do the 2 days in the dark, then chop immediately.

20171113 060450
MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Start flush about 10 days til chop. I put 2 holes in the main for the final 5-7 as shown. For the final 2 days, i snap the main cola stems and do the 2 days in the dark, then chop immediately.
From my experience, these old hippy tricks don't do anything for the plants. I've seen and done them all in my 40+ years of growing.

R

ROOBIX

Im sure ur probably right. Iv always done it this way. Juat sharing my process. Maybe share something here for us noobs that does help that you have learned in all those years? Like your experience with vpd?

R

ROOBIX

And sorry for the "hippy tricks" pics distraction. Ill try to stay on topic.

R

ROOBIX

From my experience, these old hippy tricks don't do anything for the plants. I've seen and done them all in my 40+ years of growing.
Ha read my response and it souded douchey, not my intention. "Dont do stuff that doesnt work" is helpful advice. Lol
Was wondering tho, what have you seen with high temp and rh stayin within or outside recommended vpd? Did i get lucky with strains not getting mold? My sealed room has very good filtered airflow.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Ha read my response and it souded douchey, not my intention. "Dont do stuff that doesnt work" is helpful advice. Lol
Was wondering tho, what have you seen with high temp and rh stayin within or outside recommended vpd? Did i get lucky with strains not getting mold? My sealed room has very good filtered airflow.

It's not the high temps with high humidity during lights on, it's the temps and humidity at nighttime levels should be your concern as far as mold.
Some strains are more resistant to molds than others. Air flow is a good thing as the humidity level in the flower clusters can be as high as 10-15 points more than the ambient.

StandingRock

StandingRock

It's not the high temps with high humidity during lights on, it's the temps and humidity at nighttime levels should be your concern as far as mold.
Some strains are more resistant to molds than others. Air flow is a good thing as the humidity level in the flower clusters can be as high as 10-15 points more than the ambient.

I haven’t practiced this yet but I’m
Pretty sure vpd doesn’t matter at night(stomata are closed anyway) so we could have nice high humidity during day and lower humidity at night for the buds(and the carbon filter, they don’t like 70%+). I’m thinking about doing that the next run.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I haven’t practiced this yet but I’m
Pretty sure vpd doesn’t matter at night(stomata are closed anyway) so we could have nice high humidity during day and lower humidity at night for the buds(and the carbon filter, they don’t like 70%+). I’m thinking about doing that the next run.
Plants still respirer after lights out. Photosynthesis stops but there is several processes the plants still perform without light.

R

ROOBIX

I run the extraction fan slowly thru the carbon filter at night with the temp at 60-75 and rh about 50-60 depending on the week#. My citys ambient rh is aroun 30, so that helps me out. Daytime air is recycled through a hepa filter so i dont lose the co2.
The transition at lights out is tricky. At lights out in a sealed room, if the temp is allowed to drop naturally in a sealed room (just the cooling effect of lights off), the rh quickly goes to 90%+ and liquid water appears on the walls, plants, and floor. Most dehueys cant keep up.
Controlling the rh during the lights out temp drop is crucial. I have an ac and dehuey come on at the same time at lights out and they gradually reduce the rh and temp without spikes. My extraction fan comes on 5 min before lights out and vents into the veg room to give em a lil co2.
Natural heating from lights on gradually raises the rh to desired levels.(dehuey)

Dunge

Dunge

The problem as I see it is this. @ROOBIX
You clearly have extensive experience, and the capacity to think critically about cause and effect based on your lucid analysis of the "lights off" RH spike. Nice one. Thanks for that.
And you know full well that your acquired behavior of stressing the plant pre harvest is accurately described as "an old hippy trick"; an old trick, not one that old hippies employ.
I suggest we all critically inspect our own practices.

I know it is hard to gather data on practices that just seem like viral notions, but they can and do have an impact on the growing community.

Examples:
45 degree cut on clones
Cut made under water
Scarring the stem
Bisecting leaves of cutting
Ice water flushing
Lights out for x days before chopping
Calmag
Molasses and other sugar products to sweeten the bud
And last but not least; defoliation

These are all real things that we do, or do not do, but there is very little evidence of the reason, utility, or advantage gained thru these actions.

Marketers are at work trying to sell us products to serve our notions, only codifying and profiting from our general ignorance.

We can do better.

R

ROOBIX

Well said. T
The problem as I see it is this. @ROOBIX
You clearly have extensive experience, and the capacity to think critically about cause and effect based on your lucid analysis of the "lights off" RH spike. Nice one. Thanks for that.
And you know full well that your acquired behavior of stressing the plant pre harvest is accurately described as "an old hippy trick"; an old trick, not one that old hippies employ.
I suggest we all critically inspect our own practices.

I know it is hard to gather data on practices that just seem like viral notions, but they can and do have an impact on the growing community.

Examples:
45 degree cut on clones
Cut made under water
Scarring the stem
Bisecting leaves of cutting
Ice water flushing
Lights out for x days before chopping
Calmag
Molasses and other sugar products to sweeten the bud
And last but not least; defoliation

These are all real things that we do, or do not do, but there is very little evidence of the reason, utility, or advantage gained thru these actions.

Marketers are at work trying to sell us products to serve our notions, only codifying and profiting from our general ignorance.
We can do better.

Well said.
Thanks. This is my first thread and am understanding the impact of misinformation. That is why i made sure to state that i had no data to back up whether a technique did or did not work. In the future, ill leave out and only share real results based on side by side or controlled experiments.
I do know that i have very likely experienced an increase in yield with the same amount of light and co2 but letting the rh stay within charts. My system is more efficient as a bonus cuz my dehuey doesnt run all day.
Gotta wait for drying to post g/w. Looking forward to reporting on quality as well.
Appreciate all the advice guys...

Top Bottom