Fungus Gnats in Coco

• Thread starter roasthawg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
neverbreak

neverbreak

No I only tried it one time... I have the granulated version and got it off of ebay, never really trusted the stuff. Maybe I'll give it another go if the tea doesn't clear em up... does gnatrol work fine with organics?

yeah bro, it's fine with organics as it basically is organic. it's a bacterium that specifically predates upon fungus gnat larvae. but ya gotta reapply to break the cycle, as it don't work on the eggs, only the larvae. give it another go bro, it's good shit.

neverbreak

R

roasthawg

Well I definitely wouldn't drink the stuff myself but YMMV..lol

I've been using it in my DTW system for about a year now every other day with No problems whatsoever.

It doesn't effect the PH or EC at all and can easily be added to your nutes in the rez.

This stuff is used in ponds and such to battle mosquitos..(Biological Mosquito Control BMC)...But at higher dosages (1ml. per gallon) it battles gnats NO problem.

I litterally havent seen a gnat in my rooms since the day I started using this stuff.
Highly recommended!
Thanks man, ordered some... I'll give it a try. Is it systemic at all? Should I stop using it after a certain week in flower? Do you hit it with 1m/gal constantly or is there different dosages for extermination vs prevenative maintenance? Thanks!

R

roasthawg

yeah bro, it's fine with organics as it basically is organic. it's a bacterium that specifically predates upon fungus gnat larvae. but ya gotta reapply to break the cycle, as it don't work on the eggs, only the larvae. give it another go bro, it's good shit.

neverbreak
If I don't have any luck with the bmc I'll give the gnatrol another shot. I think I remember it raising ph a bunch, that might've spooked me.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

If your still using chlorinated water, that's your problem. Your killing all the bennies in the foliar pack instantly. Also make sure your room doesn't get over 60% RH, make a tea of neem cake and foliar pack and use a sprayer to apply to the tops of your pots ( not too much, damp not wet). I also found smart pots help too because there's no holes in the bottom for gnats to access and lay larvae. Also compost and coco are known to come with larvae so make sure you flush both with a mesquito dunk solution before entering the garden or brewing tea with compost. Next you MUST let all pots dry out EVERYTIME!! Get some moisture meters you can stick into some pots, that will leave the guesswork away. Make sure there is no standing water in your room that gnats have access to. Standing water is larvaes best friend. If all else fails get a microscope and make sure there not flying aphids. Fungus gnats will never be completely out of your garden if you live in an area like mine but I've gotten it down to where I only see one every now and then. Just stay persistent and vigilant.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
OK guys the FOLIAR PACK has BT which is the active ingredient in mosquito dunks and gnatrol. It also has a few other species that will wreak havoc on FG larvae. Due to the mode of action it will take a few days to see results. You do not want to apply gnatrol and the foliar pack at the same time. That's redundant. The FP has 5 billion spores per gram of BTi. You can't miss with it.

You can let your tap water sit out for a few hours prior to mixing int he foliar pack and the chlorine will off gas.

Don't use IMid products and the bennies at the same time. In fact, try not to use Imid products (bayer SYSTEMIC) at all! Shit is toxic and not for use on edibles.

R

roasthawg

OK guys the FOLIAR PACK has BT which is the active ingredient in mosquito dunks and gnatrol. It also has a few other species that will wreak havoc on FG larvae. Due to the mode of action it will take a few days to see results. You do not want to apply gnatrol and the foliar pack at the same time. That's redundant. The FP has 5 billion spores per gram of BTi. You can't miss with it.

You can let your tap water sit out for a few hours prior to mixing int he foliar pack and the chlorine will off gas.

Don't use IMid products and the bennies at the same time. In fact, try not to use Imid products (bayer SYSTEMIC) at all! Shit is toxic and not for use on edibles.
Thanks cap, great to know! What about the Microbelift BCM, is that redundant or bad to use with og biowar tea? Also, three weeks worth of tea use and no decrease in gnats is likely do to mixing the root and foilar packs in to fresh tap water maybe? I ran some ro this time around (still waiting on my tall boy dechlorinator) and added some fish pond dechlorinator to my resevoirs so I'm hoping for some better results.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Thanks cap, great to know! What about the Microbelift BCM, is that redundant or bad to use with og biowar tea? Also, three weeks worth of tea use and no decrease in gnats is likely do to mixing the root and foilar packs in to fresh tap water maybe? I ran some ro this time around (still waiting on my tall boy dechlorinator) and added some fish pond dechlorinator to my resevoirs so I'm hoping for some better results.

Microbelift BCM is the same. Just bacillus thuringiensis israelensis.

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

to ensure myself that their is no bad shit in my soil/coco bag from the hydro store i do something a bit outside of the box....

Before transplanting i throw my soil/coco smartpots into my microwave... I nuke each 3 gal pot for 20-25 seconds.... If their was anything living in it before it sure as hell wont be after 20 seconds in the microwave... I always microwave all of my soil/coco, it does work...

Please dont try to microwave any soil with a plant in it... I have never done this but i can imagine it pry wouldnt be good... Maybe ill try next time im about to cull a male, just for shits and giggles...

R

roasthawg

to ensure myself that their is no bad shit in my soil/coco bag from the hydro store i do something a bit outside of the box....

Before transplanting i throw my soil/coco smartpots into my microwave... I nuke each 3 gal pot for 20-25 seconds.... If their was anything living in it before it sure as hell wont be after 20 seconds in the microwave... I always microwave all of my soil/coco, it does work...

Please dont try to microwave any soil with a plant in it... I have never done this but i can imagine it pry wouldnt be good... Maybe ill try next time im about to cull a male, just for shits and giggles...
Interesting approach! Tough for larger scale but something to keep in mind for sure... thanks!

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Cap is right, his Foliar pack does contain the same strain of bacteria as mesquito dunks. I only was recommending using them for large areas of standing water in treys, drains, straight RO reservoirs and huge applications that you don't want to waste your Foliar pack on ( like flushing large amounts of coco, instead of wasting a quarter pack of Foliar, I just chunk a half a dunk in a Rez and begin flushing/charging).
Microbelift BCM is the same. Just bacillus thuringiensis israelensis.

souf69

souf69

Cap is right about the bayer, it is toxic, and you should not need it for gnats at all.

R

roasthawg

Cap is right, his Foliar pack does contain the same strain of bacteria as mesquito dunks. I only was recommending using them for large areas of standing water in treys, drains, straight RO reservoirs and huge applications that you don't want to waste your Foliar pack on ( like flushing large amounts of coco, instead of wasting a quarter pack of Foliar, I just chunk a half a dunk in a Rez and begin flushing/charging).
I had ordered the microbe-lift bmc before caps response... wondering if I should still run it in addition to the tea?

R

roasthawg

I'd 'Only' use the Microbelift BMC on the days that you don't foliar ..... that way you don't Over Dose them.

The ONLY TWO additives/preventatives I EVER use in my garden is Microbelift BMC and Mycostop.

Mycostop has taken the place of Root Excel by H&G and all other additives. I only have to use it ever other week or twice a month.

Plants are picture perfect from rooted clone to harvest....and Never seen a bug since using these products!
Tried the Microbelift... did 1m/g on Friday and then again on Monday. So far still a bunch of gnats but hoping for the best.

R

roasthawg

Starting to get worried that I might have winged root aphids rather than fungus gnats due to the lack of response to bti.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Starting to get worried that I might have winged root aphids rather than fungus gnats due to the lack of response to bti.

Hit it with the foliar pack. It will definitely help with RA. You need to soak full strength though and spray everything down.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
I got fungus gnats in coco beds right now, and the next day after i hit with a Tea i notice less flyers. does it work on adults 2? I do water everything down (u have to when u have beds)
confu

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I got fungus gnats in coco beds right now, and the next day after i hit with a Tea i notice less flyers. does it work on adults 2? I do water everything down (u have to when u have beds)
confu

Probably if you actually hit them with the spores.

R

roasthawg

Use the Microbelift Daily... or everytime you water.
Especially if you already have an infestation!

If you've got RA...then that's a whole new ballgame and would be much more difficult to eradicate.
Yeah, they're fungus gnats. I was just tripping based on my inability to get them under control with bti. I'll start using Microbelift daily. Also gonna layer the top of my coco with some perlite and see if that helps.

CaliShark

CaliShark

Can fungus gnat larva cause pistole die back? Or is this more broad mite damage? Only 3-4 bud sites out of 30 per plant are being affected. All other growth and fan leafs are healthy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom