Fungus Gnats: Sand Applied On Top, To Water On Top Or Bottom ?

• Thread starter Burned Haze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PharmHand

Well microbe-lift Bmc (Bti) got here in the mail and I will be applying it every 7 days

(Making my final thoughts to remove my sand so I can water on top since coco relies so much on runoff and salt removal , otherwise I would feed through the bottom )
Bti can work well. Just make sure whatever one you choose has a valid expiration date on it. It’s very perishable, if it has no date chances are it’s not alive/viable. Large rolls of yellow sticky tape can be had for cheap at ag supply stores

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Do you have to re-apply DE every time you water or it gets wet ? If you did , that would be a shit load of work everyday before watering plus dusty lol
No, mix into soil
sounds like the DE would be better used in a separate container too ,or paperplate ?. I read it's just as harmful to HUMAN LUNGS- use care or a mask ie turn off your fans while you sort it out .

I forgot about the nematodes . She went on and on about the benefits on podcast - getting them directly from the source etc . IDK what a nematode is . Is it like mycorriza ?
DE needs to be applied to the entire media mix before transplant. If you’ve ever had a problem they not only burrow through the top of the soil they also burrow through the bottom where your drain holes are. In the past I’ve had a couple horrible experiences to the point I had to bring a hose into the grow room. Since I’ve started this practice I have seen not one of those basterds.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Sorry to hear about the problems.

Azaguard and bti should take care of it.

Pure azadirachtin stays in soil for about 50 days and if there is azadirachtin in the soil there will be azadirachtin in the plant too. Tho in minute amounts after 30 days. Now these time frames are based on a research on aspen plants so cannabis can act differently but there should be a 30 day window between the drench and harvest imo. 50 is better :)

P

PharmHand

Sorry to hear about the problems.

Azaguard and bti should take care of the problems.

Pure azadirachtin stays in soil for about 50 days and if there is azadirachtin in the soil there will be azadirachtin in the plant too. Tho in minute amounts after 30 days. Now these time frames are based on a research on aspen plants so cannabis can act differently but there should be a 30 day window between the drench and harvest imo.
Neem and azadirachtin aren’t approved for use on cannabis in Canada for that reason

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Neem and azadirachtin aren’t approved for use on cannabis in Canada for that reason

Well lots of things that got approved thru the world are known carcinogens so little bit azadirachtin shouldn’t hurt imo. Plus if you give it 50 day window the end product is guaranteed clean.

Legal disclaimer; neither me nor anyone in the farm can guarantee the end product will be clean. The azadirachtin has been listed as an endocrine disruptor in the EU. :D

P

PharmHand

Well lots of things that got approved thru the world are known carcinogens so little bit azadirachtin shouldn’t hurt imo. Plus if you give it 50 day window the end product is guaranteed clean.

Legal disclaimer; neither me nor anyone in the farm can guarantee the end product will be clean. The azadirachtin has been listed as an endocrine distrupter in the EU. :D
It is approved for cannabis in most legal states afaik, it can’t be too bad. I use azamax in veg and it passes. Didn’t know that bit about it being an endocrine disrupter. Neem and neem products have been widely used for all sorts of ailments in India for millennia

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
It is approved for cannabis in most legal states afaik, it can’t be too bad. I use azamax in veg and it passes. Didn’t know that bit about it being an endocrine disrupter. Neem and neem products have been widely used for all sorts of ailments in India for millennia

Yeah to some extent for their properties of endocrine disruption (birth control and abortion) :D
Its just the good and the bad changes with your perspective. So as is said no biggie if there are residual amounts of azadirachtin stays in the plant. Chemical option is almost always worst. Plus there shouldn’t be any left if applied 50 days prior to harvest.

B

Burned Haze

Well after hours of work I removed 300lb of sand, applied my liquid based BTI and applied apples to the Vinegar Traps that I made ( didn’t know I had to put fruit with it lol)

i’m Pretty sure the population is way down cause the yellow traps I put out yesterday there’s if not barely anyon them capared to 2-3 days ago and I only saw less than 20 adults in a 2000 square foot grow room with quite a few plants. It’s looking good

Since my defoliating methods are pretty radical and I have 2-6 fan for every row i’m Pretty sure that’s why they really hate my room set up. The other thing I was impressed was it was only 4 days since I’ve had sand on top and I had full white roots all over in it and even roots trying hard on the stem. I kinda regretted removing the sand for that resets on but like I stated before, being a coco/dtw guy I need to do 10-15% run off and ca’t handle watering from the bottom or having the sand retain it that way.

zzzybil

zzzybil

For what it's worth my vinegar and apple cup didn't attract diddley but once the beer went flat ? 2nd day there were a TON in the cups and don't see any now........ Maybe they prefer flat beer ? or maybe when the soil dried they sought it out ? They seemed attracted to my coffee . Tried that too - They like cream in the coffee over black ?????????? THE BEER CAUGHT EXPOTENTIALLY MORE . I know slugs are attracted and eliminated by a saucer of beer . Looks like fungus gnats are too

B

Burned Haze

Well I talked with the azaguard rep and he explained to me azamax and their product are def different by azamax they add petroleum based products and other shit and that’s why Oregon banned it and they didn’t ban the other AZADIRACHTIN based products ( plus azaguard is 2x stronger and same price)

He said 3rd week-6th week of flower ( it’s even in the manual after him emailing the page lol)

Anyways point is fuck azamax and use that always and as long as you don’t foliar and you could use bti with it. I’m sure this will help fight the battle

Oregon pesticide list:
https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/shared/D...PesticidesPARC/GuidelistPesticideCannabis.pdf

Azamax banned and ordered to be removed in Oregon:
https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/programs/Pesticides/Documents/2018Advisories/AzaMax.pdf

P

PharmHand

Run T-Drops from CX. You're problem will be handled within a couple applications
Tanlin? Used to be called nilnat( tanlin is reverse). U used that stuff successfully? It’s a chitosan product and did literally fuck all for me. Used it many times hoping it would eventually do something... nothing. With all due respect, just my experience

DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

Tanlin? Used to be called nilnat( tanlin is reverse). U used that stuff successfully? It’s a chitosan product and did literally fuck all for me. Used it many times hoping it would eventually do something... nothing. With all due respect, just my experience
Haven't had a single issue in any of my indoor spaces since using it as a preventative. I'll run it every 2 weeks in Prop/Veg and then for 2 straight days when I transplant into my final pots. Not a single bug anywhere

P

PharmHand

Haven't had a single issue in any of my indoor spaces since using it as a preventative. I'll run it every 2 weeks in Prop/Veg and then for 2 straight days when I transplant into my final pots. Not a single bug anywhere
I wouldn’t give the tanlin all the credit bro:) or maybe I just got some bunk tanlin.... It was free from a sales rep. Chitosan is a good addition regardless. Peace ✌

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Well I talked with the azaguard rep and he explained to me azamax and their product are def different by azamax they add petroleum based products and other shit and that’s why Oregon banned it and they didn’t ban the other AZADIRACHTIN based products ( plus azaguard is 2x stronger and same price)

He said 3rd week-6th week of flower ( it’s even in the manual after him emailing the page lol)

Anyways point is fuck azamax and use that always and as long as you don’t foliar and you could use bti with it. I’m sure this will help fight the battle

Oregon pesticide list:
https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/shared/D...PesticidesPARC/GuidelistPesticideCannabis.pdf

Azamax banned and ordered to be removed in Oregon:
https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/programs/Pesticides/Documents/2018Advisories/AzaMax.pdf
What containers are these in and what size are they? Sorry if you mentioned it, I didnt see it.

B

Burned Haze

What containers are these in and what size are they? Sorry if you mentioned it, I didnt see it.

ya
* Do you mean my growing medium container ? 5 gal coco, black plastic 50% square, 50% circle

* If you mean the azamax container I think they removed the product intill they could prove they had everything on their Oregon based tag since they were being dumb and leaving stuff out. That link was based in feb and if you look at the pesticide list it looks like azamax might be allowed now . Ethier way agaguard is 2x stronger in concentration and isn’t petroleum based

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
This really helped when i had the gnat issue. 1" of Gnat nix or perlite on top of the media. Then use nylon 5gal paint strainer bags with elastic top to keep gnats out of drain holes.
IMG 1725
ya
* Do you mean my growing medium container ? 5 gal coco, black plastic 50% square, 50% circle

* If you mean the azamax container I think they removed the product intill they could prove they had everything on their Oregon based tag since they were being dumb and leaving stuff out. That link was based in feb and if you look at the pesticide list it looks like azamax might be allowed now . Ethier way agaguard is 2x stronger in concentration and isn’t petroleum based
Your growing medium container.

Madmax

Madmax

P

PharmHand

Really ..b fooked.and here i was in my plant area puffing it around the area it looked like white smoke .like i just done a burnout in the muscle car..when i read up on it, it said good for treating constipation,lowering cholesterol and a few others...oh well my lungs are fooked anyway...coughs..
Haha yea u can eat it, the food grade stuff anyhow, it’s given to farm animals too. Just don’t breathe the dust. And silicosis would be from someone working w it everyday over time.... You can get the same thing if you’re cutting concrete dry, or jack hammering- wear a mask. Just a good idea

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I've used sand it was ok. Diatomaceous earth is better, like rolling in glass for bugs :) stick with the bti tho, I use the bti donuts crumbled in the bottom to address drain holes & dress the top for the rest & I haven't had gnats since.
yep DE is the way to go. cuts them fokkers to ribbons.

Top Bottom