Fungus Gnats

• Thread starter Tearsofshiva
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

VonDank

Amen on the nematodes

I used nematodes once for a serious infestation that was killing my plants. it was horrible. i did not realize it could get that bad. i applied 25 million total of two species of nematodes and a few day later they were basically destroyed. i was able to finish the grow like nothing happened. now i use a root barrier made out of solar screen and it keeps them from going in and out of the pots. thats how they reproduce so if you can stop that. problem solved.

gotta hate bugs but gotta love beneficials and predators, i was seriously impressed with the damage they did for me :)
nematodes-attack.jpg

some nematodes in action on a gnat maggot
-Cheers

V

VonDank

Dunks will keep em in check at best. Dunks are BT, while Microbe lyft is BTI. Dunks, especially if you have a large grow going get fairly expensive.
Check out Miroble Lyft online. It last forever, dirt cheap, safe, and way more effective.
For 30 bucks or so, you're set for a few years...Even if you're running 50 lights. Just be sure they're not aphid flyers, so put up a few slices of sticky traps

V

VonDank

We use microbe lyft in all of our facilities. In my personal grows I use dunks.
Dunks will keep em in check at best. Dunks are BT, while Microbe lyft is BTI. Dunks, especially if you have a large grow going get fairly expensive.
Check out Miroble Lyft online. It last forever, dirt cheap, safe, and way more effective.
For 30 bucks or so, you're set for a few years...Even if you're running 50 lights. Just be sure they're not aphid flyers, so put up a few slices of sticky traps
Thank you for the reply Tasty. We use microbe lyft in all our commercial facilities along with Regalia as our preventative SOP's. My personal grows get crushed Dunks. I've never had a gnat since my first use years ago. They work fantastic but thank you for bringing up the microbe lyft for others to read so they have options such as ditomateous earth or layer of growstone gnatmix or even nematodes as you said. Few ways to kill the larvae or pupae of the gnats.

xeamonk

xeamonk

Yea or nay?

Plant condom:

nylon nut milk bag, zip tie, fiberglass screen, sand.

under the sand is fine mesh solar screen *cut to fit the inside diameter of the pot and covered in sand. *oversized and kerfed/slotted

I applied 10 million nematodes about 2 weeks ago, currently using yellow stickies and microbe-lift bti. Infestation is controlled but not eliminated. yet.

any thoughts on this design? kinda freaking desperate if you ask me but hell ill do anything at this point. it isnt as weird as DWC, is it?

the sand i used is called "high desert sand" i think its silica sand? anyone ever use this type of sand before? it foamed up a ton (some for sure) when i washed it, no clue what that was....

-Cheers

IMG 20171030 2143291
IMG 20171030 2147051
IMG 20171030 2148301
Last edited:
Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Microb lyft. In a week, if you see any, ya might have aphids. Put a potatoe on the surface. If the wings are longer than body, 2 pipes out the ass, more aggressively fly to light, and deficiencies. I don't know if you've had em before, but they'll destroy your crop.
1 2 3 ponds for Microb Lyft (or lift * forgot spelling)

xeamonk

xeamonk

Ive been looking for aphids and all I can find is fungus gnats. at least by my ID, wings not longer than the body but they do have two protrusions on the tail, like hooks kind of... im pretty sure i saw one laying an egg with them... real disgusting.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Yeah, gnats. Microbe lyft will end em fast. VERY powerful. 1 small drop a gallon. It's meant for ponds, but organic, cheap, and works (wont harm the plant) !!!! It's not BT like the dunks. It's BTI
Check it out.

xeamonk

xeamonk

yup i got a bottle last year actually and i have been using it (for about 2 weeks now)at a rate of 3-5 drops per gallon. i guess one drop is enough, anyways im still seeing gnats, however, i gave up on it last time after two weeks and have heard that you really need to use it for at least that long to account for variations in the life cycle and generational overlap. at this point (past few days) i have only seen a few and i wonder if they are coming in from somewhere (anywhere) still or if they are still kicking in my pots. if so, these are some tough lil bastards ill give them at least credit for that.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Strange. I had none in 9 days.
Is your plant suffering?
If ya can send a pic of the ass. It could be a different type of gnat, or aphid?
In Col, and the NE it's got the gnats everytime.
Aphids SUCK!!

xeamonk

xeamonk

yeah man, my plants were getting bad, for various reasons but the gnats were causing visible damage in the leaves. necrotic spots, curling and dying, yellowing all around, slow growth and lack of vigor for sure. they are all doing so much better as of the last week and especially now, they look ok and are resuming more regular, healthy growth.

im going to lay new traps tonight and see what the deal is tomorrow. im hoping i dont see a aphid, that would explain some things... i could go ON about my grow but im having some issues. last round was a breeze, even beat the gnats. idk why i cant this time.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Yeah, either you have both, a REAL bad gnat infestation, or both.
Put a potatoe on the rim, or under the sand. They'r attracted to potatoes.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Spinosad is good stuff, but the Microbe was the only thing that's ever gotten rid of them, although I'd stay on it every 2 weeks or so.
If you really want to get rid of them for good, ya gotta do it in veg. Uf you use an imid, you eradicate them.
Although fungas gnats don't do too much damage on thier own, the will spead disease.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Nothing comes up when searching "microbe lyft" except gibberish on Google

Im.always looking for a cheaper alternative to promis. Which works flawlessly.

Leew421

Leew421

I made a heavy mix of water and 90% iso. Dropped those bitches like a bad habbit.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I made a heavy mix of water and 90% iso. Dropped those bitches like a bad habbit.
Dam, yeah tbat will kill em lol. If you didn't see any noticeale damage to the plant, you have your ratio perfect. If it works, can't argue. Did you treat thr rootd the next day?
I do not believe in additives with 2 exceptions (hydro) Drip clean, and Roots excel. Roots is so good, i don't need rooting hormones.
For thoes who spend a fortune on rooting gel, look into dip n grow. By far the best rooting agent. 10 bucks will make at least 2000 clones.

brazel

brazel

I use microbe lift bti too!
I like the mosquito bits over the mosquito dunks but the microbe lift is my fav. I like it cuz it's a liquid I just water in... easy
I also use yellow sticky cards and
Predatory insects.

I don't over water, I don't underwater and I don't have wet dry Cycles. I keep a constant moisture.

My top 1-2" is mulch which is pretty much
Decay, mold and fungi central!
It's basically a beacon to fungus gnats saying hey Disneyland is right here come and play.

I'm always ready for them thou! I'm fighting against them before they even show up!

Top Bottom