Fungus Gnats?

• Thread starter somethingwit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
somethingwit

somethingwit

So, again. First time indoor grower (well first time to grow at all). One thing that I have noticed was the fungus gnats that just appeared. I did take a look at their pictures in one of the Infirmary threads, but they are some good close up pictures of the gnat lol. All I really see is a bunch of these bugs flying around, and everyonce in a while they land on a or near a plant.

Right now, I am still waiting on my inline fan, ducting, and all of that, so I am kind of left with leaving my tent open in the front at least half way just to get some of the humidity vented out. (I did notice that when humidity jumps, so does the number of flying gnats.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions other than completely sealing my growing area, since I can't do that until the fans and everything come in.

Thanks ya'll.

Freshone

Freshone

Get some yellow sticky cards to catch as many as possible,also get some mosquito dunks (BT/Bacillus thuregensis)and water them in to break the lifecycle.Try using the BT every week for 3-4 weeks until you get control of them.Playbox sand on top of your soil helps while your trying to get rid of them.
Good luck!

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

1.) Blow air over soil

2.) Treat top layer of soil with Neem oil

3.) Apply diatomaceous earth.

4.) Put out yellow sticky traps
You want to put these wherever you see tons of gnats. This will both bring down their numbers and help you know when you’ve beaten them for good. When it stays completely clean for a day or two, you know the infestation is gone!

Get Yellow Sticky Traps

Fungus gnat larvae eat fungus or decaying matter and need wet conditions to thrive. It is common for soil growers to overwater their cannabis plants, and wet soil is the perfect home for fungus and decaying organic matter. After fungus has grown (often invisible to the naked eye) or overwatered matter has begun to decay in the topsoil, fungus gnat lays their eggs in the top layer of wet soil.

Warm + wet topsoil = fungus gnats (and other problems or pests in soil)

M

MamaBear

I had the worst fungus gnat infestation I've ever seen last year. Do everything Mabley says and you'll be good.
I also switched to bottom watering - keeps that top layer of soil really dry. They sure don't want to lay eggs in dry soil full of DE and Neem.
A few gnats are no big deal, until they start breeding. Best to deter them before they have a population explosion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom