Gave my flowering Blue Dreams 18 hours of light by accident...am I fucked?

• Thread starter snappy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

snappy

I have 1 room setup as a perpetual grow with the vegetative area in a closet and the flowering area in a tent right outside of that. Normally the tent is closed and the closet is closed so the 2 areas are kept separate from eachother and there's no light pollution when the veg lights stay on for an extra 6 hours.

Well last night after I was done working in the room, I left the main doors to the tent open and the doors to closet cracked on each side. Now my flowers lights turn off at 6am, but the veg lights in the closet stay on till 12 noon after that. So from 6am to 12 noon this morning my flowers received an extra 6 hours of light by accident.

The closet is full of Flouro rigs. So the light isn't super intense but the flowers were definitely getting some light for 6 hours. How bad is this for the flowers and will it fuck them up and reduce yield significantly? I can't see any signs of stress yet but it's only been 2 hours since the lights shut off so I'm assuming any negative effects won't set in for a day or 2.

Just hoping to hear that someone else has had this happen by accident and everything worked out fine. Let me know your experience and anything I can do to help reduce the stress on my flowers.

thanks

ybooord

ybooord

I did something very similar to this a few weeks back, except i left my timer override on, on one of my 1000w hps lights for an extra 6 hours in week 2 in flower. I asked a guy my local hydro store, and he said don't even worry about it and that they should be fine, but I changed the timer temporarily that night to come on 12 hours later from when I noticed, and it seemed to be fine. So basically my lights run from 7pm-7am, but then the next night I didn't have them come on until 1am (12 hours later from when I noticed and turned them off) then meshed back in into the 7pm-7am routine the following night. I wouldn't be telling you this, except for I'm in week 4 now and my ladies look better than ever, with no signs of hermies or anything. I'd just make sure they'd still get another 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness and I'd like to say they'd be okay! Good luck man!!

S

snappy

Yeah I was thinking of keeping the lights off until 12 midnight so they got another full 12 hours of dark after their 18 hours of light. And then ramping it back 1 hour per day over the next 6 days. Sounds like it worked for you so I think I'll do the same! Thanks for the help

justsomeguy

justsomeguy

i've gotten the advice that it takes 3 straight short nights to fuck up your flower. i had to open a tent a few weeks ago in the dark cycle because the temps were way too high and i wanted to unplug the dehumidifier. no problems yet.

toxichippie

toxichippie

anytime i mess up my lighting schedule(ie too much light/not enough darkness) ill give them 12 solid hours of darkness. seems to me it works.

Chobble

Chobble

I have 1 room setup as a perpetual grow with the vegetative area in a closet and the flowering area in a tent right outside of that. Normally the tent is closed and the closet is closed so the 2 areas are kept separate from eachother and there's no light pollution when the veg lights stay on for an extra 6 hours.

Well last night after I was done working in the room, I left the main doors to the tent open and the doors to closet cracked on each side. Now my flowers lights turn off at 6am, but the veg lights in the closet stay on till 12 noon after that. So from 6am to 12 noon this morning my flowers received an extra 6 hours of light by accident.

The closet is full of Flouro rigs. So the light isn't super intense but the flowers were definitely getting some light for 6 hours. How bad is this for the flowers and will it fuck them up and reduce yield significantly? I can't see any signs of stress yet but it's only been 2 hours since the lights shut off so I'm assuming any negative effects won't set in for a day or 2.

Just hoping to hear that someone else has had this happen by accident and everything worked out fine. Let me know your experience and anything I can do to help reduce the stress on my flowers.

thanks

I have a similar problem atm. Its why I hate my indoor, Its a love hate kind of thing.

Dont make this mistake again, and hopefully if your genetics are strong. You'll be good.

Chobble

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I don't think you should have a problem as long as they get 12 hours of complete darkness. A few weeks ago my plants were in there 5-6 week of flower and I left my closet door open. When my girlfriend got home from work she turned on the bedroom light and that interruption of the dark cycle caused them to reveg for a week then I got them back in flower mode and cut them down last saturday. They still came out good but they were not as heavy as I like due to revegging instead of packing on weight like they are suppose to the last few weeks of flower.

The point of this story is as long as they have there 12 hours of darkness they should be fine. Since my plants had that light hit them in the middle of the dark cycle it fucked them up. So keep giving them the needed dark cycle and if they do reveg (which I don't think they will) it's not hard to tell. Your gonna have stems start growing from the top of the buds and leaves growing from the stems. Good luck.

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

One time should not be an issue, I still wonder though man outdoors the Full moon is damn bright and it doesn't mess those up. A constant leak I can see,but even a few times I don't think it will revert but I'm still new at this ;)

catdaddy

catdaddy

from the little experience i have, you should be straight. when i had a partner he use to change the light schedule every other week and not one seed was found in the buds.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I was told anything dimmer than full moonlight is OK for the plants. Kinda makes sense.

outwest

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
you will be fine if it was only a 1 time slip up. its very minor just try your best to not let it happen again. i have gone through so many differnt light fuck up scenarios, from power outages to timers not turning off lights for 3 days. everything works itself out. if you have real sensitive plants and the lights are turning on when they shouldnt for periods of time, you could end up with some hermies. but soemthing so minor you should be fine. i would worry about high temps and humidity more

sox

sox

I had a power issues at my new spot and it set my timers off for two days.
It looks like the light issues knocked my weight down around 25%, im at day 44 and it looks like day 25-35. Other than that no issues...no herms, i hope.
We will see....

odogodo

odogodo

One time should not be an issue, I still wonder though man outdoors the Full moon is damn bright and it doesn't mess those up. A constant leak I can see,but even a few times I don't think it will revert but I'm still new at this ;)

I have wondered about that too, regarding small light leaks into the room. Needs to be perfectly dark? Plants flowering outside at night are not in total darkness, especially on nights with a full moon and clear skies. Still, I'm afraid to test it and keep my flowering room as dark as possible.

Chobble

Chobble

I have wondered about that too, regarding small light leaks into the room. Needs to be perfectly dark? Plants flowering outside at night are not in total darkness, especially on nights with a full moon and clear skies. Still, I'm afraid to test it and keep my flowering room as dark as possible.

I have a small amount of light in my room as my Veg light is in the same room. Its really all about genetics. For Example my Larrys OG would hermie with that little light leak but my Strawberry Cough Won't. So guess which one I grow in there?

Just make sure 99% of the light doesnt reach your plants

Chobble

L

Lerxst

A big LOL to everyone pondering about the moonlight. The light from the moon is not a reflection of the suns light. The light from the moon does NOT caus photosynthesis. It’s actually cooler. Go outside on a full moon and measure the temperature in the full light ten in the shade. Unlike during a sunny day where you step in the shade to cool down. On a moonlight night it is colder in the moonlight than in the shade.

S

Shadystoner

No to all the above info about the moon except that it doesn’t cause photosynthesis...it does reflect the suns light and does NOT emanate cold light...?! Trippin’ homie.

Top Bottom