Gavita pro 600 / LEP 300 PLASMA test

• Thread starter theherbalizor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

I've seen dudes flowering the entire grow with MH and there wasnt a huge yield drop and those hardly have any reds in them. The LEP has much more red then an MH, and much more of a usable spectrum. So in my opinion... I think they would be great for flowering if the light was intense enough.

So a LEP to me, would be like a daylight colored CFL on steroids. I dont see how you could go wrong with a CFL on steroids... lol

Too bad you can't scale up CFL effectively, I feel the same way about 'em!

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
I used to love cfls, then I found ho t5.

Now I have LEP. Or should I say my ladies have LEP. I currently have a candle and the glowing cherry of my late night Chemdog D spliff to light my night.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I used to love cfls, then I found ho t5.

Now I have LEP. Or should I say my ladies have LEP. I currently have a candle and the glowing cherry of my late night Chemdog D spliff to light my night.

...and the soft glow of your computer screen... :winking0067:

321abc

I've seen dudes flowering the entire grow with MH and there wasnt a huge yield drop and those hardly have any reds in them. The LEP has much more red then an MH, and much more of a usable spectrum. So in my opinion... I think they would be great for flowering if the light was intense enough.

So a LEP to me, would be like a daylight colored CFL on steroids. I dont see how you could go wrong with a CFL on steroids... lol
Well we will soon see when Luxim releases the new more powerful version. Because the results of a current LEP stand alone does not deliver from what I have seen and read online.

Hope the OP decides to give flowering a shot with LEP alone. Would be good to confirm that result or offer a new standard.

E

Elite Nugs

Too bad you can't scale up CFL effectively, I feel the same way about 'em!

Im gonna get a 4'x8' sheet of plywood and wire and hot glue hundreds of CFL's to the board. Then flip it around and hang it like a reflector. lol. Scaled up CFL...

ttystikk

ttystikk

Im gonna get a 4'x8' sheet of plywood and wire and hot glue hundreds of CFL's to the board. Then flip it around and hang it like a reflector. lol. Scaled up CFL...

No way dude- do it like this: go to your local used building supply store, we have a Habitat for Humanity store locally, for instance- and pick up a bunch of old bathroom fixtures, the shiny ones with 4 or 5 lights in a row for like $2 apiece. Arrange them like ties on a railroad track, and then attach them to 'rails' of 1" x 2" strips. Wire them up (in parallel, not in series!), and voila!- instant CFL array, for stupid cheap compared to buying a T5! I've built two of them; one was 6 fixtures of 4 lights each, and the other was... yep... 5 x 5... roger that!

They're even tunable, as you can put CFLs of widely varying wattages and colors in them. I'd use them instead of 400W HID any day, because the light is much more evenly distributed and the bulbs never get hot enough to burn plants unless they're actually touching them.

E

Elite Nugs

No way dude- do it like this: go to your local used building supply store, we have a Habitat for Humanity store locally, for instance- and pick up a bunch of old bathroom fixtures, the shiny ones with 4 or 5 lights in a row for like $2 apiece. Arrange them like ties on a railroad track, and then attach them to 'rails' of 1" x 2" strips. Wire them up (in parallel, not in series!), and voila!- instant CFL array, for stupid cheap compared to buying a T5! I've built two of them; one was 6 fixtures of 4 lights each, and the other was... yep... 5 x 5... roger that!

They're even tunable, as you can put CFLs of widely varying wattages and colors in them. I'd use them instead of 400W HID any day, because the light is much more evenly distributed and the bulbs never get hot enough to burn plants unless they're actually touching them.

LoL... I was just joking... but maybe I will give that a shot some day. Sounds like it wouold be a pretty good veg light.

ttystikk

ttystikk

LoL... I was just joking... but maybe I will give that a shot some day. Sounds like it wouold be a pretty good veg light.

The growth rate achieved by this bargain basement CFL array will wipe that smirk right off your face, replaced by the ear to ear grin produced by strongly growing plants. The only sore point is your butt, where you'll be kickin' yourself knowing how much you spent on T5s, lol.

My pals who saw them nicknamed them the McGuyver lights, lol

E

Elite Nugs

Haha.. you were right about the grin.... Yeah... I've been thinking about messing around with something like that for a while. I just dont have the time I guess.

You should manufacture them and sell them to people like me....

ttystikk

ttystikk

Haha.. you were right about the grin.... Yeah... I've been thinking about messing around with something like that for a while. I just dont have the time I guess.

You should manufacture them and sell them to people like me....

LOL- you know, sillier ideas have made millions...

Ok this is what one looks like. Sometimes evil genius is deceptively simple, no?

McGuyver lit
McGuyver unlit
ttystikk

ttystikk

Theherbalizor; sorry 'bout the thread jack, if enough people are interested in this, I'll make a new thread for it.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes, if we can keep this to just the LEP / pro 600s that would be great,

Cheers guys.

whazzup

whazzup

Whilst the unit is rated as 300w, that is the power consumption, not light output.

The bulb it self is outputting around 180w I believe, whazzup can confirm this.
The light source itself is very efficient, but to get to that light in the process you have losses. Theere are the psu losses, the driver efficiency, the transmission losses and the emitter losses. As LEP evolves it will get more efficient. Don't count on a higher power lep to become available soon.

I know cba likes to stir things up but in reality there will not be (any) new model available on the market before August next year. There are not even final specs for a new emitter yeat and Luxim already changed the specs a few times. They show prototypes but they are not even near to pre production models. All our fixtures go through UL/CSA/CE/FCC etc. which is a long process too.

As for the flowering under LEP: the problem also you do not get enough IR on your crop. To compete with a 1000W lamp the calculation in micromoles is simple:

- 1000W Philips 400V Double ended: 2000 micromoles
- 300W LEP: 300 micromoles

So you would more look at SIX leps to compete with 1000W HPS. Some people though will get similar results using less LEP, because they do not use the highest efficiency 1000W lamps or(air cooled) reflectors. Companies that say the LEP is as efficient as a 1000W MH or even HPS do not know what they are talking about. That's bad product information to hype the product, like the LED manufacturers did a few years ago (and some still do that).

I attached the measurements of US lamps for example, compared to the philips (Ulbricht sphere measurements!). Remember that you need to multiply this with the efficiency of the reflector (for example the HR96 reflector used in this set-up does 96% which is the highest in the market).

cfls are really terrible lamps to use in reflectors. The shape of the lamp does not allow you to create optimal reflectors and there is a lot of losst light due to the shape of the lamp. T5 is the easiest lamp to produce a good reflector for as it comes to cfl. Being a very long light source is can only be used at close proximity and inverse square law does not apply: that starts working at about 5 times the distance of the maximum length of the light source. So with a 60 cm light source inverse square law starts working at about 3 meters.

Lamp comparison 21
ttystikk

ttystikk

Theherbalizor; sorry 'bout the thread jack, if enough people are interested in this, I'll make a new thread for it.

Done; find it here:

Again, apologies for the distraction. On with the LEP show!

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Cheers guys, great info whazzup.

Its that time of the week. Masterchef Australia on in the back ground and images uploaded.

On day 4 of 12/12 now. Lowered the lamps to around 18 inches.

Temps running at 26-27 deg c lights on, 21 deg lights off.

Now getting dripped 4 x in a 12 hour period and ec at 1.4, Will up ec to around 1.6 in a few days as a few are starting to pale ever so slightly. Chemdog D showing its 'thing' since throwing the hps on, as expected.

Main things I have noticed so far is how stocky the plants are. The stems are like that of a good 6-8 week vegged plant. Not that of one vegged for 30 days under 200w of light x 9 plants over 1.5 m.

Shots, day 4

gavitatestday4_1_.JPG

gavitatestday4_2_.JPG

gavitatestday4_3_.JPG

gavitatestday4_4_.JPG

gavitatestday4_5_.JPG

gavitatestday4_6_.JPG

waayne

waayne

theherbalizor this is a really intriguing thread.

I'm really looking forward to seeing those beauties in flower

They look really healthy and happy :rock

C

calbunn

Great thread Been sitting on the sidelines and learning alot

Is this video the same technology as the Gavita?

side by side comparison grow of a 1000 watt HPS vs 420 inda-gro induction plasma. He brought one strain in 5 weeks early and better dry weight. has anyone out there heard of these or used them?

comments?

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Thank you.

No. Those lights are really just a modified t5. There light is produced by electronic induction as apposed to a current been run thru the bulb as in a standard t5. Kind off like if you get a strip light and stand near an over head pylon, the strip lights up. Same tech.

The LEP is very different, this uses a luxim bulb which is about the size of a tic tac. This gets excited by radiation from a MAGNATRON and emits light.

Similar in principal but not in tech nor outcome.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Ok, So day 10 flower update.

Not much to report other than the plants are continuing on on the super growth and health. May hit them up with calmag at somepoint to sort the Chemdog D out. Only one is being funny with the mosaic growth.

Every thing on 1.4-1.6 ec. Dripping for 7 minutes a drip now. Prob going to raise to 8 mins. These girls are drinking loads. The whole tent is full to the brim.

Once days 14-21 are upon me, depending on strains I shall remove all lower growth and thin out to the strongest branchs. Do a final bend and train and lower down the support net.

Until then I shall continue with my daily quest of breaking stems and making the plants bush. Although I am slowing in this now as I want some stretch.

Day 10

gavday10flower_1_.JPG

gavday10flower_2_.JPG

gavday10flower_3_.JPG

gavday10flower_4_.JPG

gavday10flower_5_.JPG

gavday10flower_6_.JPG

gavday10flower_7_.JPG

gavday10flower_8_.JPG

gavday10flower_9_.JPG

gavday10flower_10_.JPG

Top Bottom