Genetic Make-up of Northern Lights

• Thread starter Solidopc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shamus

Shamus

my older relative has had the same cut of NL since the mid/late 80's, it came from Wisconsin via canadian bikers, he didnt have a specific # with it, but hes been growing it ever since, and it sounds like it was the true original NL5 clone

it WAS pine, like a sappy ass pine cone n needles ground up in a coffee bean grinder. frosty as fuck and buds as big as my arms and legs. it was the first plant i grew

ill be getting it back, he was busted, but his sons ik had to give it out, as well as his homie who did indoors kept it around. ill scour the whole fuckin county if i have too.
i have to go over for a cup of coffee at some point here and figure out what exactly he knows about it, cause he sourced it before whoever you guys are saying originally did, neville er whatever. so i feel like if anyones gonna really know at all itd be him.

peace
ps: ive tried freiseland? er however its spelled, which is supposed to be one of the NL's right? well it didnt have shit on my fams cut

Last edited:
texasjack

texasjack

Why don't you ask classic he is on this forum?Pm him under Classic seeds and let him know you are asking about 1 of his strains and he will come fill you in.

SpiderK

SpiderK

Clackamas Coot ( B.O.E.L member/grower ) made some F2's in 1991 from the original sensi seed drop in 1988 of the N.L. 5 / Haze. Put them in cold storage & Gascanastan repopulated them in 20011. I just dropped a pack of the F3's into some water yesterday getting ready for summer.

Maybe track some seeds down from Gas in Washington State. Not sure what outlets but you can track him down on the net.

Picture 11
NL5H

E

Elsydro

That kind of pickles my head even more. As i thought there were 11 seeds originally. So how would #2 be a pure indica, but not #5 and the rest, or are they all pure indicas? Is there such a thing as a thai indica?

I'm interested most in whether it is infact a pure indica, or does have some sativa in its background. Thanks for the info though, really interesting.
I believe Nevil said number 2 was pure Kush strain, others had Thai in it so I’d say it had some sativa for sure, #5 was backctossed to the afghani from what I understand

NGA

NGA

NL was first strain I ran 30 odd year ago man wish I had cuts from her ,big ass bud man ,main colas 2 feet long bigger round 2 litre bottle , nice strain

william76

william76

Yea,nevs 5 isnt the same as the american 5,he found it in seeds he made from the original cuts,he sed the american 5 may hav thai in it but his 5 was all indica.wish it was around still,sigh!.76

R

rollinfunk

From another forum. Not my post. He does contradict himself on the sativas used? nepal and thai got switched around.

Originally Posted by NL Seattle Greg

Aloha,

The base plants for the entire Seattle Northern Lights strains 1 to 10 was a batch of seed sent from Afghanistan that ended up in Herbie's employers hands who just happened to be an old friend from High School so I was able to get four seeds. Then I started doing seed crops of the pure Indica and crossing it with other strains from Nepal, Mexico, and Columbia.

I had clones and seed and NL#5 was Hawaiian x Steve Murphy's Afghani Strain that is what I sent to Nevil. Steve Murphy owned The Indoor Sun Shoppe in Seattle. NL #5 was a F1 hybrid in 1982.

Northern lights # 1 was Nevils Afghani crossed with the Seattle Afghan strain form Steve Murphy.

I have been breeding since 1970 and he got NL from me. I sent seed to Ben and Kees at Sensi too for giving me the nutrient formula for Grodan and Seattle water.

The 11 strains were graded by height and flavor for indoor growing. The #1 was a short phenotype pure Indica from Afghanistan as was #2,3, & 4. #5 to #11 were the Hybrids with the narrow leaved strains we worked with.

The 11 packets of seed Nevil received were graded the #1 ,2, 3, were 100% indica, #5 the clone I traded Herbie Nelson for was 50% Afghani & 50% Hawaiian sativa. The others #6-#11 were crosses with Columbian, Thai, and Mexican Sativas. Nevil then sold out to Ben, became partners with Arjan, and then hooked up with the Mr. Nice Crew.

william76

william76

Even so,nevs nl5 was found in seeds he made from the originals,and was pure indica,neville said the american 5 did have some sat in it whereas his didnt,its all on the same forum that the above was found on if u read a bit further on.76

M

mendel

Good stuff fellers, id give my left nut for a hundred legit nl #2 seeds. I fucked up so bad in the day, not stockpiling them beans.

S

Starfire08

I have Mel's 1989 Northern lights #5 (Neville's NL#5 BX8) x NL#5 mother) and Neville's (pre Sensi) 1988 Northern lights 5 x 2. These make up my Starfire project, a project to bring back Real NL genetics.

S

Starfire08

The most powerful smoke I ever had came from a Northern lights from Florida. That shit hit me like an asteroid, I felt like I morphed into the couch. The smoke was so powerful that it had a hallucination effect to it, We called it Time Warp. The Bud were hard as a brick, the size of golf balls and pinecones with a really strong fruity musk smell

MrT1983

MrT1983

my older relative has had the same cut of NL since the mid/late 80's, it came from Wisconsin via canadian bikers, he didnt have a specific # with it, but hes been growing it ever since, and it sounds like it was the true original NL5 clone

it WAS pine, like a sappy ass pine cone n needles ground up in a coffee bean grinder. frosty as fuck and buds as big as my arms and legs. it was the first plant i grew

ill be getting it back, he was busted, but his sons ik had to give it out, as well as his homie who did indoors kept it around. ill scour the whole fuckin county if i have too.
i have to go over for a cup of coffee at some point here and figure out what exactly he knows about it, cause he sourced it before whoever you guys are saying originally did, neville er whatever. so i feel like if anyones gonna really know at all itd be him.

peace
ps: ive tried freiseland? er however its spelled, which is supposed to be one of the NL's right? well it didnt have shit on my fams cut
Hi Shamus my name is Chris, I was reading this and it sounds like the cut of Northern Lights I've been trying to locate for quite a few years. None that come from Sensi Seeds, Mr. Nice Seeds or the other breeders/banks have the overwhelming pine needle taste and smell. I would love to get a few seeds or clones from your guy, if you could help me I would greatly appreciate it. I don't expect anything for free and will gladly work out some sort of deal. I am a breeder myself and want to use it as the backbone on which a few of my newer strains will be built. I am going to be starting a company once my inventory is built and will gladly hook you up then too. I've grown tons of NL5x Haze and they aren't even close to the original. Let me know what you think, and thanks for your time

MrT1983

MrT1983

I have Mel's 1989 Northern lights #5 (Neville's NL#5 BX8) x NL#5 mother) and Neville's (pre Sensi) 1988 Northern lights 5 x 2. These make up my Starfire project, a project to bring back Real NL genetics.
I'd love to get my hands on that 1988 Northern Lights you got. If you wanna trad some beans let me know... Thanks

NedReynolds

NedReynolds

I had to cut this to check it... it is a little early yet.

Seedsman NL x BB Ryder Auto

NLAuto1
eLSyDro25

eLSyDro25

Does anybody know for sure what the genetics of the original 11 NL seeds are?

Is NL a pure indica, i.e containing no sativa at all?

Is there any real evidence anywhere as to what genetics NL really contains?

On the sensi website it is called a "pure indica", on seedsman website, its called an afghani/skunk/haze, somewhere else it's said it contains thai.

What is the deal with all this? Does anybody really know the genetics of NL? Or are all wrtie ups just guesses, or the opinion of the breeder?

I find it hard to believe anyone can call it "pure" anything when there is so little info.

And who actually has the real cuts? Are they widespread in Holland now? Or are sensi and a few others the only ones with the originals?

Anyone with any info on this subject, please chip in. I'm very interested. I'd like to know what makes up this famous variety, and why the information about it is so diluted.

Peace. Solid.

Breeder syndicate has done several interviews with the original breeder(s) and Greg went over in detail 1,2, and 5 and touched briefly on the others, specifically nl5 was nl1x Hawaiian(which was a columbian), and the higher the # taller the plant and more sativa leaning

E

Edinburg

NL is an indica dom plant, a beginner friendly strain that lets most rookie mistakes slide within reason, on the large side, thca about 15 percent, I grew it and still have beans but I don't like it, not high enough thca.

Latest posts

Top Bottom