Getting Old Seeds to Pop?!?

• Thread starter John Ditchweed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
daliwarpaint

daliwarpaint

hey Afghangrower what amendments do you use cause i also have had luck popping straight into coco but i never can seem to feed them soon enough thanks

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I always keep my seeds in the fridge never the freezer. I soak all my beans in regular water but add H2O2. The H2O2 does na number of things;

increases germanation rate!
kills any bacteria
helps make the plants drought proof, (they last longer with little moisture)
Removes the water proof coating (as opposed to sand paper)

Here is a link for using H2O2 in your garden

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

L

lovelump

I know this happens to all of us far to often but over the years i have traded/bought many seeds just to put them in my collection and never have time for them. What tricks or chemicals can you use to help make old beans pop. I'm talking 5+ years old cause i'm getting 2-4 out of 10 right now with some older stuff I finally have time and space for. Sucks because alot of money seesm to have been wasted not to mention the lose of good genetics
i know. you need a 5% solutionon of H202, the 3% gear. and soak them. for a couple of hours
and you can use that on 30+ yr old. seeds. ive done it with columbian seefds that wont pop.i actually have a link! FROM ,MONSTER GARDENS , lemme know + ill try + shoot it to. you:-)
peace.
space

L

lovelump

I know this happens to all of us far to often but over the years i have traded/bought many seeds just to put them in my collection and never have time for them. What tricks or chemicals can you use to help make old beans pop. I'm talking 5+ years old cause i'm getting 2-4 out of 10 right now with some older stuff I finally have time and space for. Sucks because alot of money seesm to have been wasted not to mention the lose of good genetics
i know. you need a 5% solutionon of H202, the 3% gear. and soak them. for a couple of hours
and you can use that on 30+ yr old. seeds. ive done it with columbian seefds that wont pop.i actually have a link! FROM ,MONSTER GARDENS , lemme know + ill try + shoot it to. you:-)
peace.
space

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Uh, could that be the video I've got posted above, lovelump? I've hit them up about the kit, too, and it's not yet available. Jeez!

Shamus

Shamus

DAMN YOU @Thoth !
lol i took the time to watch seas video and you swept in with my comment.
great minds think alike aey?
but yeah gibrillic acid is your key to success imo.. suspend ga3 in the sugar water solution part in that video.
nnn BAM

neverbreak

neverbreak

usin h2o2 sounds like a good trick. i know ya can use it on species which have hard seed coats n in-built dormancy, but never thought about it for canna.

ga3 can certainly help, but too much n the seedlings will shoot up, keel over n die.

neverbreak

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Here's a lil' something might interest u:

Abstract:
Homogeneous stands can be obtained with the use of seaweed extracts on seeds, providing
better establishment in the field and reducing losses in the production. The objective of this study was to
evaluate the effects of Ascophyllum nodosum extract on the germination, vigor and early development of ‘Alvorada’ bean seeds. The seeds were immersed in a solution containing A. nodosum extract at a concentration of 0.8 mL L for 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes. For comparison, some seeds were also soaked
1 in water for 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes and seeds that received no treatment (control) were also evaluated.
Germination tests in paper roll and sand were performed to evaluate the dry mass and percentage of
normal seedlings and the speed index of germination and emergence. Seeds soaked in seaweed extract
showed the percentage of normal emerging seedlings higher than the control (28.45%,
p <0.0001), regardless the time of immersion. However, only seeds immersed in seaweed extract for 15 minutes exhibited speed index of emergence higher than control (8.61%, p =0.0157). It is concluded that the vigor of ‘Alvorada’ bean seeds are increased after immersion in solution with extract of A. nodosum for 15 minutes, due to the increase in number of seedlings, which establish potentially in the field and
reduce the emergence time.

I have some of this kelp in powder and will try but I need rubbish old seeds, don't want to try on my Beatrix Choice and Nl#5xHz :)
I read some use this to root cut with great success.

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Here's a lil' something might interest u:

Abstract:
Homogeneous stands can be obtained with the use of seaweed extracts on seeds, providing
better establishment in the field and reducing losses in the production. The objective of this study was to
evaluate the effects of Ascophyllum nodosum extract on the germination, vigor and early development of ‘Alvorada’ bean seeds. The seeds were immersed in a solution containing A. nodosum extract at a concentration of 0.8 mL L for 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes. For comparison, some seeds were also soaked
1 in water for 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes and seeds that received no treatment (control) were also evaluated.
Germination tests in paper roll and sand were performed to evaluate the dry mass and percentage of
normal seedlings and the speed index of germination and emergence. Seeds soaked in seaweed extract
showed the percentage of normal emerging seedlings higher than the control (28.45%,
p <0.0001), regardless the time of immersion. However, only seeds immersed in seaweed extract for 15 minutes exhibited speed index of emergence higher than control (8.61%, p =0.0157). It is concluded that the vigor of ‘Alvorada’ bean seeds are increased after immersion in solution with extract of A. nodosum for 15 minutes, due to the increase in number of seedlings, which establish potentially in the field and
reduce the emergence time.

I have some of this kelp in powder and will try but I need rubbish old seeds, don't want to try on my Beatrix Choice and Nl#5xHz :)
I read some use this to root cut with great success.

Soo....Soak for RAPID GERMINATION. .In seaweed extract for 15? Or? ?? Normally i use say....20% peroxide to my good ole 80% Ph'd tap and get tails in already a day. Sometimes sooner.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Soo....Soak for RAPID GERMINATION. .In seaweed extract for 15? Or? ?? Normally i use say....20% peroxide to my good ole 80% Ph'd tap and get tails in already a day. Sometimes sooner.

Yes thats what it says, soak for 15 minutes in the seaweed mix for rapid germination of seeds that doesn't need to be revived as old seeds do. For old seeds it's different. First, old seeds are often dry and the seeds have probably lost her food due to time. So for that the seed need to be revive by soaking them in seaweed mix for at least 24h with a temp that never goes under 25c. Then the seeds should be place in soil or jiffy's pre soaked in the seaweed mix. Using Ascophyllum nodosum allows u to use only seaweed. It contains everything from hormones to nutrients that are benefit for old seeds and to root clones or even to veg plant etc.

For old seeds that are hard to pop, try this:
Scuff the seeds, gently.
Soak them in seaweed mix for 24h at least, with a air stone, or oxygen source in the water container.
Place the seeds in a soil mix that contain Ascophyllum nodosum, and spray the top with a light Ascophyllum nodosum solution.
Place under a little greenhouse and keep the RH and the Temp HIGH (over 25c-75rh)
Open the lid once a day at least for a few minutes. Make sure no mold is growing up.

Hope this help...

Last edited:
L

lovelump

Ahaha. Thats the 1.lol. didnt look at the log really.but yea.thats it.lol cheers sea.
Uh, could that be the video I've got posted above, lovelump? I've hit them up about the kit, too, and it's not yet available. Jeez!

L

lovelump

Truth is what ever people decide to say ehX-(←.lol. people say one thing and do another.fuck.I HAVE! ONLY CUS I REALISED SOMEONE WAS ,TRYING TO RIP ME OF LIKE.LOL BUT YEA I LIKWE UR QOUTE.
I use peroxide as well..Full germination. .

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

I have a question. If beans were being stored unrefridgerated for a year or 2 would refridgerating them now be of any help in preserving them?

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
I have a question. If beans were being stored unrefridgerated for a year or 2 would refridgerating them now be of any help in preserving them?

I did it, and I'm germinating some right now. They stayed 2 year out of the fridge and 2 year in, so we will see, I'll update as soon as they pop. They are soak in a kelp solution for now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom