Getto trees

• Thread starter gettogro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gettogro

Thanks fo all the support guys. I really I hope I can pull this gro off. If I fail so be it.. Look at how cool tubes are suposed to work.
SANY00223.JPG

I realy hope this little sprout is just the begining of an awesome harvest. HF one day and h2o2 the other....

SANY00234.JPG
SANY00194.JPG

I

G

gettogro

SANY00254.JPG

After doing some more reading on the bacteria blooms. I have decided to give EWC Tea a try. It seems to be the magic bullet for DWC.

Here is some good info that convinced me

Its from Hiesenberg of another website

When a clear snot forms on roots in a DWC, and the normal course of treatment for root disease doesn't work, you probably have something called brown slime algae, which actually isn't algae at all, but a cyanobacteria. It loves oxygen and doesn't need light to grow. It doesn't care if your res is chilled or not. Safe levels of H202 slows it a bit but doesn't cure it. It can show up for DWC growers for no apparent reason even after years of successful grows. Once it shows up it's often a nightmare to get rid of. It WILL eventually spread to other DWC tubs, although it almost never gains a foothold on older well developed healthy plants/roots.

Several root conditions will cause a slimy build up; doesn't mean you have the brown slime. Common root disease is almost always caused by improper res conditions, and they improve greatly when those conditions are corrected. This isn't true of the slime. When to suspect brown slime algae is when you are doing everything right and still can't get rid of it. People who get this try the normal stuff... More bubbles in the water, cool res temps, and h202 treatments. The slime may appear to be gone at first, but comes back strong in as little as 12-36 hours. It starts out subtle like a clear coating of mucus on the roots with no odor. Plants often still appear healthy for a while, but all root production stops. In a very short time it will cover the entire root base and become thicker and sometimes turns yellow. Eventually it strangles the roots which causes pythium to set in, and at that point turns brown and finally has an odor.

The treatment is to clean up and sterilize the root base, and then populate the water with beneficial microbes. Simply running a continuous sterilizing agent such as SM-90, Zone, ect will almost certainly end with the slime as the winner. Some people have had luck running bleach or physan 20 continuously in the water, but most do not want there plants soaking in these particular chemicals. Making a microbe tea is cheap and easy, and IMO the proper way to fight this slime in a perpetual DWC garden.

Clean up the root base as well as possible. Best thing to do, if you can, is hold the plant over the sink and use the sprayer to vigorously rinse the roots, trying to get all the dead roots and gunk to slough off. It's OK to spray 3% h2o2 solution directly onto the roots at this point. It's also okay to give the dying roots a slight tug to see if they come off. Now let the roots soak in a strong h202 solution, or a mixture of whatever sterilizing agent you have. Physan 20 works great. This is a good time to sterilize any equipment and give the res a good scrub. After a few hours, no more than 12, of soaking in the solution rinse the roots really really well again, prepare a fresh res, and inoculate the res with beneficial microbes. Wait another 12 hours before adding nutes.

Once the slime is gone be sure to practice proper res maintenance, which includes keeping any type of organic material out of the res. Trying to sterilize the res is often a losing battle. In fact, since most hydro products fail to kill this stuff, when you sterilize the water you are removing all competing microbes except this one. There are people who use RO filters and then run their water through a UV sterilizer and still end up with the slime. The answer always seems to be beneficial microbes.

Below is my previous introduction to preparing and applying a microbe tea.

In DWC the roots sit in water constantly putting them at huge risk for disease. Some people have great luck using nothing at all. Others find sterilizing products keep their roots white, but a few of us have found that even with proper res maintenance and doing everything right, we still get a slimy build up on the roots. This is when a microbe tea can really make a difference by robbing the slime of housing, food, and actually attacking it.

By making a compost tea with a diverse selection of microbes you will have a super tonic for you res that will ward off nasty gunk and build up while at the same time keeping your roots stimulated and growing. Best of all it can be made for just pennies per batch.

Ok so we wont be starting from scratch. You have to buy a few products. But instead of using the products directly in the res, you will be breeding them in a tea. This way, you can use a fraction of the regular dose and make your products last much longer. Plus, you will end up with a freshly active tea that is more diverse than anything you can buy on the market.

Aquashield ($12) The product composition consists of: Bacillus subtilis, Paenibacillus polymxa, Bacillus circulans, and Bacillus amyloliquefaciens. This gives you a base population of beneficial bacteria. (Aquashield can be replaced by any inoculation that contains bacillus bacteria.)

ZHO Powder ($10) The product composition consists of: Glomus intradices, Glomus aggregatum, Glomus etunicatum, Glomus mosseae, Trichoderma harzianum, and Trichoderma koningii. This gives you a base populartion of beneficial fungi. (ZHO can be replaced by any inoculation that contains myco fungi)

Ancient Forest EWC ($14) - Soil amendment provides a high diversity of microorganisms, including more than 35,000 species of bacteria and over 5,000 species of fungi. (AF can be replaced by any earth worm casting)

EDIT* Mycogrow soluble is the cheapest and most diverse inoculant we have found. It can replace everything here except the ancient forest.

The recipe is really simple. Start with non-chlorinated water. I make 2 gallons at a time, but you can easily adjust the additives for whatever amount you wish to make. Now put the water into a bucket and throw in a couple air stones. The more air the better. You want the water to be almost turbulent from the bubbles. Now add 15-30ml of aquashield and about 1/4-1/2 scoop of the ZHO powder. You will be breeding these into the billions so it doesn't really matter how much you start with. Now take an old sock or pantyhose and fill it with about 2 handfuls of EWC. Tie off the sock and place it in the water above an air stone, or better yet, feed an air stone down into the sock itself. If you want, you can just throw the EWC directly into the water and strain it out later with cheesecloth. Next add about a tablespoon of molasses to wake up the microbes and give them something to eat. You could also use any sort of bud sweetener. We will only be feeding the microbes in this tea; never add food for the microbes to the res itself. It's okay if the bennies in the res starve. You will be replacing them every few days. Now let the tea bubble at room tempeture for 48 hours. It can be used after 24, but will be more active and diverse at 48. You can now store the tea in the fridge where it will stay fresh for about 10 days. Once it starts to go bad it will develop an odor. If you ever detect an odor from your tea, throw it out and make a new batch.

Initially, add about 1 cup to your res for every gallon of water, and then add 1 cup total every 3 days after. Your water might get a little cloudy but your roots will stay white and stimulated. When you use tea and practice proper res maintenance you can feel confident your roots will be healthy. By breeding the microbes this way your products should last about 5x longer. Once you have eradicated slime and simply want protection from future outbreaks, adjust the tea dosage to 1 cup per 10 gallons.

If you are interested in why the tea works, or what products you may use for substitution, continue reading the rest of the thread. It is a journey I took with others to learn a great more about the tea. If you want to see how I use this tea in a cloner

green punk

green punk

Getto: Your abilities to build and grow are enviable. Sucks your having water issues. The sludge looks pretty nasty almost like sewage.

I was given a product called Benefox. The stuff has some insane bacteria that helped out when I was recovering from a bad Root Aphid infestation. Very small set up (4x8 flood table 100 gal) The roots were slime and stunk bad. I put the benefox in at 10ml per gallon and in a few days new root growth and the res smelled normal.

I also use it in my fish tanks and I haven't had to clean them since I inoculated them with the stuff. 10 months

FWIW.

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

Thanks for the feedback and insights :-) good luck getto :-)

G

gettogro

That benefox sounds like the ewc tea in a bottle. I hope the tea works as well for me.

I have been doing some research on my uv sterilizers. It seems that the way I have been using them was pretty much a waste. What I have are 18 watt pond uv sterilizers. Running them inline with my UC pump was pushing the water way too fast through the uv and not giving the dose to kill anything other than pond green algee. Looking at other RO sterilizers the flow for a 20 watt uv is about 2 gallons per minuet to be effective at killing bacteria. So I put a ball valve on my getto uv pretreater and slowed the flow down to 1 gallon per minuet to treat all my RO water before I put it in any of my systems. Hopefully this will work much better at giving the water the proper dose to kill bacteria.

uv_dose_chart.png

This was a flow rate chart for a 20w sterilizer. SO by putting a uv sterilizer with a 400+ gallon per minuet isnt going to kill anything...

I have added the tea to both sides and I am just waiting to see some results. I am cautiously optimistic, Starting to see some new root shoots popping. Lets hope they make it..

Thanks for the feedback and insights :-) good luck getto :-)

Thanks, I will prevail

F

FromGROtoFLO

Wild setup...Problems like this are devistating, but its crazy the knowledge that is gained from endless nights of reading/research. Good luck man!

G

gettogro

Wild setup...Problems like this are devistating, but its crazy the knowledge that is gained from endless nights of reading/research. Good luck man!

Thanks man, I feel I have gained so much knowledge this past year, I thought I was the shit back in the day with a few Krusty style grows, now I have realized how much there is to learn growing MJ. I love it...

SANY00274.JPG

:banana1sv6:

619ster

619ster

Man you got some cool stuff going on here! Seems you're well acquainted with the ways of hydro. More so than ever with what you've been going through. But I hear ya on the things you learn through trials and tribulations. I just got through months of battling different probs in my growroom and got things completely turned around from what it was like, where most would have scrapped the whole thing and started fresh. Anyway, wanted to sub, and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to learn some more. Keep up the GREEN work bro!

S

Sixth Alchemist

I have been doing some research on my uv sterilizers. It seems that the way I have been using them was pretty much a waste. What I have are 18 watt pond uv sterilizers. Running them inline with my UC pump was pushing the water way too fast through the uv and not giving the dose to kill anything other than pond green algee. Looking at other RO sterilizers the flow for a 20 watt uv is about 2 gallons per minuet to be effective at killing bacteria. So I put a ball valve on my getto uv pretreater and slowed the flow down to 1 gallon per minuet to treat all my RO water before I put it in any of my systems. Hopefully this will work much better at giving the water the proper dose to kill bacteria.
l

ive used those uvs on ponds before, your right about moving alot of water a minute and not getting the job done. slowing them down works well, it just takes a while to do, imo you should pick up a few(5) more uv sanitizers. i know theyre pricey, but if you put them back to back and ran them for a bit it should work quite nicely. also its a safer way to treat the water. i had to put a few uvs back to back for the pond(900+gallons) and it took about a week to clear up, but it also turned the dead algae into decomposing matter(mud).

the way i ran them was a 450g/hr pump to uv-uv-uv-uv- back into the pond.

G

gettogro

I think Im done running the steril route. Having great results using the magic tea so far.

SANY00234.JPG
SANY00274.JPG

SANY00332.JPG
SANY00343.JPG

Looks like Ill be able to go 12/12 in a couple days
:party

G

gettogro

Seems that this ewc tea is the magic bullet for rwdc. I really wish I would have tried it sooner. Roots are packing on now, Ill be going 12/12 tomorrow. Plants are looking great, I just took a couple trays of clones for the next round. I added some tea to my cloning RW water as well.

Gallons of Zone, Hydro fungicide, UV filters, and H2o2, while they have saved me in the past, seem to be a huge waste of money now at over $100 a gallon. Looks I can do 2 full grows with the tea for around $100.

Ill be adding a gallon of tea to each 100 Gallon system every 3 days.

SANY00015.JPG

SANY00029.JPG

SANY00038.JPG

SANY00049.JPG

SANY00057.JPG

SANY00067.JPG

IMG_05623.JPG

g

dankworth

dankworth

Kickass research. Thanks for sharing. RDWC turned my hair grey, I had to bite everyone else's style and go to coco/perlite mixes and breed RA's for a bit. I love seeing someone triumph with water culture. Your room is the only reason I still think about going back to vert.
One of these enterprising and capable individuals around here should get some pollen from a cross of the white to that g13 of yours. I am picturing blingy football-sized faberge eggs. And you could decorate them with red globes and candy canes and shit around Christmastime, and take pictures and post them, and not even mention the decorations.

G

gettogro

SANY00216.JPG
SANY00235.JPG
SANY00244.JPG
SANY00255.JPG
SANY00224.JPG

Moving along nicely now. Looks like I could be in a over veg situation, be doing some pruning in a week or so, I wont even mention the P word.

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Way to go gettogro! Very nice work on bouncing back... :cool

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
yeah Really Nice lookin set up and ladies
That last pic is some of the prettiest roots I have ever seen
Very nice work.
Thats stuff is over my head for now.....
Hopefully some day I can grow like that.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Tea is the SHIT bro (no pun intended), and your DIY skills are mad proper.

Good luck on this run. What size is your bloom room?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
add alfalfa meal to your tea. tricontanol for the win!

PM me and I will send you something else for your magic tea.

G

gettogro

add alfalfa meal to your tea. tricontanol for the win!

PM me and I will send you something else for your magic tea.

Thanks for the info, Im going to stick to the recipe that I have to get through this run. Maybe try some modifications next round.

g

Top Bottom