Grafting On Plants

• Thread starter Icristal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Icristal

Icristal

Hi, not sure if this is the right place for this. If not someone please move it.

Here is the story and question. I was recently talking with a person about growing. He was telling me that his caregiver is a full time grower and loves to experiment. He said that he took a vine from a watermelon plant and then he sliced into the stalk of the MJ plant and slide the vine in. He said the mj plant drew in the sap inside the watermelon vine to give it flavor. He told me after smoking it it was just like eating a slice of watermelon.

Question, is this possible or was he just blowing smoke up my A$$ ????

Keep it clean all
Icristal

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

I don't have any real scientific breakdown of why, but I think thats extremely unlikely. Watermelon vines are more soft than cannabis, which is closer to a soft wood. Dunno maybe its possible to Frankenstein something like that and have the graft take but I'm pretty damn sure it won't just infuse the cannabis plant with watermelon flavor.

Icristal

Icristal

I don't have any real scientific breakdown of why, but I think thats extremely unlikely. Watermelon vines are more soft than cannabis, which is closer to a soft wood. Dunno maybe its possible to Frankenstein something like that and have the graft take but I'm pretty damn sure it won't just infuse the cannabis plant with watermelon flavor.

Thank you,,,I was like what??? lol But just had to ask,,,lol

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

I will have to call that a fable with a bit O camp fire tail to it...lol
Now you could talk to @Coir He has graphed his awesome tomatoes in a thread of his and it was Very informative with some very interesting and successful results but No I believe the Cannabis plant can be grafted to itself and barley stalks I am not positive on that but it must be of same family origin. More information will be available I am sure in time.
But its still great to think outside the 4x4 grow room I be digging the possibilities...
super hybrid Vibes
FlyJ

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
True story.

My buddy had the old school phototron he grew tiny buds in.
He took a 2 liter bottle with a cork ,filled with distilled water, a drop of Karo syrup and some natural peach flavoring; he then ran a needle and tread trough the cork and trough the stalk of the plant; then hung the bottle upside down like a freaking hospital iv drip Bottle..Then plant slowly absorbed that bottle Of peach sugar water.
The buds had a peach taste. It was undeniable.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

Grafting Heirloom Tomatoes by @Coir

I need to add this to:
when I 1st started on the Farm Coir's threads became required reading for me.
he is IMHO one of the best Growers I have seen
its guys like him and Texas Kid capulator just to name a few Tipz and Loompa
So many and dessert squirel are the ones who I have my growing education from
just my thoughts on it

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Hi, not sure if this is the right place for this. If not someone please move it.

Here is the story and question. I was recently talking with a person about growing. He was telling me that his caregiver is a full time grower and loves to experiment. He said that he took a vine from a watermelon plant and then he sliced into the stalk of the MJ plant and slide the vine in. He said the mj plant drew in the sap inside the watermelon vine to give it flavor. He told me after smoking it it was just like eating a slice of watermelon.

Question, is this possible or was he just blowing smoke up my A$$ ????

Keep it clean all
Icristal
I take everything with a grain of salt but underestimate no One.
Technically a grafted plant would have the same flowers as its mother , not a hybrid of the two plants grafted.

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

I thought I'd heard them all.

Icristal

Icristal

Thanks everyone for your reply. I know how to graft trees and rose bushes. But this hahaha who knows. I have to see it to believe it and taste it to believe it.
@ShroomKing cool story.
@FlyinJStable alway good information and help.
@rubthe nub lol me too

Kronikcowboy

Kronikcowboy

I've heard of Oregon growers grafting new vegging plant masses on a huge harvested outdoor girls root mass at the trunk but never seen it so.........? Anyone photos pls

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I commonly graft cannabis plants. I am currently trying to graft seed embryo's, but the ones that took ended up half male, half female. I was trying for a plant with the vigor of two plants, and different buds on both plants. Cops couldn't count it as two plants, because it only has one root mass. Just for fun really.

Calixylon

Calixylon

I know that for a graft to be succesfull the two plants must be somewhat related. I know hops can be grafted on to a marijuana plant or vice versa. Some folks back in the day were trying to hit a grey area with cannabis grafted onto a hops plant, and then therefore not technically growing cannabis, total bs, but hey ive seen dumber shit go on a technicality in the court rooms.

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

I've heard of people trying to graft long season sativas on to auto flower root stock, in theory
shortening up the bloom time. I remember the "hops" thing as well.

One of the few practical purposes I could see to grafting would be somebody want a bunch of different strains but limited by plant count. You could probably graft 4 or 5 (maybe more) different strains onto one root stock. With a 4 or 6 plant limit you could conceivably have 20+ different strains at harvest.

Calixylon

Calixylon

Yea i remember someone saying that they grafted a few cuts onto one plant and had a intresting looking plant, not sure how it all would work though. Wonder if the plants that are grafted take after the root stock or the cut thats been grafted on. I would assume that most of the plant hormones are triggered by the actual cut since thats whats directly controlled by light and tells the whole plant when its time to flower. But if people succesfully graft different types of bud onto one plant, and it actually works the root stock must cause some sort of affect.

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

IMO, the root stock won't have any affect.
They graft multiple fruits onto a single root stock all the time. I can't vouch for 'northern' type "multi fruit" trees but I know for a fact the citrus "multi fruit" tree we had in the back yard made 'normal' oranges, lemons and grapefruit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom