Grandaddy Purple Covers In Hairs During Vg

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
This is my first go with Grandaddy Purple...I'm used to growing the same strain for the last 30 years or so, but I decided to experiment. First off, the Purple is more like a shrub as far as density and growing shoots...it grows tall too, it is just very bush compared to my regular strain. The main thing that I've not seen before is the presence of a couple of the white hairs (Pistils?) during vegetative growth. I've seen one or two on occasion, but this thing is covered in them. Not like it's flowering or growing buds...it is very much in VG. Every new shoot typically has the pair of hairs. I've never seen anything like this unless it's flowering. Is this typical for this strain? I haven't been out of the 'hollow for quite a while and all of these new genetics is a bit much.
Any and all insights are most appreciated!

Palmettoman

Palmettoman

Mine does it, it’s pre-flowering. Idk if you’re growing inside but if you are once you flip the light cycle it will begin to bud fast.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

sometimes if strains have been left in a pot that's too small they can start to throw out loads of pistils in veg.wen up potted they start growing like reveg,s popping all sorts of small spindly shoots in all directions.can't say if that's what's happening here without pics.
just outta curiosity what strain is it youv been growing for 30 years?you gotta get yourself some og kush and cookies for your own personal.youv missed out on ALOT of totally superb,mega strong and super tastey varieties.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
To smoke the same strain for 30 years that’s dedication. I don’t think I could do that. I’ve grown tired of strains in just a few months if I don’t have other strains to break it up. What strain have you been growing for all that time?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
To smoke the same strain for 30 years that’s dedication. I don’t think I could do that. I’ve grown tired of strains in just a few months if I don’t have other strains to break it up. What strain have you been growing for all that time?

I'm not totally sure what the original strain was since the hobby was in it's infancy, I was told it was Manatuska, as it came from the oil pipeline workers, but it never had a name. I still have some original viable seeds that I can sometimes get to sprout, which is what I used for some of this cycle's candidates. The photo shows mostly my strain, which appears to be highly indica. Unchecked, it will reach 12 ft or more but works well when trained indoors. In the background center is a modern strain, Durban Poison.
BW...while I've been growing this same strain forever, I didn't say that that was ALL I enjoyed! :cool: I traded off with a circle of old timer, so everyone typically had a nice variety.

20180928 142304
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
sometimes if strains have been left in a pot that's too small they can start to throw out loads of pistils in veg.wen up potted they start growing like reveg,s popping all sorts of small spindly shoots in all directions.can't say if that's what's happening here without pics.
just outta curiosity what strain is it youv been growing for 30 years?you gotta get yourself some og kush and cookies for your own personal.youv missed out on ALOT of totally superb,mega strong and super tastey varieties.

These were given to me as clones, which were very compact and bushy. They appeared to be in re-veg mode from the get go, as opposed to a typical seed started one. I am used to finding the occasional pre flower on some plants, but not until they are pretty large and getting ready to go 12..but these are everywhere. Lots of smaller buds but not many bigger ones...reminds me of the Puna buds of old.
I've tried a lot of the new strains, and while many of them are great, it is getting to the point that a pure strain is as rare as hen's teeth. I posted a picture in this thread somewhere showing some of my strain. Mostly Indica of my strain, but a few others thrown in as well.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
How’d you sprout a 30 year old seed?!
The same way I have always done...a ziplock baggie, a sheet or two of paper towels, a little water, and sit it on top of something a little warm..and pray! A lot of them are no longer viable, and some that do sprout are deformed, but probably 25% of them still work out. Stored the seeds in a pill bottle in my dresser drawer.

Madbud

Madbud

The same way I have always done...a ziplock baggie, a sheet or two of paper towels, a little water, and sit it on top of something a little warm..and pray! A lot of them are no longer viable, and some that do sprout are deformed, but probably 25% of them still work out. Stored the seeds in a pill bottle in my dresser drawer.
I read shaking them in a tube of sandpaper and then using coconut water improves the %. I got a baggie full, i’ll try some next spring.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter

Here is a closeup of the GDP with it's plethora of Pistils: Please pardon any dark/light bands in the pics...something about the lights and my camera.

20181002 143127
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Looks normal to me. Some strains show preflowers more than others.

Madbud

Madbud

Looks like its still revegging, lots of trimming and extra work ahead

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Looks like its still revegging, lots of trimming and extra work ahead

It has grown like this since it was 6" tall, with 18 or 19 hr cycles. In about 7 or 8 weeks it has grown very nicely and I keep everything low and wide due to height restrictions, but this one has had pistils on it since day 1. The last run I had the same plants but they weren't pre-flowering like this, although it was every bit as bushy. I HATE trimming plants like this...like pruning a sagebrush!
I loked at the Durban Poison that I was given as a clone by the same source, and it has a notable number of pistils too, although not near as many as the GDP. All the others are great with no surprises, yet. Maybe the clones were kept too long in the original pint starter pot. I typically restart from seed unless I happen to be the recipient of a clone. Having a bush compared to the older styles I'm used to makes the harvest a pain in the ass to anticipate.

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

@Jimster if I may ask, how many weeks are expended with the Manatuska strain from flower to harvest? And does the length of time ever vary? 30 years is quite a long time to grow one strain.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
@Jimster if I may ask, how many weeks are expended with the Manatuska strain from flower to harvest? And does the length of time ever vary? 30 years is quite a long time to grow one strain.

I always completed everything in a 5-6 month run from seed to finish. These grow huge if given the chance, especially outside. Years back we had a grow with 14' ceilings a 2x 1000 MH. They were over 10 ft at a little over 2 months and like a xmas tree with a lot of side branches and huge colas. Once they are on 12, they bud quickly and heavily...I typically give it between 2-3 months in flowering or until it looks ready and branches are dropping. I've never varied much from my methods as I learned from an old guy who was doing this before anyone heard of it and taught it to me in the 70s. It always worked and if I tweaked something and it helped, I kept it. Truthfully, it has always worked great for me without using hydro or anything like that. I'm 60 years old and do it more as a hobby, as well as needing it medically.
The thing about this strain, even though it came from the oil pipeline workers during the 70s, I have no idea where it's true origins were...since Alaska isn't typically home to native cannabis. I always thought t was from the Vietnam area, but since it looks a lot like an Indica, I really don't know for certain. There weren't any labels or available seed banks and any seeds were usually found in the finished product, by luck! It is pretty consistant in both appearance and potency with not much variations. I have a crossed version from about 25 years back with an unknown but very good strain, so I have a few varieties plus the original. Private label? :cool:

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Right on man your a legend. Thanks. Not that I'm thinking of spending money on seeds at 10 dollars a pop, it's just that I'm on flowering-week 10 of my micro grow. Welp. I'm pretty sure I can attribute the seemingly long flowering time not only to random strain but to a few begginer's mistakes. lol

Last edited:
TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Haha better than any pharmaceutical therapy for sure!! My father in law always talks of the old days. The original Acapulco gold, pure sativa I'm told. Your not the only one afraid of lis their heirloom strains. I love what ur doing. If I'm still growing in 30 yrs I wonder what the "scene" will look like then?!?

Top Bottom