Greenhouse Opinions

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
looking for any guidance on greenhouses. I am looking to purchase a greenhouse to put on the property. I’ve seen a lot of hoop houses but I don’t think that’s what I want at this point. I’ve seen some that have polycarbonate panels I was thinking maybe that would be the way to go. This is all new to me so any advise, pros and cons that you’ve had to deal with would be appreciated.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Year round is my plan. I’ve got a 4 ton package unit I was planning on utilizing if need be. I’ve been looking at these.
88D98304 365A 4A81 9572 CF41E26C5083

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
6mm-polycarbonate are the panels. Good or bad?
8mm or better. 6mm breaks down too fast. Also the slots these panels fit into is about 12mm so hey ask for the proper thicknesses. Also when putting them together , silicon and roofing self tappers.
I have one of these 6x8 in my backyard. Heat loss is high. The aluminum acts as a heat sink. So I took th panels off and painted the aluminum black. Stopped the drain. I use a radiant heat system with copper running along the sides. And I have a 2 ‘ tall base side that’s a heat sink that holds the thermal load.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

if your gonna pour a slab under it,put tubing in the slab for heat,2 things i would go for is the radiant heat in floor,enough head room for shade cloth during summer if you dig,i would do footers instead of slab though,not for just the soil,i know im a soil guy,but im thinking more along the line of cool dirt dug out a bit just for thermal temps coming from the soil

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The automated blackout systems are " built to suit" once the structure and equipment is in place

Not on the ones I've seen. Blackout shades come as part of the kit. But I'm sure that has everything to do with the manufacturers preference.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Sooo... Only commercial guys know or care about greenhouses?
Did u ever get any good suggestions @1diesel1 ?
I am gonna start researching a small one. 10 x 12?
I would like something permanent that can withstand NE winters.
Lets get this thread going man!?
How's the injury? Hope ur doing well.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I'm a union carpenter! Hell yes! Now we're speaking my language!
Building the jig is the hardest part IMO. It took me forever to grasp how to get the layout done. His video and plans have a few things that are missing though but overall they are decent. I would recommend painting the struts to protect them though (at least on the part that is touching the plastic). Let me know if you need some help or info. IN the video it makes it seem like he is using 2x2s but in fact they are 1x1s that are glued together to bend easier. I bought the plans from this guy (shamrock Aquaponics) but decided to change it up a bit. Mine is 18' across instead of 16' like his plans (although he is showing a larger size in the video cause I think he sells 3 plan sizes.)I added about a foot to the height. Wind rating is 150mph and the gothic arch design is the best for snow load seeing how I am in Maine that was a necessity. If you know what you are doing though, I think the plans are a little unnecessary. I would also highly recommend digging a trench on both sides and laying down prefabricated wick drains to prevent the water from pooling and then cover with gravel. You also may want to check out his passive solar design if heat is a big issue in your area. End wall fans work okay but not so much when its mid summer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom