Grow #2 - Six Strains & A Freebee

• Thread starter Phylex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Phylex

Phylex

Update: Day 23

Customizing the rack is still a working progress. I changed the airflow with better intake and exhaust ports. I also added a 4" inline fan for the upper chamber. I still have more to do, but it should be done soon.

All six plants are looking nice and healthy. The little one that was slow to break ground is chugging along just fine. They're growing short and stout. Once I get some more growth, I'm going to clean up the bottom for a little more clearance from the soil.

Cab2
Cab7
Cab8
Cab9
SeedDay231
SeedDay232
SeedDay233
SeedDay234
Foxlink

Foxlink

You're rack is really nice, and I just have the basics on my rack- no insulation (sadly). However your minions are growing very very well. The little ones sometimes end up being the biggest or the most potent, so I'm glad you aren't giving up on them :) Can't wait 'till the looks from all of them, even though time is a necessity to make sure they grow well. ^_^

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

You're rack is really nice, and I just have the basics on my rack- no insulation (sadly). However your minions are growing very very well. The little ones sometimes end up being the biggest or the most potent, so I'm glad you aren't giving up on them :) Can't wait 'till the looks from all of them, even though time is a necessity to make sure they grow well. ^_^
Its true! Some of the goliath buds just dont have the same " je ne sais quoi "

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

What did u end up doing for the doors?
I like the adjustability, ease of assembly, time involved.
I'm doing a few inside starter grows at my cooperative friends houses.
We each start a few , then trade.
Voila what a MAAAARRRRVELOUS idea!!
So far blueberry, white banner , cheese/haze, white widow, skunk/haze, and auto COOKIE MONSTER!!!

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

OH strawberry something, and green crack too. I was working on a roof with 2 other guys and realized all 3 of us were already discreetly doing it .Why not trade. Met 2 more at school. While smoking in the parking lot

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Wow..fantastic job all of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A thought for you..I keep plants in extended veg sometimes, and to stop root circling, I made a sort of Air pot by just melting holes in the plastic nursery pots ..I suggest raising the pots a bit to get more air flow underneath. (pieces of bamboo between the bottem of the pot and drip tray work well)

I actually flowered a Reversed female in one..no issues since I wanted "her/him" small.

Air pot 2

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

A thought for you..I keep plants in extended veg sometimes, and to stop root circling, I made a sort of Air pot by just melting holes in the plastic nursery pots ..I suggest raising the pots a bit to get more air flow underneath. (pieces of bamboo between the bottem of the pot and drip tray work well)

I actually flowered a Reversed female in one..no issues since I wanted "her/him" small.

View attachment 853384

That's a nice option if you can't get any cloth pots. Good idea.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

So far blueberry, white banner , cheese/haze, white widow, skunk/haze, and auto COOKIE MONSTER!!!

Why don't you guys just take cuttings and clone?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

That's a nice option if you can't get any cloth pots. Good idea.
I also use 3-15 gallon cloth pots for late veg, just before I flip., but these have small footprints and it's very easy to transplant..Unlike cloth pots which are a PIA..even those with the velcro closures. Roots will stick in the cloth, but not on the plastic..that's why I use them..I have 1 gallon cloth pots that I never used and the real SIR POTS are too pricey for me in veg.

Phylex

Phylex

Thank you. I appreciate the compliment. I'm actually surprised it made it. It took a little bit of a surgical procedure to help it along. I delicately wanted to inspect what was going on so I started to remove the top soil practically grain by grain. I found it stuck and gave it a couple of days. After no results, I gently assisted the top above the soil. After another 2-3 days the starter leaves never opened. They were stuck together. So I grabbed a sharp razor blade and surgically sliced them open ever so carefully. All of this was a last ditch effort before I tossed it. And there it is, chugging along now. I too am glad I didn't give up on it because it's seemed to find life.

Phylex

Phylex

This is what I did with the doors.
1. Built the door frame out of 1x4 pine and the center piece was 1x3.
2. I used wood glue and dowels on the joints
3. I lined the perimeter of the rack where the door frame was going using a roll of the one sided sticky foam.
4. I then attached the door frame to the rack with bolts, sandwiching the foam between the frame and the rack to seal it.
5. I used 3/8" plywood for the doors, overlapping the frame using exterior hinges.
6. I attached the reflective insulator board to line the inside of the doors. It fits snuggly into the frame when the doors are close.
7. I just used the wood glue to attach the insulator to door, and rather than wait for the glue to dry, I bolted it as well.

Phylex

Phylex

View attachment 853384
Nifty ideas. I like it. Thank you. DIY is a lot more rewarding than paying out of the pocket.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Very nice rack setup. I love mine and have a few of them going in other locations. Great way to save space and it keeps everything nice and tidy. I'm getting great yields from mine and ventilation was built for optimal airflow using just one inline fan and carbon scrubber. I dry my harvested plants in there as well for odor control and it's worked very well for that.

Ironically some folks think my grow racks are expensive, yet by the time you do all the work and buy supplies it really isn't that much more. I'm using a commercial grade rack with dual layer vinyl sides that velcro to the rack so each side is easily accessible at anytime.

I've designed several other grow spaces (in the past) and while they were great, they all take up lots of space. By condensing it down to 1/2 the square footage I can have mine in the corner of my home office and don't have to worry about building a special grow space just to grow. Hell my brother is growing in a 2 bedroom apartment and just had an inspection back in December and they didn't even notice it, lol.

I've got several pics in my grow diaries of my setup so I won't post any more here. But kudos on your grow, you're doing a great job.

Phylex

Phylex

Very nice rack setup. I love mine and have a few of them going in other locations. Great way to save space and it keeps everything nice and tidy. I'm getting great yields from mine and ventilation was built for optimal airflow using just one inline fan and carbon scrubber. I dry my harvested plants in there as well for odor control and it's worked very well for that.

Ironically some folks think my grow racks are expensive, yet by the time you do all the work and buy supplies it really isn't that much more. I'm using a commercial grade rack with dual layer vinyl sides that velcro to the rack so each side is easily accessible at anytime.

I've designed several other grow spaces (in the past) and while they were great, they all take up lots of space. By condensing it down to 1/2 the square footage I can have mine in the corner of my home office and don't have to worry about building a special grow space just to grow. Hell my brother is growing in a 2 bedroom apartment and just had an inspection back in December and they didn't even notice it, lol.

I've got several pics in my grow diaries of my setup so I won't post any more here. But kudos on your grow, you're doing a great job.
Thanks for the kind words. The expense is spot on. I planned on the rack being less expensive than buying another tent. In the end, considering what I spent on materials, it was about the same. The only caveat is I have two completely separate chambers with my rack vs. if I bought a tent. That in it's self makes me feel a little better. Also, I get the satisfaction and enjoyment of building it and customizing it as my own. I like your rack. (your grow rack that is) lol. I never understood how you could keep the veg cycle separate from the flower cycle with one opening. But velcro makes sense. I knew you couldn't possibly have light leakage. I didn't think of velcro, that's why I just made two separate chambers. I'll say it again, I really like your rack. haha

Seraphine

Seraphine

View attachment 853384
Glad to see I’m not the only one to drill holes in my pots!

Top Bottom